Profile for Elle B Reader > Reviews

AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter
AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter
Offered by Stuff 4 Crafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 7 Jun. 2012
Can't imagine why putting a cutter, fabric and die together and turning a handle should be fun - but it is. I bought my GO cutter about 18 months ago (from America) it came with one free die to cut a large square, one 2" square and 4 triangles (2 will make a 2" square).
I also bought another dozen or so dies, mainly for applique shapes. My friends and myself have used it almost constantly, it makes perfect matching so easy that even though I thought I was cutting accurately with my rotary cutter this knocks socks off 2" squares and triangles. I often have applique shapes running in the borders and making them with this, it's so easy and pleasurable. The feather (or flame) shapes can be worked into wonderful hearts and circles and look beautiful and impressive when quilted around the edges. The GO cutter is wonderfully sturdy, easy to turn (so long as you don't overload the fabrics) and well worth the outlay if you can also afford the dies to go with it. Sad that these cost so much, the only downside really.
If you buy the hexagon die shapes you can use this to cut the shape out of freezer paper or any other paper BUT one drawback is that you can't also cut one a size larger in fabric, they don't size up for that. Annoying.
There can also be some fabric waste you wouldn't normally have but for me I've managed to keep that down. One really great use is for the small scraps of fabric you can salvage by turning them into a hexagon, square, triangle, leaf or flower shape and package them separately - I use the containers that tomatoes come in, one for each shape. The longer pieces I cut into strips ready for log cabin style and roll them up.
One other point for anyone doing applique, you don't have to back the fabric before you cut it out, you can cut the HeatnBond (or whatever you use) from the same shape later, then iron it onto the fabric piece. Of course, you may also back the fabric before you cut it, just allow for the extra thickness.
The cutter has inspired me to keep my fabric stash much tidier and having shapes ready to go is wonderful.
The cutting mats last a long time - I bought a couple of the long ones and a couple of the square ones when I got the cutter and so far I'm still using the first of each, and that's in spite of a tremendous amount of use.
Asking family and friends to club together to buy any die sets you want when its gift giving times could solve a problem for both of you.
If you have any queries I haven't covered here please leave a comment and I'll do my best.

29th September 2012 - My first square mat has developed a split along one side - and has buckled along it's length - time to use the second mat. The long one is becoming bendy so I shall also use the second long one next time I cut out.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 9:14 AM BST

Sweet and Simple Patchwork Gifts
Sweet and Simple Patchwork Gifts
by Hisako Arai

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginings, 24 May 2012
Some books just make you want to dash to your stash and get the cutters going, for me this is one of them. Nothing fussy or complicated, simple designs in bright chirpy colours (I suspect that's what sets me off). Designs make use of classics, hexagons, log cabin, stars, squares and polygons. Projects range from pincushions, potholders and cushions to little purses and zippered bags, all quick to make and I think someone new to sewing would really enjoy the small challenges this book presents. Diagrams and instructions are fine, some of these can make "take along" projects (hand sewn), and even for someone with more experience these items are little inspirations.

Pretty Patchwork Quilts
Pretty Patchwork Quilts
by Cyndi Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty patchwork it is, 21 May 2012
There's a sort of ordered scrappiness about most of the designs in this book, which are suitable for anyone who is a confident beginner (or someone more experienced). The author is part of the Riley Blake fabric design team and her bright and airy style shows in this book as well as her fabric line. There are 12 designs, some of which feature applique, most are geometric style but there is one which has floral applique as well; the quilts vary in size but are not large enough for full bedsize, a bonus really, helps to make use of scraps keeping costs down.
Patterns will need enlarging, but instructions are clear, nothing difficult to make or anything taking ages to finish.

Dual Image Applique
Dual Image Applique
by Dilys Fronks

5.0 out of 5 stars Two from one will go, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Dual Image Applique (Paperback)
I love the designs in this- and the thought of having no waste fabric is even better. The cat in the window wallhanging is lovely, and the floral quilt is stunning. Makes you wonder why it hasn't been done in such a way before, the idea is so simple, you get the negative and positive image and use both. There are mini projects for practice, and with about 10 items and good instructions, this is a book for all skill levels. There's also some machine applique and quilting at the same time. A good selection of projects, from runners, wall hangings to quilts, really a winner on so many levels.

Elegant Quilts, Country Charm: Applique Designs in Cotton and Wool
Elegant Quilts, Country Charm: Applique Designs in Cotton and Wool
by Deirdre Bond-Abel

4.0 out of 5 stars The girls can crow about this one, 21 May 2012
There are instructions for 11 projects, for table runners, quilts, and wall hangings with some good instructions for finishing with a sawtooth or scalloped borders.
For the most part blanket stitch is used on the wool applique shapes, also used are glue sticks (and office staples ..... these are only temporary - happy about that!).
There are good tips when using designs made up of multiple layers, the items are attractive and simple to complete. Patterns are full size, and the book is excellent if you want to try wool applique (no turning under) embroidered onto cotton.
The authors have their own blog - and shop - The Quilted Crow will find them so take a look at their style, see if it suits you.

