Profile for e_ghost > Reviews

"e_ghost"

When Fire Rains Down from the Sky
When Fire Rains Down from the Sky
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars if the apocalypse sounds like this, bring it on, 26 Mar. 2003
For your average music listener, this will be rather too heavy, if you like your words audible, your drums humanly playable and your guitar acoustic, stay away.
Coming in at only 6 tracks, this EP is a nice way of finding out what to expect from other Anaal releases, without breaking the bank.
The drums on this CD are all done by a drum machine, and as a result are quite unlike anything else at times. Sometimes they do drop into the the standard extreme metal drum part though, but find me a band that aren't guilty of that.
The guitar work is excellent, and although relentless in terms of heaviness, it does vary from breakneck speed, to heavy son of a one legged metal riffs when it needs to.
The vocals are at times a little comical, they sound like a man in pain, which at times is kinda cool and fitting, but at tohers is a bit too much.
I'd recommend this CD if only to get track 5 Atavism, which features the wonderful Attila Csihar (it's really bugging me what band he's in, drop me a line if you know) who doesn't scream, he bellows in a wonderfully different way to your average grunt.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2008 5:05 PM BST

Redefine The Enemy [Limited Edition Tin]
Redefine The Enemy [Limited Edition Tin]

3.0 out of 5 stars definitely one for the completists, 21 Mar. 2003
I must come clean on this one, I bought this album cos I loved the packaging (a bad habit of mine :-|), it comes in a funky metal tin, and has a pretty cool poster booklet.
The music is pretty good, I'm already a fan of Atari Teenage Riot and Alec Empire so I know what to compare it to.
Although all of the material on here is pretty good, it does suffer a common b-sides and rarities compilation problem, it's not very cohesive. A lot of the songs don't work so well with the others because they were never meant to.
If you own a lot of other ATR and Alec stuff, I recommend this but if you're not a big fan, don't get this.

Relationship of Command
Relationship of Command
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars it's ross robinson jim, but not as we know him, 21 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Relationship of Command (Audio CD)
Many people simply do not 'get' at the drive-in, which is a shame, I think the'yre missing out on one the best bands, ever, period.
Packaging on this one is excellent, nice artwork, and lyrics in the book, what more could you ask for?
The music, god how the music defies description, ATD-i are one of the 'craziest' bands you're likely to hear unless you a fan of seriously avant-garde music (SiKth, Tub Ring, check em out).
They have crazy song structures, crazy guitar parts that I can't quite grasp how they ever thought of, brilliant moving drums and vocals like no other, with incredible intelligent lyrics to boot.
This album is packed full of massive riffs, brilliant melodies and guitar parts, and the use of layering is simply masterful. For a band that use such complext 2 guitar dynamics, it's a good thing the bass is still audible, and in some cases, still there to keep an eye on things while the guitarists go off on one.
This is one of those albums however many times you listen to it, you can always find something new, a new drum part, guitar riff, or weird noise to keep you happy.
Use of some wacky samples and electronic noise oly add to the chaos, but somehow no clarity is lost at all.
I simply can't explain how amazing this band is, stop reading this right now and order it! You won't regret it.

In Casino Out
In Casino Out
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it all make sense now?, 21 Mar. 2003
This review is from: In Casino Out (Audio CD)
I'm presuming that if you have come to read this, you already know something about the crazy ride that ATD-i are so this review will make comparisons with ROfC in some places seeing as everyone always wants to know if this album is good.
Personally, I prefer this record to ROfC, I think it has better melodies and is much more moving and subtle, rather than the exciting adrenalin rush of ROfC.
A lot of people prefer ROfC, although I think a lot of this is due to its superior production, and that people fail to see through this relatively lo-fi recording and hear the songs themselves.
Although this album lacks electronic madness of ROfC, it contains more crazy guitar parts and little things that make you go "ooh" while at the same time having more of a traditional rock edge to it. The song structures are easier to follow and in some places thing are almost, dare I say, predictable.
napoleon solo and lopsided are tow of my favourite songs ever, the way napoleon solo builds up, and has a really sudden quiet loud dynamic, is sheer genius. The slower pace and beautiful guitar parts that switch for big, harsh walls of noise make this song genius distilled. Did I forget to say the lyrics are top as well?
Lopsided is also brilliant, that simple riff and heartfelt chorus with its masterful pause are what brings this to another level. "does it all make sense now?" has to be one of my favorite vocal melodies ever!
Buy this album and see what it's like to emo without being whiney, this is some of the most genuinely moving music I have ever heard.

Aqualung
Aqualung
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, simple as, 20 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Aqualung (Audio CD)
Usually more of an extreme metal man, this album was a fairly unusual purchase for, although I do own bits and bobs from all genres of music.
What realy turned me on to this CD was the single strange and beautiful, which I could really relate to with the siutation I was into. I was really pleased to find the whole album was of similar quality.
Brilliant instrumentation that is marvellously subtle in its changes and movements, and can build into a massive crescendo when needed. Also, unlike some whingey bands of this ilk, the music doesn't play second fiddle to the vocals, which is something that always bugs me.
The vocals however, are brilliant in themself, matt hales has an amazing voice that just pours emotion out.
I love the way the sounds on this CD sometimes have a slight edge of roughness, they really push the songs up to another level, they manage to get over the harshness of feeling without making the music harsh at all.
Although this CD is fairly depressing and melancholy, I don't find I have to be in a similar mood to listen to it.

Selected Ambient Works 1985
Selected Ambient Works 1985

5.0 out of 5 stars music to cook food by, 20 Mar. 2003
This is a seriously mellow collection of Rich's earlier works, and damn fine it is too.
The usual minimalist packaging gets the job done and let's the music be the centre of attention.
This CD contains some of Rich's finest songs, Xtal is an absolute chillout masterpiece, and the album as a whole has a warm fuzzy vibe, this is the kinda music you put on when your cooking or something like that, cos it has just enough impact to keep you interested, but won't have you leaping around the kitchen or whipping out the old air guitar.
More than any other Aphex release I've heard, this shows its age, although in '85, this stuff was seriously cutting edge, some of the sounds are definitely outdated now, just listen to the beepy thing on Ageispolis and you'll see what I mean.
Some of the ambient keyboards are just genius and there some great noises that are just that little bit harsher, like the intro of Green Calx. (watch out for the disco booooooo though, its a bit nasty)
I love this album, its a great one to just sit and veg out to, it always brings to mind white modern apartments and trendy kitchens for me. (like I said, music to cook food by)

Intelligence And Sacrifice
Intelligence And Sacrifice

4.0 out of 5 stars mm, electronic, 20 Mar. 2003
A point of note is that this album come's on 2 cd's, so you at least get value for money!
The packaging is also wonderful, the booklet is one of my favourites, the style of it really works with the music. It doesn't contain lyrics or anything, but that's no big deal.
The first CD is the one you are more likely to enjoy, even though I think it is the worse of the two. Excellent songs like The Ride and Killing Machine really pound out of the speakers, as you'd expect, killer guitar riffs and drums that even drum machines consider a challenge make this album something of an extreme aural journey. There is however, plenty of melody and the whole thing just reeks of catchiness, which is by no means a bad thing.
The 2nd CD however, is where this album really shines. An abstract collection of samples and soundscapes, this CD is designed to loop back into itself for ever, if you so wish. With tracks varying greatly in length from a few minutes to around half an hour, this is something of a mixed bag, that is never the less pretty cohesive as a whole. If you think this CD is lame, listen to it more!!!! You will get to understand it, and then you will love it more than the first CD.
For a long while myself, I found the 2nd CD a bit too much to take in one go, but persevere.