Profile for BobM > Reviews

Content by BobM

BobM (South East England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2008]
Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Eric Johnson
Price: 12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly talented guitarist, 24 May 2014
I had never heard of Eric Johnson until I watched Steve Morse performing with Deep Purple and was inspired to run a few searches on the best rated electric guitar maestros of all time. Eric Johnson was way up there, so I bought this DVD of a concert performed in Austin, Texas way back in December 1988.
13 tracks over almost exactly one hour showcase his talents and that of his 2 backing musicians, Kyle Brock on bass and Tommy Taylor on drums. On one song Brock does a truly great solo on bass guitar.
The staggering speed at which Johnson's fingers move over the frets is astounding, and it seemed flawless.
Thoroughly enjoyed it!

KINGFISHER TRADITIONAL BRONZE EFFECT GARDEN OUTDOOR BIRD BATH TABLE WEATHERPROOF
Offered by Topnotchsales
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy birdbath and really quite pretty, 16 May 2014
Easy to assemble the bird bath comes in a few pieces and basically just screws together.
The birds that are attached to the side look OK from a distance, and it is pretty deep and wide.
Although the local bird life is keeping it at a wide birth at present, I know it is only a matter of days before it get's used fully.

Rutland Arbour
Rutland Arbour

4.0 out of 5 stars I agree with other reviewers about assembly problems., 9 May 2014
This review is from: Rutland Arbour (Garden & Outdoors)
I approached this purchase (from a garden centre at 149.99) with some cynicism as I know how tricky these things can be to assemble.
Everything was supplied, with a few extra screws.
I first painted it with some Cuprinol wood stain. (very labour intensive that)
Then the assembly started.
I gathered the suggested tools, and read the instructions. Awful photocopying left the pictures so poor that some guess work was required. Within 10 minutes I was back in my garage getting 1) my mallet and 2) another larger drill bit to the 3mm suggested.
The pre-drilled holes left a lot to be desired.
It was in the early stages a bit warped but as further components were added to the structure it straightened out.
Several pieces of wood were very roughly finished and there was a split right in the wrong place (the seat edge) which I had to sort out.
It is a 2 handed job in places, especially doing the roof.
But, when finished, and in situ, it looks pretty good.
Allow several hours for assembly.
Oh and the illustration and instructions for the fascia boards are very confusing. The illustrations differ between the picture of the assembled arbour and the instruction picture.

GTR - Live
GTR - Live
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4UK
Price: 20.02

4.0 out of 5 stars An expensive opportunity to view a rare event., 9 May 2014
This review is from: GTR - Live (DVD)
This DVD wasn't cheap.
Well over 20 and it came from Japan.
But it is of reasonable video/audio quality. I say reasonable, but it must be stated that Steve Howe's guitar was significantly less amplified than Steve Hackett's. The bass at times was distractingly loud compared with the other elements of the band.
The keyboard player got no mention on the DVD sleeve notes (those that weren't in Japanese that is). Matt Clifford apparantly (thanks Google).
After the 4th track we are subjected to a man and woman talking in German (I think....that seems to be where the concert was) with German subtitles scrolling across the screen. All very odd.
The bassist, Phil Spalding, spent most of the time imitating Dr.Feelgood's Wilko Johnson's jerky back and forth head jerks, to the point I reckon he must have damaged his spine..............?
The lead singer, Max Bacon, has a very "shouty" voice. I say no more.
Hackett certainly played with more dominance than Howe.
Track listing:
1. Jekyll and Hyde
2. Here I wait
3. The Hunter
4. When the heart rules the mind
5. Prizefighter
6. Imagining
7. Hackett to bit (Ridiculous edit lasting about 30 seconds)
8. Roundabout
9. You can still get through
10. Reach out (Never say no)
All in all, yeh, good, perhaps a few more times watching it will pay dividends for me.

