Profile for Julian > Reviews

Complete Matrix Trilogy [Blu-ray] [1999] [Region Free]
Complete Matrix Trilogy [Blu-ray] [1999] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves

5.0 out of 5 stars Huh , upgrades ?, 11 Dec. 2011
After reading some of the good and bad reviews on this Blu-Ray trilogy (only the ones about the product and not the films themselves) I have to totally agree with the good reviews.
Picture quality is superb on all three films as is the sound , and cant understand how others have complained about the lack of quality which only leads me to believe that they must have a dodgy setup with their Blu-Ray players or TV's.

You could almost poke your finger through Lawrence Fishburnes colander skin and count every rain drop or shards of glass with ease the picture is so good.
5.1 True HD sounds fantastic when transferred into 7.1 on my AV receiver with crisp clarity , extra features have a picture in picture break down of a scene as well as all the features you got on DVD and all this for £14.

Is it worth the upgrade....YES !

Is it worth the price....HELL YES !

Scent of a Woman [Blu-ray] [1992] [Region Free]
Scent of a Woman [Blu-ray] [1992] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by Champion Toys

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film...Poor Blu-Ray, 9 Oct. 2011
Let me start by saying that this movie is in my favourite top 20 so my star rating is purely on the Blu-Ray product as are all my reviews.
Picture quality is a SLIGHT improvement from the DVD , but only just !
The sound is fair , although being a none action film my speakers and AV receiver wasn't really put to any real test , but the music score sounded pretty good.

The main reason this gets such a poor star rating is the lack of features of which there is a big fat ZERO!!!!
No audio choices , no behind the scenes , no commentaries , no interviews... not even a trailer , absolutely NOTHING !
Even the home menu page looks rushed and poorly designed and the whole thing just looks like it was done at 5 to 5 on a Friday by someone who had other things on their mind.

For me , given the enormous amount of space you can fit on a Blu-ray (50GB) it just seems like a waste , and no one seems to have bothered to even try as I'm sure there must be interviews/behind the scenes footage somewhere.
The DVD was the same with the lack features , so this really is the most basic of transfers which is a real shame and is a real pet hate of mine when a company who does the transfer just doesn't give you anything more , or put any real effort into making upgraded technology much better than the old !

Managed to get this for under £6 so it's the price that sold me on it and would add nicely to my Blu-Ray collection.
Minimum effort for minimum price...Hoo-Hah !

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Ltd. Edition Film Cell [Blu-ray] [1977]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars My faith is truly disturbed!!!!!!, 12 Sept. 2011
I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan and it pains me to give this box set such a poor rating and have tried my hardest to be unbiased with this review/rant , otherwise this would have gotten a bazillion star rating simply for being Star Wars.
Bizarrely , this box set really has ticked all the right boxes in what you'd expect on a new release by revamping picture , sound , extras , presentation , but how the hell Lucas managed to get it SO WRONG with almost everything and alienate so many fans in one go , is truly beyond me ?
The worst thing I have to contend with is having to pay for those ABOMINATIONS that are called "Prequels" as this box set is really the only choice you have if you want any of the extras as you get NOTHING with the individual sets.
Just when you think Lucas wouldn't dare tinker about with these films again after the backlash from fans last time... and the time before that etc etc , its like he's trying to rub your nose in it just one more time !
When I watch other films that have had a similar treatment like Blade Runner the Final Cut or the updated versions of Star Trek: The Original Series , I find that you CAN alter iconic films/TV shows and actually improve upon them without annoying anyone... A lesson for Mr Lucas on how it should be done , me thinks !
After viewing the untouched DVD versions a few days before these Blu-rays arrived (which was the first time in years) they really did need some tweaking... trust me , I'm under NO ILLUSIONS that these weren't in desperate need of attention , but I'm mainly talking about the sound and restoration that needs to be tweaked... Maaaaaaaybe a couple of FX shots such as removing matt outline boxes around ships and a lot of (if not all) the dated stop-animation , which all could have done with a bit of a spruce so long as it was done "shot for shot" (the tow cable in Empire is a good example of this) , but this obsession to completely destroy his films bit by bit every time he releases a new format by "Shoehorning in" unnecessary FX is really starting to grate on me with Lucas pushing this unnecessarily too far !!!

