Profile for Bongo McBongo > Reviews

Doidy Cup - Turquoise
Doidy Cup - Turquoise
Offered by Emjays Webstore LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but the handles need improvement, 15 Dec. 2013
Loved the cup. I don't believe in sippy cups, I think they drag out the process of teaching a child to drink. My daughter was drinking with her own doidy cup at 10 months. (Babies CAN do it, you just have to trust them!)

My only complaint is the handles. They are quite thin. I think this cup could be improved with chunkier, more ergonomic handles for little hands.

Tippitoes Doorway Bouncer
Tippitoes Doorway Bouncer
Offered by bargains_expert

4.0 out of 5 stars Kid LOVED it, 15 Dec. 2013
It's a bit fiddly to get the kid in and out of. It's not the kind you can leave hanging in a door frame and lift the kid in and out at will. But then, it's a lot less expensive than that type of bouncer, and takes up a lot less storage space when not in use.

I found the best way to get my kid in and out was to lay the harness on the floor, lay her on top of it, and bring it up between her legs before buckling her in (much in the way you put on a nappy). So it takes a couple minutes to get the kid in, but once in my daughter absolutely loved it. It was sturdy and well-made, nothing flimsy, and even after months and months of use, it's in perfectly serviceable condition for my second child. (So much so that I expect when no. 2 is done with it, I will be able to give it friends.)

Cheap, well made, and the kids love it. What more could you ask for?

Potty Training In One Week
Potty Training In One Week
by Gina Ford

2.0 out of 5 stars Good advice for upper middle class people with huge houses, hardwood floors, and no life, 15 Dec. 2013
Basically Ford advises you lock yourself in one room of your house for a week with your child, and it must be a room with wipe-clean floors. Well, our house was so small my daughter and I couldn't stand to stay indoors for a whole day without going out, let alone a week, and the only room with a smooth floor was the galley-sized kitchen. There was just NO WAY we were going to stay in day after day in that tiny room and think about nothing other than peeing in plastic pot.

And who wants to give up an entire week of library rhyme times, toddler play groups, and trips to the play ground? I'm convinced that had I tried this (and one of the main reasons I didn't) was that by denying my daughter all our usual fun excursions she would perceive potty-training as a punishment.

And if you work full-time? Ford expects you to take a week off work to potty train your kid! Bonkers. Don't bother. There are loads of books on potty-training out there with much more balanced, practical advice.

The ONE thing I will say for this book, it does have the most comprehensive readiness checklist of any of the books I read. It also suggested was to teach your child the difference between the meanings of the words "wet" and "dry." For that, it gets 2 stars intstead of 1.

The Coochi Coocoose Baby Bathing Apron/ Towel
The Coochi Coocoose Baby Bathing Apron/ Towel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically useful., 15 Dec. 2013
It's an apron and a towel in one. Keeps you dry while your little one splashes, and makes it much easier to juggle baby and towel when bath time is over. I love mine and I buy another whenever one of my friends has a baby.

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars You've got to use your judgement and do what works for you, 15 Dec. 2013
No one person has all the answers, because every baby and mother is different.

Some of what Ford has to say was quite useful (for example, my baby was not napping well during the day, but I was keeping her downstairs with me where I could keep her close. I was nervous about putting her in her cot in a dark room during the day because I didn't want to confuse her well-established day/night rhythm. Ford recommended the same sleeping arrangement for naps as for night. I gave it a try and within 2 days my daughter was napping better, more regularly, and was happier and more alert when she was up. Problem solved).

But some of the things she advocates are so crazy I wonder she hasn't been arrested. (For example, she advises giving an otherwise breast-fed baby a bottle of water or thin fruit juice once a day. THAT'S NOT JUST CRAZY, IT'S DANGEROUS.)

She advocated routine, which I agree with.

She also says that in order to breas-feed successfully, you need to shell out hundreds of pounds on a double-sided electric breast pump, because a baby alone won't give enough stimulation to keep up your milk supply. That is UTTER BOLLOCKS. (Think about it: if that kind of fancy equipment were necessary, human beings would have died out long before we managed to invent electricity.)

So like all so-called "experts," you have to cherry-pick the advice that makes sense to you, and first and foremost, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS AS A MOTHER. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it just becuse Gina Ford told you.

Dual Channel TENS Machine
Dual Channel TENS Machine

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for in labour, 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dual Channel TENS Machine
Bought this for when I went into labour because I was convinced that the TENS machines that were marketed specifically for labour and delivery (and cost twice as much) were the same device with different labelling, and I refused to be a sucker. Oops.

The machine works fine, but the programs are too fiddly and specific to use while in labor. You've got to pre-set how long you want the buzz to last and at what intensity. There isn't a convenient on/off switch that you can push when a contraction starts and flip off when it subisides. If you're looking for a machine to assist with labour, it isn't this one.