Live In Concert At The 2006 Montreux Festival [CD + DVD
Live In Concert At The 2006 Montreux Festival [CD + DVD
Price: 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic performance by the old boys, showing they've still got it!, 9 May 2014
Great concert this, and shot in high quality (both video and audio).
Steve Morse shines as lead guitarist.
Quite a few tracks off their (what was then) new album, but no issues as they are good songs.
The latter tracks are classics of old, eg Smoke on the Water, Black Night and Highway Star, and well performed.
A weird guy appears at the back end of the concert. Looks a bit like Richard Odeyode from the IT Crowd.
I have no idea who he is. Danced like a thing possessed and quite frankly looked a bit of a wally.
He doesn't do a lot to enhance the concert it has to be said................
That aside, excellent!

Mens Green Prestige Boilersuit, Overall, Coverall.
Mens Green Prestige Boilersuit, Overall, Coverall.
Offered by Army And Workwear
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 9 May 2014
Having somehow lost my old overalls in the Bermuda Triangle of my house (!) I bought these last week and I have to say they are top quality, heavy duty fabric, with capacious pockets and a sturdy zip.
Maybe the XXL size is a little big for me but no issues.
Thoroughly recommended!

Ed Hardy Hearts And Dagger Men Eau de Toilette 100ml
Ed Hardy Hearts And Dagger Men Eau de Toilette 100ml
Offered by Online Beauty Buys
Price: 26.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fragrance, 2 May 2014
Long lasting, aromatic, musky, I have absolutely no complaints with this fragrance.
I can recommend it personally and as usual Amazon offer great value for your money.

4head stick 3.6g
4head stick 3.6g
Offered by ach cosmetics
Price: 5.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Distracting relief?, 27 April 2014
This review is from: 4head stick 3.6g (Personal Care)
This applicator applies a pleasant menthol to the forehead, which aside from the nice smell critically suffuses the area with a warmness, even hotness, which provides a destraction from the headache.
It is not a cure. How could menthol penetrate the skull? If it did it sure as heck wouldn't do the brain any good.
But, in conjunction with a suitable painkiller, and an effort to relax, won't do any harm, put it that way.
It has certainly made my family and I happier than may otherwise have been the case with those occasional annoying headaches.
Much better than the strips as well.

Death Walks Behind You - Expanded Edition
Death Walks Behind You - Expanded Edition
Price: 8.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark rocking masterpiece does it for me (as did Pan's People!), 27 April 2014
I recall seeing Atomic Rooster on Top of the Pops performing "Tomorrow Night", doubtless with Pan's People providing much distraction to a randy teenager like I then was!
I remember both this track and "The Devil's Answer" having an impact upon me.
Being into Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, and such like, the music of this band was no great deviation from my "norm".
But, to my loss, I never bought this album on vinyl (in those halcyon days)until now on CD, as I approach my late 50's.
Excellent, I am so glad I have now listened to everthing this album offers.
Stand out tracks for me, apart from "Tomorrow Night" are:
Death walks behind you: Haunting, dark, brooding start leads in to a great, rocking track.
Seven lonely streets: Starts with a church organ/bass line, becoming a great, heavy, masterpiece.
Sleeping for years: Up there with Seven lonely streets, heavy, with great drumming and vocals, and a wonderfully dark riff.
Nobody else: Odd vocal start, then piano leading in to guitar then vocal, this track is lively, funky with great guitar playing.
Gershatzer: Classic instrumental. Cutting edge, sounds a little like ELP at times, with a heavy interlude on keyboards.
The bonus tracks are very good too, with "Play the game" as a stand out, and superb versions of "Tomorrow Night" and "Devil's Answer".
All said and done, 5 stars without a doubt!

Parts - The Clonus Horror [DVD]
Parts - The Clonus Horror [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Graves

4.0 out of 5 stars Maintains the attention throughout, 27 April 2014
I bought this on the recommendation of a colleague, who has a penchant for this type of thriller/horror from the 1970's.
Telling the story of a large group of cloned teenagers in a secret compound somewhere near Milwalkee, and being basically "farmed" for their organs, with political undertones, it is worth the 4 stars I give it.
The acting is adequately good, some of the women resemble Farrah Fawcett-Majors, and it even features Peter Graves (Mission Impossible and, of course, Captain Over in Airplane).
The only scary bits really aren't. I can only guess it warrants an 18 because you can see the occasional female breast and pubic hair of the frozen naked bodies strung up in the freezer.
A dark ending with the promise of hope for those poor unsuspecting clones!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20