So , why so miserable if I have the originals already ?
Unfortunately , when Mr Lucas released the untouched originals on DVD back in 2004 , it was almost laughable at what he gave us !
A rough , scratchy , dirt ridden mess , and just to make the quality even poorer , it was presented in letterbox format (not anamorphic) which felt more like a slap and spit in the face from Lucas saying "UGH! FINE! HERE YOU GO!" and giving us the worst possible quality imaginable.
I was really hoping that he just misunderstood what the fans were asking for. All we wanted was the original theatrical versions , but restored to a pristine quality , which is not really asking for the world as thats what everyone else does as standard to their films when releasing them on an upgraded format... Its as if he's actually gone out of his way to make them a bad as possible and I certainly don't remember even the 4 versions released on VHS being as bad for quality as those DVD's , but this has now left me thinking Lucas was just being deliberately obtuse to make sure no one would ever watch them !
I don't believe for a parsec that it'll cost too much money to bring the originals up to date , as I'm sure even if it would cost Lucas $500,000,000 to do, it would still barely make a dent in his own personal fortune (most of which is my money spent).
I truly believe that he doesn't like to be proven wrong and YOU WILL like my new versions.

Yes , there will be the pigheaded devotees of these films who just can't understand what all the fuss is about and will blindly refuse to have anything bad to say about it. They will quite happily shout at you though for "Not getting over it" when it comes to the changes , although I'm sure if their favourite film "Mamma Mia" had its soundtrack changed to the haunting sound of pan pipes , they would soon throw the mother of all hissy fits !
It has nothing to do with being anally retentive or geeky complaining about these small differences , just ask your average Cardiff City football fan about something as simple as a small change in colour... and watch their blood boil to the point of it actually making the news headlines... and they call sci-fi fans nerds ?
It makes me wonder just how many complaints would have been made about these films if Lucas had never altered them... ABSOLUTELY NONE is the answer !
Have you ever heard of a single fan of these films that have said "Please more changes!!! More changes please!!!"... of course not , so why do it ?
So , is it really too much to ask for the originals to be like these Blu-rays but without the added crap ? As most of the restoration has already been done , so cant understand the reluctancy to do so ? And if he ever does release them , Mr Lucas can do as he likes on the other versions and people would have nothing to complain about.

PICTURE QUALITY:
The picture is absolutely stunning and I'm quite happy to say this is the best picture transfer I've seen for any format or Blu-ray to date and you couldn't ask for a better job done... Think that's enough coverage of that !