The First Years Airflow Positioner
The First Years Airflow Positioner

5.0 out of 5 stars Used it to position my daughter for side-sleeping, as they do on the continent., 15 Dec. 2013
I was unhappy with the NHS advice to place my daughter to sleep on her back, but I accept that tummy sleeping has it's own can of worms. A German friend suggested side-sleeping, so we bought this to position her. Worked a treat.

You can adjust the spacing between the cushions to grow with the baby. Ours was very content and a great sleeper from day 1. And I never worried that she would roll onto her face and smother herself, or that she would spit up and choke on her own vomit from lying on her back.

Our neighbor's baby wouldn't sleep anywhere except on a person. The minute they put her down she woke up and cried. I suggested they try this, becasue the two cushions give the baby a secure feeling of being held and snuggled. They borrowed ours and it saved their sanity. 2 nights later they ordered their own. Highly recommend.

Emma Jane 371 Sleep/Nursing Bra, 38 White
Emma Jane 371 Sleep/Nursing Bra, 38 White
Offered by Bumps Maternity Wear

2.0 out of 5 stars Weirdly proportioned, 15 Dec. 2013
Because this bra doesn't come with separate back and cup sizes (it's just a S, M, L, etc), it didn't work for me. It's supposed to be a nursing bra, but the makers don't seem to have noticed that nursing women have larger-than-normal breasts for their back size. I'm normally a 34A. After my daughter was born I was a 36G (!!!!!!), and over the next 7 months as my daughter grew and solid food began to replace milk, by cup and back size both shrunk. I think in that time this bra fit me for about 2 weeks, when I was a nice, normal 34C. But even then it wasn't very supportive. Overall, not impressed. (I would recommend the Bravado Sublime. Expensive, but totally worth it.)

Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
by Gill Rapley

5.0 out of 5 stars Annabel Caramel, step aside! THIS is how to feed a baby!, 15 Dec. 2013
This book changed my life.

I had always intended to make my own baby food rather than buy it, but it never occurred to me you can skip baby food completely and go straight to real food. Then my friend read this and tried it with her daughter, and i was so impressed I tried it with mine. There is no better way to feed a baby.

The premise is this: all a baby needs until about 6 months is milk. After that, if a baby can sit upright, pick up food, and get the food to her mouth, she's ready for real food. It's very safe: the gag reflex is very close to the front of the tongue in small babies (it moves to the back of the the throat around the age of 1), so when they're young is the SAFEST time to introduce solid food, when they will gag and spit it out LONG BEFORE they're in danger of choking.

Your baby will be delighted to copy you, eat the food you eat, and join the sociability of meals with the family. She will have loads of fun exploring a much wider range of tastes and textures than baby food would provide (thus helping her to NOT be a picky eater as she grows up), and her fine motor skills will come on leaps and bounds as she masters grasping different food items (pasta is slippery, bananas squish, etc).

The comedy that ensues is hilarious. Be prepared for mess galore, learn to laugh at it, and remember it's short-lived. A baby who is allowed to feed herself from the very start will be a much neater eater than her peers in a few months, and will be moving on to cutlerly before you know it.

Dining out is a dream, too. My daughter was happy to sit on my lap and help herself to whatever was on my plate. (Obviously I gave some consideration to her when ordering. For instance, I would avoid salad, as she didn't have the molars to chew leaves.) She never fussed, threw food, or demanded "kid food."

I cringe when I see parents stuffing spoons of gloop into their baby's mouth. It's a misery for everyone, and totally unnecessary. If your baby is spitting out her puree' slop, and constantly grabbing at the spoon (which you are forever wrestling away from her), then, like most babies, she is telling you she wants control. It's not that babies don't want to eat, it's that most babies don't want to be fed, which is entirely different.

In short, I cannot recommend this book enough. If you're nervous about what sorts of food are safest, or how to include your baby in family meals, I also recommend the companion "Baby-led Weaning Cookbook." Full of useful recipes for the whole family that your baby will be delighted to share. (And I swear, I have to connection to the author or publisher. :-D)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't live without it, 15 Dec. 2013
I like carrying my children. I carried them in a baby bjorn until they outgrew it, and then I carried them on this. I have a bad lower back (degenerate disk in my lumbar spine), so standing with a hip jutted out to the side to support a small child is not an option for me. This enables me to balance a child securely and comfortably (both of us), while keeping my back straight and my weight on both my feet. I used it from when my kids were about 5 months old (when they outgrew the bjorn) until they walked competently at about 16 months. (And they were big kids.) I carried them to and from parks, around airports, in supermarkets, and even while cooking dinner! For clingy kids who don't want to be put down (and why should they? Every other primate carries their babies around), you can keep your offspring happy and still get on with your life. Highly recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11