Profile for JF > Reviews

JF (Bath, UK)

Brother HL-2270DW Compact Wireless Mono Laser Printer
Brother HL-2270DW Compact Wireless Mono Laser Printer
Offered by Ideal Office Supplies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - especially if you don't have a CD-ROM drive, 1 Jun. 2014
Exactly the same experience as M.T. Humberstone. I consider myself pretty tech-savvy but could not get this to connect to WiFi. Brother "Technical Support" is non-existent.

First up, installation packages are on a CD-ROM. No good if you have a machine with no optical drive...still pretty commonplace, but surely these days an outdated medium shouldn't be the main way of getting a driver to a user, it will nearly always be out of date by time of use....Still, Google around and download the drivers and Setup Wizard from their retro website...whoah, 113MB?? Ah but that's the wizard for every single one of their printers...so navigate to the correct one, about 5 folders deep. This looks right, OK, enter network details...and it's crashed. Not only has it crashed but the wizard process CAN'T BE TERMINATED and keeps running in the background. Even forcing a quit via the operating system can't shut it down. So a hard reboot is necessary. THREE TIMES. Every time the wizard runs, it hangs and takes the OS with it.

I tried another solution online but you need to keep resetting the printer and checking its internal configuration. Each and every time this spits out 6 sheets of paper, and every time the machine was showing the wrong setup.

I try tech support - they ensure "they are by my side all the way through this". But they are the American support team and can't help me. I try the localised UK website. 2 requests go unanswered after 48 hours. The third arrives with an Automatically Generated Support Solution. Great. So a computer knows how to fix their printer. I open the doc - it's a link. I go there - it takes me to the FRONT PAGE OF THEIR KNOWLEDGE BASE. I KNOW WHERE YOUR KNOWLEDGE BASE IS!!! I'VE ALREADY SPENT 3 HOURS ON IT!!!

So for this, back to Amazon. I will never buy another Brother product, if this is anything to go by they are dinosaurs and deserve to become extinct like them.

SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Smooth White] Premium Matte Hard Case for Nexus 5 - Smooth White
Offered by Spigen UK Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't provide full protection, 25 Nov. 2013
This is a beautifully engineered case and it fits perfectly. All ports and controls accessible, plus it's very competitively priced. If you're thinking about buying it however, look at the pictures carefully - I didn't. It would be 5 stars but the case doesn't wrap the top and bottom leading (i.e. front of phone) edges, which are vulnerable if dropped.

Programming in Objective-C (Developer's Library)
Programming in Objective-C (Developer's Library)
by Stephen G. Kochan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why the great reviews..., 17 Jan. 2013
I'm completely new to programming and after a brief dalliance with Python bought this as my first Obj-C text, having been impressed by the "best introductory book on any programming language ever" reviews. I started it, gave up and went on to an iOS book for a bit, then came back to plug some of the many Obj-C holes in my knowledge - and still find it very mediocre. Personally I can't see why this gets 5 stars. I don't want to be unfair and slate the book as I think it is well-intentioned, but I really don't get on with it.

Firstly, this book is VERY dry and it's quite hard graft plugging through it. There are lots of code examples but each one builds a tiny bit on the previous, with far too much padding before the next example.

I think learning some basic C is key before plunging into objects, yet this starts in the middle.

The explanations are verbose and sometimes confusing - and sometimes the author starts at the end. For instance, the chapter on pointers only tells you what a pointer is after several pages - why not state this at the very beginning!!! You learn to dereference pointers etc before you even learn the very key essence of pointers, that they simply hold an address. Other texts and internet resources do this far better and in half the space. The chapter on Copying Objects - very confusingly - tells you all the deficiencies of the NSCopy methods, in a very beat-around-the-bush way but doesn't tell you what to really do until a later chapter.

It's not a terrible book, but I bought the Big Nerd Ranch Obj-C Guide after this and many things that weren't clear suddenly made themselves so. OOP broken down into really concise chunks. Maybe just a personal preference, but those books really get to the nub of why things are the way they are, without the waffle. If you're starting out, I'd suggest comparing the 2 and seeing which you prefer.

A State Of Trance 2009
A State Of Trance 2009
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss, 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2009 (Audio CD)
Had to get this as soon as I had caught up with some of AVBs recent podcasts - and the highlights are all on here. Best so far in the ASOT series, not a single duff track on there. Some incredible moments in there like Mat Zo's Fractal Universe - very beautiful and I could listen to it on perma loop. ASOT 2007 contained some tracks bordering on techno, this is much more melodic. For that reason it won't be to everyone's taste.

Seamlessly mixed by a master. On the download version you get individual tracks as well as the mix as a separate "track". Can't recommend highly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2009 9:51 PM BST

How to Stop Your Doctor Killing You
How to Stop Your Doctor Killing You
by Vernon Coleman

4.0 out of 5 stars Close to Home, 7 Jun. 2007
Like the reviewer below I'm a doctor and the vast majority of what Vernon Coleman says is painfully true. When I first saw it on the coffee table at work I got cross - knee jerk reaction - then started reading. I found myself nodding in agreement.

I've met plenty of narrow-minded doctors, some who are simply unable to think after too many years of rote-learning. It's a slightly depressing read for this very reason, that so many colleagues are as Vernon describes. I think he's a bit too keen on sources of information that are prone to being incorrect (libraries often out of date and the internet full of misleading stuff as well as the facts) but it's a good book to help you understand the medical profession.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2012 11:48 AM BST

Lucky Number Slevin [DVD]
Lucky Number Slevin [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Hartnett
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars See it, 1 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Lucky Number Slevin [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this on the recommendation of the man in the video shop. I was dubious at first as I hadn't heard much about it, but it's a great, great movie.

Stellar performances all round, Josh Hartnett is surprisingly good in the lead role, and the plot has plenty of twists and turns. The dialogue is often hilarious, and the end of the film is inspired and quite a shock if you don't see it coming!

I watched it twice on the same day and then bought the DVD. One of my favourite movies of the past few years.

Sony Ericsson W810i Prepay Mobile Phone On Vodafone
Sony Ericsson W810i Prepay Mobile Phone On Vodafone

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Dec. 2006
An awesome piece of kit once you get used to SonyEricsson's menu systems and quirky back button. The interface is very different if you're coming from a Nokia, but well worth the effort.

It comes bundled with a 512MB ProDuo memory card which can store about 10 albums on at decent quality, but pay an extra £100 or so and you can slot in a 4GB card - hey presto, an iPod Nano for £60 less. OK, so its slower to access tracks and you don't have the "badge" of an iPod but they can't make phone calls, access the radio and internet or take nice and sharp 2 megapixel photos. The free headphones are really good quality - only criticism is that the soft rubber plugs tend to fall out of your ears when running. You can buy bigger ones quite cheaply though.

Overall, an amazing piece of kit. You won't be disappointed.