THE SOUND:
This is without doubt my biggest gripe... not the clarity (which is perfect) but the format , which is limited unfortunately to only having 6.1 DTS.
Out of the 500 or so Blu-rays/DVD's that I own , this is the ONLY ONE I have in 6.1... And it shows !
Don't think for a second you can go into your local Currys or go online and buy an all-in-one 6.1 home cinema system , because you can't !
If you have an inkling of common sense with your sound system and have bought an AV receiver , which is the only way to achieve 6.1 , you still WOULDN'T choose to have a 6.1 setup due to the fact that 99.99999999999% of films on Blu-ray/DVD use anything BUT the 6.1 format , which is also NOT very room friendly when placing your speakers.
Not saying this is unique , but you could literally count on one hand the amount of films released in 6.1 over the years (4 at my last count and thats including this box set) , so there just isn't enough 6.1 content out there for anyone to warrant having a 6.1 setup , so can't understand why Lucas would choose this ludicrous format ?
The 6.1 format has been fumbling around for almost 20 years now , which is way too long for it to have any sort of impact now and never took a hold over 5.1 , where as 7.1 appears to be the growing sound format on Blu-ray.
A good 90% of my films on Blu-ray are in true 7.1 sound and even some of the golden oldies such as Jaws , Jurassic Park , Star Trek TV and films , to name but a few , have been given a 7.1 remastering on Blu-ray , so I find its a little pointless trying to rekindle the very dead format of 6.1 that only an idiot would have , when 7.1 has surpassed it for a good few years now.
Those of us (like myself) who actually have a 7.1 setup , 5.1 can easily be transferred on your AV receiver into 7.1 with surprisingly good results , so every film you buy sounds excellent... but then the rarely used 6.1 format comes out of the blue for no apparent reason and just completely ruins your whole setup , then completely disappears again !!!!
6.1 , having an odd number of sound channels to my (or everyones) even numbered set of speakers (and ears) just makes it sound "disjointed" (for lack of a better word) when going from the home menu screen to the film , and I'm sure on paper its technically flawless , so unless you ACTUALLY HAVE a 6.1 setup (and unless you're a complete moron , I bet you don't!) its a complete waste of time to have it on these Blu-rays with any other setup.
Although , ironically , it sounds fantastic on a 5.1 setup... which really does defeat the whole point !!!
Again , please don't misunderstand me , the clarity is exceptionally good as you would expect from Blu-ray , and the home menu screen is in 5.1 and sounds absolutely fantastic , but as soon as you start the film thats when the problems start.

I know it seems that I'm whining over nothing , but compared to all my other films this really does just stick out like yet another unnecessary sore thumb and the sound is the one thing I look forward too (especially these films) when upgrading to Blu-ray.
Its annoying that Mr Lucas (who created Skywalker Sound and THX) hasn't included any other audio options for the vast majority of us who don't actually use a 6.1 setup , and 5.1 and more increasingly now 7.1 seem to be the more "sane" choices with film makers and for people with home cinemas.
The VHS , Laserdisc and DVD's have all sounded excellent in retrospect , so these Blu-rays should have been the pinnacle of a sound experience and I could easily forgive all other misgivings that Lucas has done to this box set if he'd just used a decent sound format...Not this time , and unnecessarily tinkering about with the sound is the ABSOLUTE LAST STRAW , which has now opened the floodgates for me to whinge , whine and grumble about everything else that I've been in denial about!!!!
It comes across as though Mr Lucas is just fiddling for fiddling sake and trying too hard to be different from everyone else (which is not always a good idea) , and forcing me to endure yet another unnecessary tweak that hasn't paid off , and there is absolutely no logical reason as to why he's done this other than "because he can".
Now that Lucasfilm has been sold , I'm fairly certain and would bet my mortgage on this , when Episode 7 gets its Blu-ray release , it will have 7.1 sound and the completely useless 6.1 will be no where in sight simply because Lucas can't get his itchy fingers on it.

THE EXTRAS:
This has to be the most irritating , painfully slow , awkward , stupid setup for a menu system I've ever come across !
Honestly , this would test the most patient of saints trying to get through it all... A simple "Play all" wouldn't have gone amiss !
When you do finally get to watch something , it really just isn't worth all the effort. With the exception of some never before seen deleted scenes/interviews from the original trilogy , the extras are pretty woeful... So much for my argument earlier about not buying the individual sets !
These contain the original "making of's" at the time of release and although nostalgic , my first thought was "GREAT" , but after viewing , it really just boils down to showing clips of the films rather than give you any sort of real film making or behind the scenes information , so a little deflating... I'm kind of glad they're on here for old times sake , but just don't think I'll ever watch them again.
The ever watchable "Empire of Dreams" documentary that you got on DVD is not on here and was one of the best behind the scenes documentaries on Star Wars that I've seen , so annoyingly , will have to keep the DVD's just for that.
Other documentaries include a further 4 hours of disappointing rubbish such as the Star Warriors , which lasts a mind numbing 83 minutes and should have only lasted 10 minutes at the very most !
Along with the ridiculous and quite patronising Star Wars Tech documentary (43 mins) that basically tells me that light sabres and the Millennium Falcon couldn't actually exist...REALLY ? Think most people know what the words "science FICTION" actually means , and the Star Wars spoofs (96 mins and didn't laugh once) will all be extras you'll watch , but never to be viewed again. Should have just put an episode of Star Wars Robot Chicken on here instead which was actually quite funny , or alternatively , type in "Snatch Wars" on Youtube if you want an actual funny spoof of these films !
Its not all bad , the Anatomy of a Dewback and Conversation with the Masters documentaries are pretty good , but these are whittled down to a minuscule 25 minutes each , so in all , you get 50 minutes out of around 8 hours thats worth watching !

