Profile for BookLover > Reviews

Content by BookLover

BookLover (UK)

Philips HR7761/01 750 W Kitchen Food Processor with 2.1 L Bowl and Accessories for + 28 Functions

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if you intend using the small plastic cup, 3 April 2016
Really, really disappointed by the small plastic cup that acts as a breadcrumb-making attachment. This is the main reason I bought the item. It is incredibly poorly designed as you have to twist the blade into the bottom of the plastic cup. (It's the same one that is used in the jug part. Heaven forbid that Philips might build one into the base of each - it would cost them extra!) The trouble is, you have to twist the entire piece (plastic cup with the blade piece twisted into it) onto the base to power it, only the blade is twisted into the plastic cup in the same direction that you have to screw the entire plastic cup onto the base so that when you later come to unscrew it, the blade often also unscrews and comes out of the cup, meaning that the breadcrumbs spill everywhere!

This happens approximately 50% of the time I have used it for this purpose. I have had to buy a separate small machine to do this job properly.

If I buy an item, I expect it to do the job it says it will do. I don't expect to have to spend extra money to buy another machine to do that job.

This is a seriously poor piece of design. Did Philips actually run any functionality tests on it before they started to produce it on a large scale?

Both Sides of Midnight
Both Sides of Midnight

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stig couldn't have got here any faster himself..., 21 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Both Sides of Midnight (Audio CD)
I ordered this T shirt on the 1st of July as a birthday present that I had to give on the 3rd of the same month. I had to wait until I had been paid on the last day of the previous month in order to have the money to buy it, and I was already mentally preparing the excuses to give instead of the present as to why it hadn't arrived on the 3rd. I had hoped that it might just make it on the day itself, so imagine how surprised and delighted I was when the T shirt arrived the very next day, and I was able to wrap it nicely and give it to its recipient on the birthday in question. Whatsmore, the present was a real hit; it has been worn many times since and still looks as good as it did the first time.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this product and seller as they performed a miracle in getting it here to me in such a short space of time. The Stig himself couldn't have got it here any faster if he had delivered it himself in a Bugatti Veyron. Praise doesn't come much higher than that.

Creative SBS 380 2.1 Speaker System
Creative SBS 380 2.1 Speaker System

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 27 July 2007
I have just been obliged to return my set of speakers as the sound quality from one of the speakers is appaling and the power cable seems to fit quite badly. It's a pity, as they seem to be quite good apart from that. Perhaps it's just a problem with the set that I received, but I'm not getting them replaced, just in case. Better luck to others!

Mandarin (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
Mandarin (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
by Chris Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars LP Mandarin Phrase Book Review, 15 Dec. 2002
Very useful book. Gives lots of little cultural points as well as stock phrases to make life easier and a small yet concise and useful two-way dictionary. It does it's best to explain the nuances of aural Chinese within a small book, but your best bet is to point at the characters if what you say can't be understood, or to learn the phrase to ask people how to pronounce as soon as possible. It's much better than the other phrase books I have seen. As with any ventures to China, it requires an added sense of adventure and the understanding that what you say willl probably be unintelligable to the average Chinese person as your tones wil be all over the place, but very useful once you learn how to say a few basic things such as 'Ni hao!' (Hello!) and 'Cesuo zai nar?' (Where's the toilet?)

China (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
China (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by Robert Storey

4.0 out of 5 stars LP China Guide, 15 Dec. 2002
As someone who is doing a degree in Chinese and has just returned from China, having spent the past eleven months living there, I have to say this is the best travel guide available to help the backpacker find their way around. Between myself and my friends - who also lived in China for the same period of time - we had a cumulative collection of practically every single travel book written about China, and we came to refer to the Lonely Planet travel guide as 'The Bible' as it was so superior to the other travel guides we saw. That's not to say it is perfect - some things are have since gone out of date (Nothing new in China as things change so fast there), and it does stick to the tourist trail a little too much, but it is probably the most comprehensive of the guides I have seen. (However, going off the tourist trail is not so easy unless your Chinese is pretty good.) The Lonley Planet phrase book is also invaluable as it is clearly laid out and presented to the reader I could not have survived my first few months in China without it.