Profile for BobM > Reviews

Content by BobM

BobM (South East England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I Saw The Devil [DVD]
I Saw The Devil [DVD]
Dvd ~ Byung-hun Lee
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Gory portrayal of a serial killer and his ultimate demise., 5 April 2016
This review is from: I Saw The Devil [DVD] (DVD)
This is a particularly gritty movie. Most definitely not for the feint hearted, it is all about a nasty serial killer being pursued by a bitter detective after revenge following his fiancé's death at the killer's hands. The murders are portrayed graphically (the Korean's don't hold back) and the suspense is tangible throughout as he stalks his victims.
The last half of the movie moves the story in another direction of killing, but equally watchable. The end unforgettable!
I count myself as being somewhat hardened to gore and threat. This rates highly in my estimation as I still found it edge of the seat stuff.
Don't watch it if you are of a delicate disposition. You won't like it. Not at all.

Under The Skin [DVD] [2014]
Under The Skin [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johanssen

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird and most definately NOT wonderful, 14 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Under The Skin [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I fortunately didn't pay top dollar for this pretentious rubbish.......My God, what a load of twaddle. WEIRD is putting it mildly.
If the film is supposed to win over pundits by full frontal nudity, of which both male and female are in evidence, then it doesn't work as the all important plot is pretty well non-existent, with minimal dialogue, and most of that spoken in what is to me unintelligible broad Scottish.
Many would describe this as an "art film". Yes, I suppose so, if the school of art comprised scrawled pencil lines across a dark canvas.
Anyway, I cannot think of anything positive to say other than don't bother with it.

Victorinox Huntsman Pocket Knife, Grey Box - Red
Victorinox Huntsman Pocket Knife, Grey Box - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, but not that easy to open some of the accessories, 29 Aug. 2015
I have a Victorinox pocket knife which has stood the test of time over many years. Only had a couple of blades so I thought it about time to upgrade to the Huntsman. Why this model? Some of the more elaborate knives have, in my opinion, gadgets that would seldom if ever be used. Why pay money for such add-ons? The Huntsman has, by and large, useful component parts.
Some of these are quite fiddly to open up, eg the hook, and the wood saw. In fact, I had to look really hard to locate the saw, as it wasn't obvious. And when I did open it I punctured my finger (slightly) on the super-sharp serrated blade (!)
Scissors are brilliant, sharp and easy to use. Yeh, the reamer and eye will probably never be used, and the hook will seldom see the light of day, but all others will be very useful.
I will purchase a case so it can be secured on the belt, as leaving it buried in my rucksack or the recesses of a pocket isn't such a good idea.
All in all, first class!

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Offered by Mattpuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant compilation!, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Having bought this compilation as a young guy on vinyl, and then having consigned the LP, along with all my others, to the dark recesses of my understairs cupboard, I had a clear out. There it was!
I have recently renewed my interest in The Beatles, and in particular Paul McCartney and Wings. Recent purchases include Ram (excellent) and A Hard Days Night (first class). So, looking at the list of songs on Wings Greatest I knew I had to buy the CD. Absolutely brilliant!
Not a poor song on this album.
God, it took me back. Back to the halcyon days of my young adulthood. What fond memories. McCartney was a brilliant musician, as were the fellow members of Wings (including Linda). Alas, nowadays, he has regressed like so many others (eg Elton John) to become a bit of a club singer. But back in the day? Oh yes!

Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live [DVD]
Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Gabriel
Offered by M & L UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel in top form in this concert from Italy in 1994., 8 Aug. 2015
Yes, like many, I cut my teeth as a teenager on early Genesis, and Gabriel has lived on musically with me to this day, through all his modified musical styles, and never tires.
I love listening to his music, but seeing him perform in concert footage takes it to another level.
As is to be expected with a professional musician who has been at the top of his game for so many years, he gives everything he does 110%.
The choreographed moves Gabriel has, particularly with long time stalwarts Levin and Rhodes, makes me laugh. Very whimsical.
The stage and set is (as ever) designed with lot's of moving walkways, reveals, pyrotechnics, imaginative lighting etc etc.
His interpretation (intro's particularly) of his songs goes some way off the mark in his live performances at times, but nonetheless doesn't suffer for this.
And the female vocalist Paula Cole is really very good indeed, especially on the song Don't Give Up.
A great way to spend a couple of hours, well worthy of the 5 stars I award this.