THE TINKERING:
THE GOOD... Replacing the puppet of Yoda (which more resembled Slimer from Ghostbusters) in The Phantom Menace with a much better CGI version , but still doesn't rescue what is essentially a top 10 contender for the worst film in history with only Attack of the Clones coming close to beating it !
I don't usually like the use of CGI if something can be filmed in-camera , but cant understand how they got the puppet to look so bad in the first place???
The Yoda puppet in Empire still holds up well today.
Matt outline boxes are 99% gone , but can still see them on the speeder bikes and some TIE fighters in Jedi... No, no, these really are the good points !

THE BAD... Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen aside , the now famous but quite toe curling "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" being added to Vader as he picks up the Emperor in Jedi... Oh dear sweet god almighty , I DEMAND A DOPE TEST !
It completely staggers me when people say..."If it had been there originally you wouldn't think it was that bad".
Well , just to state the bleeding obvious , it WASN'T there originally so it DOES STICK OUT , and ruin a perfectly fine scene that didn't need tampering with at all!!!!
It reminds me of the time he bizarrely dubbed the Emperor's death scream to Luke as he fell at Cloud City on the 1997 Special Editions... Soon got rid of that didn't he , and obviously thought that some of his tinkering was a bad mistake and just wish he could make his bloody mind up!!!

THE COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY... Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen aside , tweaking for tweaking sake scenes such as blinking Ewoks , Obi Wan's scream and the forever changing "who shot first ?" Han and Greedo scene (oh c'mon , THATS CHANGED 4 TIMES NOW!) are just some of the many new changes , and Boba Fett`s voice change STILL sticks in my throat from the 2004 DVD editions.
I obviously know why he changed it , but was kind of hoping that Jason Wingreen's voice would be put back on this new version as the film just seems to grind to a HIDEOUS halt now when he opens his mouth.
Was there really a need to change it ?
It's not like he felt the need to change James Earl Jones's voice to a Hayden Christensen voiceover , is it ?... JEEEZE!!!! Just had an almighty shudder down my spine writing that !!!!
Just glad Mr Lucas forgot that Boba Fett and all the other Stormtroopers are supposed to be the same person , and didn't change their voices as well , although , something tells me he's thought about it as the "Close the blast doors" line has been altered for absolutely NO reason whatsoever !!!!!
Tampering with the colour of the twin suns in A New Hope , has made what WAS a convincing and iconic special effect in the untouched versions , just look more like an obvious "In your face" fake now... WHY ???
If ever there was a perfect use of the phrase "Because I can"... THERE IT IS !

Apart from the already mentioned scenes , most of the changes I can live with (JUST) and the only other real objections that I have to the changes over the years is the woefully bad musical number in Jabba's palace and the "Little Shop of Horrors" tweak to the Sarlac pit creature... DONT get me started with Sebastian Shaw's removal at the end , that's just too much pain to deal with!
I'm not going to put down the reinstated "Docking bay 94" Han and Jabba scene that a lot of people have complained about , as that had originally been filmed and would no doubt have looked 10 times worse than the CGI effort we got if Lucas had been given the time and money to originally finish it off , but if he doesn't stop interfering there's going to be nothing left of the original films and I really don't want to rely on watching the poor quality of the untouched DVD versions.
The irony is that in one of Lucas's interviews , he complains about the studio altering and tinkering about with one of his earlier films (American Graffiti) and how much it annoyed him and how he'd never let that happen again... OH , BLESS HIM !

