Profile for Ms. B. Gunnewicht > Reviews

Content by Ms. B. Gunnewicht

Ms. B. Gunnewicht (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cool Camping: France (Cool Camping)
Cool Camping: France (Cool Camping)
by Nicola Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Birthday Present for Camper, 4 Oct 2010
I bought this book as a birthday present for someone who likes to go camping in France and she is delighted with it. I chose it because I think the Cool Camping series are excellent books; I have several myself and they can be used for years.

Unforgettable Journeys To Take Before You Die (Unforgettable... Before You Die)
Unforgettable Journeys To Take Before You Die (Unforgettable... Before You Die)
by Steve Watkins
Price: 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars the ideal present for someone retiring or nearly, 23 Aug 2010
Having been given this book and its companion books for my 60th birthday and loving them, I now consider them when buying presnts for anyone for 50th or 60th birthdays, which was the reason why I recently bought the book this time. The book makes you want to get out and go there before you miss the chance! The illustrations are beautiful.

Many of the choices could be anticipated, but are nevertheless interesting to read about eg The Silk Route to Samarkand or Route 66 USA, but others are less expected, such as walking the Wordsworh Trail through the Lake District. The choices made in the book are therefore very personal as well as some being more obvious. In addition to descriptions there is information about how to take the journies, where to stay and how to get there with details of other publications you may need.

From the book I still want to go through the Patagonian Fjords in Chile and travel the Trans Mongolian Railway. I would also love to do Shackleton's voyage in Antarctica but I haven't got his stamina and may therefore give it a miss. It's good to read about it though!

SunnCamp Junior Sleeping Bag - Alphabet Animal
SunnCamp Junior Sleeping Bag - Alphabet Animal

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and bright, 23 Aug 2010
I was rather hesitant when I ordered this product after reading the reviews others had written, particularly comments about the fabric. It is true that the fabric is very reminiscent of market stalls in the 1950's, it is nevertheless bright and cheerful and attractive.

I bought the sleeping bag for my grandson's 4th birthday and he was overjoyed with it. His favourite colour is orange and this was near enough. There was loads of room and although he is tall for his age now it will last him many years.

He lives in Greece and the temperature this June was pushing 40 degrees but he insisted in going to bed in it with the zip done up! We had to rescue him later when he had fallen asleep as he would have cooked! He particularly liked the built in pillow.

We weren't allowed to try putting it back in it's bag, but my daughter said she saw no problem.

HG Hardwood Colour Renovator
HG Hardwood Colour Renovator
Offered by Pharmacy Place
Price: 6.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 23 Aug 2010
This is a really effective and value for money product. Last year I bought it at a well known home and garden store but this year they didn't have any so explored Amazon for it and Bingo. Also cheaper. Unlike some outdoor furniture cleaning products I have tried you are not scrubbing away for hours! You simply spray the stuff on, wait ten minutes and wash off. Hosing is best. I have a large teak table and eight chairs with arms and managed to clean it with two bottles. Three would definately do it or you could do a preliminary wash down with soap and water to save money or buy more bottles if you are rich and also want to save effort and time.

Three tips: Always wear old clothes while you do this as there is a bleach element that mottled a nice tee shirt I was wearing. Also don't do the operation when the sun is too hot as the stuff will dry before it works properly and when thoroughly washed and then dried be sure to have your preferred teak oil or furniture oil ready as removing the centuries of dirt will leave the wood very thirsty.

I always perform these tasks on the lawn which never seems bothered by the chemicals and appreciates the water and I am not worried about scratching the chairs if I roll them over to reach better.

I have recommended this product to a friend who says she already uses this company's mould remover as being the best she can get.

Birkenstock Roma Birko-Flor, Style-No. 33743, Children Sandals, Cherry, EU 27, slim width

5.0 out of 5 stars best sandals ever, 5 Jun 2010
I bought these for my grandson aged 3. He had some hand-me-down Birkenstocks from his cousin last year and loved them. When he got these he wouldn't take them off. They are comfortable and supportive and lovely to look at. He willgrow out of them long before they show signs of wear if the last ones are anything to go by.

Kideco Cardboard Rocket Toy Playhouse (White)
Kideco Cardboard Rocket Toy Playhouse (White)
Offered by 3WM Ltd
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars spaceship to the moon!, 5 Jun 2010
Although I searched through Amazon for several days I could not find this! It wasn't until Amazon sent me an email with some suggestions (which they often do if you search for something and don't buy) and it was just what I was looking for.

I bought it for my grandson's 3rd birthday. He was previously using a wardrobe to make trips to the moon but this is infinately better as he can see out! It is sturdy and my daughter says it was easy to put together and well designed. Grandparents should take note of a previous reviewer and have it delivered to the child's house as you won't get it in the car.

I bought it together with the astronaught outfit and my grandson is delighted. It is a splendid toy.

Astronaut costume Small
Astronaut costume Small
Offered by Theme Fancy Dress
Price: 9.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Space mad little boy, 5 Jun 2010
I bought this for my grandson's 3rd birthday together with a cardboard spaceship and space sticker book. He is mad on space travel and had been wearing ladybird patterned wellington boots to travel in so I thought he had better have some more appropriate clothing.

He absolutely loves the suit and it is well big enough even though he is tall for his age being elasticated at the ankles and wrists. Caution should be exercised on a hot day out in the sun as it can make the child sweat, but I don't see that as much of a problem.

It is also quite robust.

The Giving Tree
The Giving Tree
by Shel Silverstein

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong message, 12 May 2010
This review is from: The Giving Tree (Hardcover)
This book actually shocked and disturbed me. It is not a story about love and giving at all but about greed, selfishness and indifference. I don't really see this as a book to give young children who would struggle with the ambiguity of the message and the presentation. The tree gives and gives until it is destroyed but even then the boy is not happy, just old and disillusioned.

The tree itself is an analogy of destructive servility and passivity even to the point of masochism. We want to tell the tree to say 'no' and to resist the boys manipulation and wheedling. The most disurbing picture is the one when the boy chops all the branches from the tree. At this point in the book we already identify with the tree and have humanised it to some extent and there it stands naked and without limbs. I am sure the author intended to provide us with a stark message about some aspects of society. It doubly hits home because of the minimalistic, simplistic drawings which give it a child's story book quality, but it is definately NOT a book for young children.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2014 1:48 PM BST

OXFORD JUNIOR THESAURUS
OXFORD JUNIOR THESAURUS
by Hachette Children's Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 April 2010
I bought this book for my grandaughter who is half Greek and lives in Greece but speaks and reads English well. She is 6. I also bought the companion dictionary and in manay ways the thesausus is as useful if not more useful than the dictionary in expanding her word knowledge. It is a book she can browse through and teach herself new words. Both books are exceptional value for money and made a good bithday present.

Oxford Junior Illustrated Dictionary (2007 edition)
Oxford Junior Illustrated Dictionary (2007 edition)
by Sheila Dignen

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 28 April 2010
I bought this book together with the companian thesaurus for my 6 year old grandaughter who although she reads English well, is half Greek and lives in Greece. It is really useful because the explanations of the words are so simply and clearly written that she was able to understand the meanings without any problems. My only criticism if I had to make one is that some words I would have expected to be in the dictionary weren't but then they have to draw the line somewhere.

Overall an excellent book and very user friendly. Good lay out, type face and illustrations.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3