The Sum Of No Evil
The Sum Of No Evil
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable album with some noteable and unique segments, 8 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Sum Of No Evil (Audio CD)
I have a few albums by the Kings, and a DVD of them performing in concert (Instant Delivery), and some Transatlantic concert footage that feature Roine Stolt on lead guitar and sharing lead vocals. Stolt is undoubtedly a great performer, with much talent, and that shines through in this album.
Shades of those prog greats Yes shine through, and the Mellotron sound is oft to be heard. and all the musicians contribute well to the overall sound.
I have listened to the album 3 times now, and most of it is in the "great music" category, in my considered opinion. A couple of tracks carry some music which is a little obscure, but will probably grow on me with a few more listens.
I recommend this album to those of you who enjoy prog in it's 1970's format with added "new century" embellishments.

Heaven & Hell -Live From Radio City Music Hall [DVD]
Heaven & Hell -Live From Radio City Music Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ronnie James Dio

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant concert!, 8 Aug. 2015
I have always appreciated the superb versatility of Ronnie James Dio's voice. Truly way up there with the best. When I spotted this concert, which features three other musicians which are also way up there for their sheer skill and dexterity, I just had to buy the DVD. Thank God I did. It is excellent!
Dio was a personable guy with 100% talent. His loss in 2010 was very sad. He had much more to give, undoubtedly. His enjoyment of the performance and his amiable nature shines through seeing his interaction with the audience.
Tony Iommi plays brilliantly. Some of his riffs are as heavy as they can be.
Geezer Butler plays bass with a dexterity and speed that astounds.
Vinny Appice "gives it large" on the drums.
All four musicians are happy to perform without the theatrics of many contemporaries. Jumping around the stage like men possessed is not their thing. A refreshing change.
Some good extras add to the quality of the overall package.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Watched it twice in fact, which with my busy schedule says it all.

This Is the Army [DVD] [1943] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
This Is the Army [DVD] [1943] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality transfer but a great film nonetheless!, 9 May 2015
Very amusing film this in regard to the pure "God bless America" genre of films. Yeh, very "gung ho" with it's emphasis on what I could describe as the ideal of American supremacy in the World, but it was produced with the ideal of helping support the United States military as they entered the 2nd World War.
The quality is pretty poor, it must be said, and it is region 1 so be warned if you live in Europe.
But, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
And what the heck.....if the yanks hadn't entered the war when they did we would almost certainly be under Nazi occupation today, so I repeat "God bless America!"

Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD]
Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars For me, way too advanced. Couldn't cope with most of the exercises., 30 Mar. 2015
Maybe I am too old and unfit to cope with most of the exercises portrayed here, but here's what happened.
Firstly a bit of background. I am 58, male, and not overweight, but have a recurring back problem (lower back), and also count myself as of average fitness for a man of my age. I swim once a week and walk regularly. I have done 2 sessions of pilates with an instructor at the local village hall and was the only man there, apart from the instructor, so felt a bit isolated. I found the pilates he had us do pretty straightforward and performed very gently and very slowly. So, Pilates for dummies? And all the positive reviews? Got to be the way forward for me......
So, full of expectation, I started the DVD. Shame it is American, as so many of these fitness products seem to be, but so be it.
It started well, with a few standing stretches, but I did notice it was "straight into it" with no real opportunity to get the hang of it before doing the reps at the pace of the instructor. But then, oh my!
I simply couldn't do most of the standing or prone exercises. They were too advanced. Way too advanced. Too fast. Too rhythmic. And I could feel my back getting sore.
I guess I could only do about a quarter of the exercises. Too fast, too stretchy. Lifting legs up, twisting, and simultaneously moving arms around was in my opinion in no way for beginners.
I will persevere, give it another couple of goes, see if I progress.
BUT, in my opinion, this is NOT for dummies. People like me. Maybe a supple 30/40 year old could do far better?
It will probably end up collecting dust never to see the light of day again...................
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2016 6:45 PM BST

ClimeMET CM2016, CM2026 and CM2000 UK 6V Power Adaptor
ClimeMET CM2016, CM2026 and CM2000 UK 6V Power Adaptor
Offered by The UK Weather Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 29 Mar. 2015
See my review for the weather station. Yep. This is fit for purpose. Better than batteries.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20