SUMMARY:
So , to summarise... Great picture.
Quite possibly the most pointless and useless sound format I've ever heard.
A TV punchingly irritating menu setup.
Tedious documentaries.
Tweaking where he should just FOR THE LOVE OF GOD leave well alone !
Given the hindsight I have on this box set , I don't think I would have bought it as there are too many negatives that I'm struggling with to justify in keeping it.
I'm not totally against the artwork on the box , but SURLY a call to Drew Struzan and commission a proper cover couldn't have been out of the question ?
As big of a Star Wars nut that I am , who has bought every single format and version thats ever been released I might add , for the very first time EVER , I really don't think I could recommend it I'm sorry to say... Just one tweak too many.

EXTRA RANT:
So , like his Lucasfilm logo , he believes everything he touches turns to gold , when in reality... its more of a runny brown colour , and yes , even though he proved the doubters wrong with his vision back in the 70's , to completely surround himself today with "Yes men" who dare not share their opinion or say "Hold on , you're just being a bloody idiot now!" only reiterates the fact that he believes his own press and that somehow with whatever decision he makes , its going to be some "True stroke of genius" or "Revolutionise" the film industry yet again , which will prove us all wrong in years to come... Not bloody likely !
This man has gone from being a cutting edge visionary director to an almost petulant child from having success , who now believes he can do no wrong , and for whatever reason it is , the delusional mind of Mr Lucas just wont listen to the fans who put him where he is today by just releasing the original films with the bare minimum of tweaking (sound/clean up) on Blu-ray , but insists upon destroying these beloved films with every release.
No other film in history has had this level of fiddling , faffing , poking and tweaking or restrictions to view its original theatrical release with decent quality as this , and no matter how much the fans scream NOOOOOOOO it just wont sink in with Mr Lucas.

Disney... It truly saddens me to say and never thought I'd agree , but... I feel were in better hands with you than MR ITCHY FINGERS !
As for you , J J Abrams , yes you did a top notch job of rebooting the Star Trek franchise for which I'm eternally grateful , but if you screw up Episode 7 then you'll forever be known as Jar Jar Abrams , so DON'T let me down!!!!

So , in my never ending search for the ultimate copies , this will have been the 8th time I've bought these on 4 different formats , but knowing how much I love these films I'm pretty sure this wont be the last time I replace these , as I will probably still blindly buy them even if released in mono cardboard cut-out format... although I do draw the line at the format THAT JUST WON'T DIE that is 3D !!!
I know that I'm a mug when it comes to these movies , but it is too late for me... just don't be one yourself.
Congratulations for getting to the end!
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2016 2:33 PM BST

X-Men Quadrilogy - X-Men, X-Men 2, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a BARGAIN !, 28 Aug. 2011
Cant understand how anyone could grumble about this Box Set as it's a bargain for all four movies. Thought the Alien Anthology Box Set was well priced but this is to cheap to miss out on !

These are not my favourite movies by a long shot and don't think I would have bothered or it even to have crossed my mind to have upgraded these from DVD to Blu-ray if it wasn't for the price , but certainly wouldn't buy them if I really didn't think the films were ok.
Unlike some reviewers who seemed to have had a gun pointed at their heads and forced them to purchase a film they really hate and despise , then moan endlessly about it !
Unless they didn't buy them and make out that they did just so they can complain to a larger audience.