Perfect Piecing: Rodale's Quilting Library
Perfect Piecing: Rodale's Quilting Library
by Karen Soltys

5.0 out of 5 stars From now on perfect piecing it is, 15 May 2012
I have been doing patchwork for many years and often wondered just why some simple shapes behave as expected sometimes, but not others. I cut accurately, stitch accurately then measure, one will be fine and another will not. Answer - in this book.
The information is presented with full step by step pictures, explanations for why so many pieces can twist - even when you cut on grain etc, and how to avoid problems with angles, Y seams, you name it, it's in here. Invaluable book, I wish I'd had it years ago. One of the best things about it is that it gives a reason WHY things need to be done in certain ways - learn the lesson, avoid any pitfalls in future, and piece perfectly. Brilliant book.

The Classic American Quilt Collection: Schoolhouse (Rodale Quilt Book)
The Classic American Quilt Collection: Schoolhouse (Rodale Quilt Book)
by Karen Costello Soltys

4.0 out of 5 stars From the 1800's to today, 15 May 2012
There are 11 different quilt ideas in this slim book, good cutting instructions clear diagrams and graded projects make things easy. One quilt has four houses centred, with a different plan around them, another has the houses on their corners,and one is a pastel honeymoon cottage Alice Brookes style - not a schoolhouse at all, it doesn't look out of place in here.
Another unusual one is a log cabin block, with a schoolhouse in place of the usual red square,the colour palette is limited and it is set in the barn raising setting, this is suitable for an intermediate quiltmaker (due to the setting not the block). The house is 4" with a block size of 10" and I'll be using block but not the setting.
There is a good variety of styles, block sizes vary but are large enough to produce a quick quilt, allowing for the number of pieces in each one, schoolhouse block isn't a difficult one to piece and a beginner would find it easy to do.
I haven't found books with a variety of Schoolhouse blocks easy to find so I'm pleased I finally have this one in my collection.

America's Heritage Quilts
America's Heritage Quilts
by Martha Jahns

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, historical, and oh so beautiful, 14 May 2012
I've just received this book, and can't wait to get started - but where to start, that's the problem! I love the older books like this, they're wonderful value, so many patterns from which to choose. Quilt classics are timeless, we still produce quilts from patterns first made over 100 years ago, often only our methods change, sometimes we don't even bother changing those. I have no fault to find with making pieces from templates and sewing by hand, I used to feel I had to finish a quilt almost as soon as I'd started it, now I love to have one or two on the go that are by hand, it's so relaxing. It will probably be the Bride's Bouquet that will win first choice from this book, all by hand, but that's because I've wanted to make this particular design for some time.
Although template designs are given for almost all designs in the book, any experienced quiltmaker will soon work out how to cut and piece these using a rotary cutter and sewing machine to make up more quickly. Don't let templates put you off, the book has a most wonderful and numerous selection with interesting information covering quilt history over the last 150 years or so. Full instructions are give, diagrams and even suggested quilting patterns.
As it's no longer in print, buy it at a bargain price it's worth so much more.

Classic Knits for Real Women
Classic Knits for Real Women
by Martin Storey

5.0 out of 5 stars Suits me, 14 May 2012
I too was concerned that the styles in the book might not be me - but they are. Joy. I looked at Martin Storey's designs on the internet, decided that I liked most so bought the book. Good decision, it has plenty in there in various yarn thicknesses, and sufficient size variations to make it worthwhile.
True, the designs are pretty standard, not exciting (I don't want exciting to walk around Sainsburys) but not dull, especially when you take into account the variety of yarns which can be used. The styles are reliable, very comfortable and wearable something that seems to have gone from the knitwear section of many stores today. It won't suit everyone, but it suits me, pleased about that.

Debbie Mumm's Country Inspirations: More Than 40 Bright and Beautiful Quilt Projects and Accessories to Fill Your Home With Joy
by Debbie Mumm

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings the outdoors inside, 14 May 2012
As stated by another reviewer, the book comprises two books in one, Country Settings and Birdhouses - and in my copy the second part of this book has some illustrations slightly out of focus (just lucky I guess!). I find her illustrations reminiscent of Mary Engelbreit, although the vibrancy is missing, warm pastels being more her style.
There are so many smaller projects in here I'm sure that any beginner, particularly one who likes country style, folk art, log cabins, barns etc would love this. The book is lovely to browse through, there are lots of illustrations, instructions are clear with plenty of diagrams along the way. Very enjoyable and excellent value for money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13