Profile for Fi esta > Reviews

Hailstones in May
Hailstones in May
Price: 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hailstones in May (Kindle Edition)
This is simply one of the most enjoyable examples of womens fiction that I have read. It says so much about the passage of time, maturing of views, the trials family life and finding your real true self, and it says it so well!

Greyhound
Greyhound
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the road, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Greyhound (Kindle Edition)
A well written and concieved story, of a pre-teenage boy, who was sent alone, on a long, Greyhound bus Journey across the USA, by his heartless and dysfunctional mother.
It is written from the viewpoint of the youngster concerned, Sebastien Ranes. The story deals with youngster's sense of betrayal and abandonment, and with the unexpected kindness he recieves from strangers that he meets along the way of his hazardous journey. I don't want to give the plot away, but some of the worst-case-scenarios that would immediately occur to any caring parent faced with the stupidity of sending a child on such a journey - are close to being realised.
This book should appeal to anyone, from teenagers to adult.

Darcy's Diary
Darcy's Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars A well imagined insight to Darcy's inner most thoughts..., 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Kindle Edition)
If you are a fan of 'Pride and Prejudice' and have ever pondered on what might have been going through Darcy's mind as the majority of his preconceptions were challenged and then changed - then this is the book for you.
It was well written and constructed, thoroughly enjoyable and engaging, I really resented it when real life intruded, and I had to put my kindle down and go to work! If the option was available I would give it 4 1/2 stars. In short not to be missed!

The Windvale Sprites
The Windvale Sprites
by Mackenzie Crook
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this..., 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Windvale Sprites (Hardcover)
I downloaded the sample of this to my kindle, in order to see if it would make a good Christmas present for my niece,I was enjoying so much that (despite being 30 years past it's upper age limit) I bought the book!

The book is engaging, and convincingly written, and it certainly won't patronise its young readers. It is nicely sprinkled with humour, a great book to read to children. (Parents or teachers won't be tempted to take a short-cut to the end!)

The illustrations (also by the author) are accomplished, and translate well on to kindle.

(My only gripe - why are some people so multi-talented?)

Richard Wilde
Richard Wilde

4.0 out of 5 stars A really engrossing read, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Richard Wilde (Kindle Edition)
I finished this book last week on holiday. If you are looking for an absorbing read, something that will transport you away from your own life, give this a try.
Richard is an elderly man dictating his life history, his mistakes, his joys and his crippling disapointments. His love and confused loyalties are played across distant lands, (India and Burma)and England and pre, post and during the second world war.
Will Richard succeed in his quest to complete a record of his life, and find final resolution and peace before his impending death... if you complete the end of this book without resorting to klennex you are made of stronger stuff than I..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2012 4:26 PM GMT

The Fishing Pool
The Fishing Pool

4.0 out of 5 stars What a little gem!, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Fishing Pool (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book of Mary Fitzgeralds that I have read, but judging by this, it will not be the last. She writes with engaging style and economy. I enjoy books set in Ireland, but this made a refreshing change, avoiding the trap of making Ireland the main character in the story.
It is nicely paced and has a neat twist at the end..

The Accidental Time Traveller
The Accidental Time Traveller
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Was the kindle edition proof read?, 4 Sep 2011
I read this book as a kindle edition. It is really hard to give this a fair review because of the amount of mistakes in this version. I am not joking - 12 mistakes on the first page of chapter 5 (on a kindle sized page, remember), unbelievable!
It made me so cross that I was close to contacting Amazon for a refund & abandoning the story..and that would have been a shame, because the story itself is good. This is a real shame for the author, and I hope she is aware and has taken it up with her publisher. The story rates a three-and-a half to four stars - the sloppy way that this has been prepared for kindle rates only two.
I've tried to be as fair as I can to the author as it is not her fault that her book has been spoilt for kindle readers and given three stars.

Mum's the Word
Mum's the Word
Price: 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The exception to my 4/5 star buying policy, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: Mum's the Word (Kindle Edition)
Since buying my kindle in June, I have instigated a strict policy of only buying books recommended by friends/family with similar tastes or books with at least 4 stars as reviewed by Amazon readers. This is the only time that this new criteria has failed me. This book is o.k only. It is unlikely to upset anyone, but I found it predictable and dreary. The central relationship/possible romance in the plot is so premately sign posted that you would need to be very preocupied not to spot the misunderstanding from the first time it's mentioned. The good news is that it only cost 99p on kindle, please may I have 98p back?

The Big 5-OH!
The Big 5-OH!
Price: 8.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Blessing in disguise, 27 July 2011
This review is from: The Big 5-OH! (Kindle Edition)
Fortunate for me that I enjoyed this book, as I ordered it by mistake on my kindle at 2.30 a.m. I tried to delete the order but due to lack of sleep, entered the wrong key again! (Probably not a good idea to enable the kindle store during the early hours during a sleepless night!)
It was an engaging book, although a few of the phrases were a littly flowery for my tastes, and made me wince slightly. I found my self interested enough in the characters, to stay on board and see how their story concluded.
A good book to read if you are at a cross-roads in your life, it's never too late....