Picture and sound are excellent. Loads of features with two discs per film , except for Wolverine Origins , which is probably my only gripe about this Box Set as it really does seem to have been a last minute after thought to include it.
What with its thin reedy cover compared to the other three standard cases and only has the one disc , but hey , for £14 I feel as though I've bought the bargain of the century and not going to moan to have replaced them , which back in the day would have cost nearly that per film on DVD...And probably more on VHS !
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2012 11:26 AM GMT

Casino Royale (Deluxe Edition) [Blu-ray] [2006] [2008] [Region Free]
Casino Royale (Deluxe Edition) [Blu-ray] [2006] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen
Offered by pb ReCommerce UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely shaken and very stirred !, 4 July 2011
Picture/sound transfer is excellent , and if you select the Dolby true HD in the audio setup , WHAT an amazing sound you get... Real high end quality where you can hear every little detail that would normally be missed on other formats.
Lots of features on the second disc , and a nice little booklet on all the characters...Although to be honest , I probably wont look at the booklet ever again , but a nice touch nonetheless.

They really seem to have gone all out with the picture and sound transfer to demonstrate the quality of Blu-ray with this film... Shame they haven't continued this level of quality with all films released on Blu-ray , as you do come across some duff transfers from time to time !
This was one of the first films to be released on Blu-ray , and was usually a freebie when buying a Blu-ray player or PS3 to help promote the new format , but I missed out as I wasn't going to take the plunge of upgrading until the format wars between HD and Blu-ray was over... Good job I did , as I was going to go with the cheaper and more readily available films on the HD format.
Although Blu-ray is technically better in quality , the difference between HD and Blu-ray was negligible , and I really didn't care who came out on top , but adding Blu-ray to a PS3 was probably what helped tip the balance.

To get this Deluxe version for £5.95 is a real bargain having been stuck at £17.99 for years , and if you don't have a decent audio system yet , then your missing out on half of a great experience and recommend you save up and go the whole hog and get one.

The Superman Motion Picture Anthology 1978-2006 [Blu-ray] [1978]  [Region Free]
The Superman Motion Picture Anthology 1978-2006 [Blu-ray] [1978] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christopher Reeve

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy this and not individually...You'll thank me !, 30 Jun. 2011
This box set is really the only option to take if you want all the features and different cuts of the first two films that you got on DVD and NOT to buy them individually (as I did) on Blu-Ray , as you only get half of what your supposed too.
Really didn't want to own Superman 3 & 4 , but I suppose its the only way they could shift copies of those films by making this box set in such away that I cant even throw them away without spoiling the look of the set.

Picture quality is again "marginal" compared to the DVD's but the sound transfer is still one of the best I've heard to date if you have a decent audio system. Check out the scene where a young Clark kicks a football in Superman 1 , sounds like he's just kicked an atomic bomb ! And John Williams score never sounded so good.

Features are plentiful and an interesting deleted scene from Superman Returns , where you see him searching a dead Krypton , and a reason to why an advanced race still cant land a space craft on Earth properly without crashing.

Still feel a little cheated in having to buy this box set instead of individually just so I can have the features and choices I want , but noticed now the price has leapt a very tall building to nearly £60...Bought this only a few days ago for £36 so if your thinking of buying...WAIT !
As I'm sure with Amazons erratic pricing structure will have this down even further.
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2011 3:31 PM BST

Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars Transfer is "Shiny", 25 Jun. 2011
A vast improvement on picture and sound quality from the DVD version , you get all the extras you got with the DVD plus a few more purely for the Blu-Ray...FANTASTIC !

This is how a Blu-Ray should be done by giving you MORE not LESS like you get with some "RIP OFF" Blu-Rays I could mention...And have on other reviews !

Whether you like the film or not is neither here nor there , but its the transfer people should be reviewing and not if your a fan of the film , as I really don't know anyone who buys a Blu-ray / DVD who hasn't already seen the movie there thinking of buying and really doesn't need to be told about the film itself , but should really be reviewing on whether its worth upgrading...AND IT IS !

