Profile for B. Thomson > Reviews

Halestorm
Halestorm
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Halestorm (Audio CD)
This band is one to watch. Saw them supporting Alter Bridge and Shinedown at Wembley. Hope they come to a more civilised part of the UK. G-Live in Guildford would be great - Surrey University just down the road, guaranteed audience.

GoPro Hero 3 Edition Camcorder - Black (12 MP)
GoPro Hero 3 Edition Camcorder - Black (12 MP)
Offered by TODO! TODO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of kit, 12 Feb 2014
1080P video at 48FPS, up to 240 FPS at slightly reduced res, Time lapse, waterproof, decent support on the web site.

These cameras are used by the TV companies - the video quality really is that good. I attached mine to the end of a pole, dunked it in the pond and filmed the Shibunkins :-)

My only criticism: the lens is MUCH too wide angle, anything closer than a few feet is all bent out of shape. The free-download editing software claims to be able to correct, but I haven't seen that yet.

I have a mount on the dash of my car, I use it as a Nutter-cam driving into and out of Slough.

Looking forward to the spring: I'm mounting it next to the nesting boxes. Springwatch here I come.

2.7-Inch TFT DUAL CAMERA CAR DVR GPS LOGGER G-SENSOR VEHICLE SYNCHRONOUS RECORDER
Offered by YHHao

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of space, 12 Feb 2014
The box says "HD dvr" but the claimed 1280 resolution refers to the combined front and rear facing cameras. In fact each video is 640x480. The quality is just about good enough to differentiate a Beemer from a Ford, but no hope of reading number plates.

It's crashed twice, had to wait for the battery to run down, as there is no way to reset. The handbook is hopeless Chinglish. Night video is just a blaze of tail lights. It has a power adaptor: lighter socket to USB connector, but its not a USB interface, you have to run their software off the sd card, by plugging it in an adaptor. It seems to have installed Nuance on my pc - I keep getting invitations to register. Strange - I don't run as Admin...

My advice - save your pennies and buy a GoPro Hero - there is NO comparison in the video quality. My Hero3 delivers 1080p full HD day and night, and it does time lapse, 12MP stills, its waterproof, wireless remote.

I may try and salvage the GPS unit- only 4 wires - how hard can it be?

TFA 35.1099 Primus Radio-Controlled Weather Station
TFA 35.1099 Primus Radio-Controlled Weather Station

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice system but, 6 Jan 2014
I bought this hoping to be able to read the weather at home via my home server.
The file format (history.dat) is unavailable, I have no idea why they would keep it a closely guarded secret, as they don't sell any extra software to use it. After a couple of years the rain gauge failed (due to water ingress...!) and I tried to get a replacement. Obviously it was out of warranty, and I was prepared to buy another but TFA told me it was obsolete, and I should buy another kit.
Well... no.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 7:00 PM GMT

Asus 2GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 192-Bit, NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 10 Jun 2013
Quiet, smooth. Two 19" LCDs (1440x900) primary is a 32" Panasonic TV. It never slows down.
Time for a quick blast on UT...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2013 8:55 PM BST

Windows Home Server URP1 Win32 English 1pk DSP OEI CD/DVD 10 Clt (This OEM software is intended for system builders only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill product, easy to use, 16 Sep 2010
I've had a Win2003 server running at home since 2003, and I've been planning to add extra disc, RAID etc etc, but never got round to it. I had an ancient Dell server chassis lying around, an Intel Atom processor card (10W - 4Core 1Ghz processor) so I took the plunge.
Plugged in a PCI-SATA card and a brace of 1TB drives, 30 minutes later I could see my photos on the web, my workstations were being backed up automatically, and the Mains power meter says 20W - as opposed to the 150W the old server was taking. I've installed Sql Server 2008 R2 as well, I can run a Database-driven web site while watching HD video...
It does nothing that a decent server admin couldnt do, but all I did was plug in the CD - nice one Microsoft.
Oh and I can listen to my music on the XBox (if you turn up the volume to drown the fan noise)

Undead Indeed: Live
Undead Indeed: Live
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 31 Aug 2009
This review is from: Undead Indeed: Live (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to Tarot by my son's friend, who lent me Crows Fly Back, I was so impressed I bought the album, unusual as that may seem.
That is a stunning album in itself, Undead Indeed is a live DVD -AND- CD featuring material from that album and Suffer Our Pleasures. I wish I had been in Finland for the gig, the DVD recording is digital and pristine, the sound clear and full. One of the best live recordings I've heard.
Check them out if you like hard, loud, tuneful Goth Rock. Their English is very good, the lyrics not so cheesy as some non-english bands, and the vocals are very clear.
Hopefully they will tour in the UK soon.

Panasonic TX-P50G10B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freesat - Installation Recommended (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars In the interests of balance, 29 Jun 2009
I took delivery of mine last week. The delivery company was NightFreight, and I was concerned after reading another customer's problems, but they phoned me to arrange a day and time,phoned me again to rearrange a more convenient time on the agreed day, then the delivery guy phoned me on his mobile to confirm that they would be there within the next half hour, and they were. Physical delivery is always the issue with internet purchasing, but this process worked.
On to the TV: Stunning. We have tried it with an older upscaling DVD player (only 1080i, not p)... brilliant. A PC delivering Unreal Tournament at 1024x768...Yikes! As expected, upscaling terrestrial digital is average - its a shame we havent even finished getting the supscriber base onto digital, and the standard is obsolete already...Not yet able to feed it with Freesat HD, but will update later. Blu-ray player awaiting funds, again will update later. Its heavy, but manageable. The inputs are all on lower left rear as you view it, so we need to re-arrange our equipment stack, an excuse to dust! It is very thin, but if you use the included pedestal the footprint is quite deep. We have invested in a wall mount.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2013 12:07 AM BST

Programming Microsoft Windows with Microsoft Visual Basic.Net (Pro-Developer)
Programming Microsoft Windows with Microsoft Visual Basic.Net (Pro-Developer)
by Charles Petzold

5.0 out of 5 stars Petzold does it again, 3 Feb 2003
Long - time Windows developers will remember Charles Petzold's previous books - Programming the OS/2 presentation manager and Programming Windows. The latest incarnaion of his book does the same job for the new DotNet environment. Covering such areas as console applications, basic forms management, text output and drawing with pens and brushes, he covers almost everything you will need to begin using the new environment. The chapters are carefully designed to give the basic grounding, then build on that grounding in a structured manner.
If I have any criticisms, they are that the samples rely too much on the first chapter in that every application starts life as a console window which spawns a "real" window - while it is important to understand the mechanics, few real-life applications would be written this way. A glaring omission is that there is no CD included with the book - and the dotnet framework is a 20MB download - fine if you have ADSL or a T1 link in the office, but prohibitive on a 56K Modem. Overall, however, it is a well written and readable book. Highly recommended.