Profile for randomreviewer > Reviews

Content by randomreviewer

randomreviewer

Maxi-Cosi CabrioFix Group 0+ Infant Carrier Car Seat (Crystal Black)
Maxi-Cosi CabrioFix Group 0+ Infant Carrier Car Seat (Crystal Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous design. Don't buy., 11 Nov 2013
I can't say strongly enough that you shouldn't buy this car seat. Especially if you have had a c-section, or are shortish. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get out without a battle when the baby is in it. I have had problems with it from the start, I have practised with and without the baby in the seat. I am not an idiot, but it defies all logic when trying to get this seat out and onto the wheels of the pram easily. One needs to be a. tall and b. strong or c. have three hands to remove it easily, and even then it is a battle. I struggle daily, having to rock it back and forth horizontally in order for it to release the safety mechanism underneath the seat. After 4 months of use (and much swearing and losing my cool over getting the baby out of the car in the seat), I now have to take the baby out, put him in the front seat while I remove the maxi cosi, put it on it's wheels, and then put the baby back in. Which is hopeless if he is asleep as it wakes him up, takes extra time, and is dangerous, especially when parked in public roads etc. I hope no one ever buys another maxi cosi again, I hate it so much. 0 stars from me for this problem. I wish the designer would come to my house and explain himself. The cover over the bottom belt comes off every time (I threw it out because it drove me nuts after 2 or 3 weeks), and you need to have a. extremely strong and large hands or b. three hands to release the dual mechanism on either side of the chair to bring the handle up. I use one hand on either side of the seat to press in the buttons, then I have to duck my chin under the handle and use my cheekbone to raise the handle to the upright position. The actual buttons for this dual mechanism are stiff, and badly made. The seat squashes my child up so that he vomits a bit when he is in it - this is at 6 kilograms - he is tucked up with his chin jammed against his chest. This is a terrible seat. Do yourself and favour and get another design.

Wallaboo Baby Sling Cotton (Ivory Cream)
Wallaboo Baby Sling Cotton (Ivory Cream)
Offered by ZERO TO FIVE
Price: 42.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Squashed., 8 Nov 2013
I bought this sling for my 2 month old, so that I could do stuff around the house without having to put him down. From the very beginning, he hated being squashed in (9 pounds plus, and I was worried about his breathing being blocked because it pushed his chin down towards his neck. I tried the upright position, but he can't hold his head up, so I had to use one hand to support his head, which meant I still couldn't get stuff done around the house with two hands. The velcro straps are loud, waking him up if he was asleep and I did want to put him down. The instructions are seriously terrible, after looking at the youtube clips (that don't use real babies) I figured out what they meant,but it didn't make it any more comfortable for either my little boy or me. I give this the total thumbs down. I would go so far as to say I think it is dangerous, because the baby is so deep in the pocket when he is asleep that I had to keep checking him every minute or so to make sure he was still breathing - after about 20 minutes (thinking I might be paranoid) I couldn't relax so haven't used it since, except to try the upright position. Don't buy this product. It is a waste of money and I believe it might endanger your child.

Wallaboo Baby Cotton Sling (Moonless Night)
Wallaboo Baby Cotton Sling (Moonless Night)
Price: 35.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 6 Nov 2013
Okay, so I'm not uneducated, and I'm not an idiot. Actually, I'm a pretty practical sort of woman. So why is it that I can't use this? The velcro straps are really difficult to get in the right position, as they work in multiples. My little boy at 8 pounds got squashed up in the sling, and no arrangement of it could help him unsquash. He is now 11 pounds and I have no hope of getting him in it comfortably. It is difficult to get him into in the first place, and, once he's in, if he has his head out, it isn't supported, so I end up using an arm to support him anyway, so don't imagine that you can use two hands free, if that's what you want in a sling. I'd imagine that any babies bigger than 11 pounds would be not only difficult to put in there comfortably, but they would be so squashed they wouldn't last long. I'd go so far as to say it is cruel to try to put a baby in it. If there was a 0 star for this, that's what I'd give it. Also the instructions are really unclear, they don't make sense and they don't actually tell you how to solve any of the problems above. That's probably because there aren't any solutions. Don't buy. Buy anything else, but don't buy this.

War in Val D'Orcia: An Italian War Diary, 1943-1944
War in Val D'Orcia: An Italian War Diary, 1943-1944
by Iris Origo
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars extraordinary book., 13 July 2011
I will carry this book in my heart for a long time to come.

I read it in one long, riveting sitting. Origo is not sentimental - but her writing produced in me much profound sentiment.

There is remarkably little emotional commentary for such a time of war.

In it's place is an unfolding of the history of the Allied Front through the various sources available at the time, and how it relates to the story of a gentle family, who deal with testing circumstances in the most humble, generous, and unprovocative of ways.

It is truly a story of heroism at it's finest, not just from the Origo family, but from the contadini and partisans, the soldiers, the carabinieri, the prete - from many individuals faced with the desperate plight of other individuals.

It is an eye witness account, without romance or glorification, of a story of hope and bravery, kindness, and all things that make humanity good.

Having lived in Italy for many years, I find this book has explained more about the Italian psychology today than any other I have read.

It is a testament to mankind, and explains what we, as individuals, might be capable of in an intensely distressing situation - both good and bad.

Any person who has ever been to Montepulciano, the Val D'Orcia, or to Tuscany, even, or anyone who loves Italy in the way so many of us do, should read this book and remember.

I will carry this book with me in my heart for a long time to come.