Harry Potter - Films 1-7 Box Set [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Harry Potter - Films 1-7 Box Set [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by encorerecords

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds a bit iffy ????, 25 Jun. 2011
Now I'm not going to bore the PANTS off you like other reviewers by moaning that Warner Brothers have obviously released yet another incomplete box set , or tell you about the films that you've know doubt already seen , but rather tell you about the transfer to Blu-Ray and if its any good or not.

Picture quality is not the worst transfer I've seen for Blu-Ray , but certainly not the best either...Borderlines on satisfactory.
The sound unfortunately seems to be suffering quite a bit on the first two films (films 3 to 7 are fine) making me think my AV receiver was on the blink , but checked other Blu-Rays on it and its fine...PHEW !

Have to turn the volume up on my amp a good extra 10 notches (which would have blown the windows out of the house if it were any other Blu-Rays) just to get a decent level , but still wasn't getting the quality I should be , so checked the old DVD's of the same films and of the same scenes and to my horror , they do sound a little better on the so called OLD FORMAT.

Getting a little fed up now that transfers to Blu-Ray are not up to the quality that should be (albeit the first two films) and be sorted out by now , as Blu-Ray has been around a good few years and you'd think they would get it right first time !
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2011 12:12 PM GMT

Tron/Tron Legacy [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Tron/Tron Legacy [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Michael Sheen
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem, 23 Jun. 2011
Now Tron Legacy was always going to look good on Blu-Ray , but the real gem here is The Original Tron movie that you get with it for an extra couple of quid.
Certainly not the greatest film you'll ever see by a long shot , but the transfer to Blu-Ray is absolutely flawless and really does look as crisp and sharp as if only filmed yesterday.

Have had a few duff Blu-Rays recently where Zero effort has been made to make a film look and sound its best or have its features skimped on , but Tron really has been lovingly transferred and the fact you get it for what is basically loose change just shows up other companies who do their transfers to SHAME !

Superman: The Movie [Blu-ray] [1978] [Region Free]
Superman: The Movie [Blu-ray] [1978] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christopher Reeve

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm , a little disapointing to say the least, 18 Jun. 2011
I'm a big fan of Blu-ray and won't have anything bad said about it , but sometimes... JUST sometimes , on that rare occasion , it can leave me infuriated and siding with the haters of Blu-ray when things like this happen !... When a company just RIPS YOU OFF and just hasn't bothered !

Now I have the DVD's of the movies and thought I would upgrade such a timeless classic as this , but was stunned when I bought this Blu-Ray that half the features that you get on the DVD were missing , AND you only get the directors cut instead of the choice of both versions as you do with the DVD.

Picture quality is negligible at best compared to the DVD , but have noticed now that they have released a new Blu-Ray box set containing all 5 movies with all the features including both cuts of the film that you got on DVD , and each film works out to a cost of around £4.50 each , but you have to get all 5 films which I really didn't want to have to do !

Feeling a little cheated is an understatement and its the second time something like this has happened , and my faith in Blu-ray is starting to wobble , as I just wished they had bothered to make an effort on this already released version.

Now the whole point of Blu-Ray is that the technology is there to put DVD to shame , and add more extras and choice on a disc and improve picture quality...This movie fails on all counts !
Its only saving grace is the sound transfer , which I have to be honest its one of the best I've heard so far if you have a decent audio setup , but still doesn't detract from the fact that I'm only getting HALF of what I should be !

If you can stack on a DVD a ton of extras and choice without losing quality of picture...
THEN SURELY BLU-RAY SHOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM !

Even if you are one of these people who don't watch or care about the features , you must feel a little cheated that your getting LESS for MORE money , and that the technology is not being utilised to improve on old tech , otherwise what was the point of inventing Blu-ray if you're just not going to get any real improvement and actually get less than the OLD FORMAT ?

STOP playing into the hands of the haters of this excellent format , and STOP ripping people off !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4