Profile for Elle B Reader > Reviews

Content by Elle B Reader

Elle B Reader (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Castorland Bridge Cottage Jigsaw (500-Piece)
Castorland Bridge Cottage Jigsaw (500-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality puzzle, 3 Jun. 2015
First one by this brand for me. It's made from thin hard card, much firmer than the ones made by King. It fits together very well, no doubts as to whether you have the right piece (like the Ravensburger ones and unlike some of the Gibson puzzles) and a delight to complete. I have another 500 and 2 x 2000 ones to do now, that's how much I enjoyed this one. I have to admit that I prefer the thin pieces to the chunky ones so many puzzles are now made from, this card is strong enough not to bend easily, and I'm happy with my purchase.

Unmistakably French
Unmistakably French
by Betty Lou Phillips

2.0 out of 5 stars Unmistakably American, 18 May 2015
This review is from: Unmistakably French (Hardcover)
American designers idea of what French style is. Overdone, overstuffed and lacking in the natural elegance of true French style.

Paper-pieced Mini Quilts (That Patchwork Place)
Paper-pieced Mini Quilts (That Patchwork Place)
by Wendy Vosters

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring, 3 May 2015
Nothing new in here, you can see the quilts on Martingale's web site, certainly not worth paying an outrageous prices for.

Birds Of A feather [1000 Piece Jigsaw]
Birds Of A feather [1000 Piece Jigsaw]
Offered by Film Frenzy Fast Delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious mixture, 16 Mar. 2015
Great quality as usual, and strangely shaped pieces (again, as usual) coupled with fabulous colours, a very beautiful composition of lovely items made for an enjoyable puzzle. We found the 1000 pieces more easy to identify than those in the 500 ones we have (possibly due to the different texture and colour range of the subjects), but one difficulty is sorting them, no way can you put like sizes or shapes together, it's just one glorious mixture - just adds to the fun. This is a lovely puzzle, it's also a good introduction to this brand's puzzles.

King Allgau Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
King Allgau Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Offered by Quickdraw Stationery UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a quick fix, 16 Mar. 2015
I loved this jigsaw. King puzzles don't have pieces made from thick cardstock, but they're strong enough, ours have never bent out of shape nor split off from the top, so we're happy with them. This puzzle was very satisfying. There are some simple parts such as along the bottom three rows, some more difficult ones such as the buidings, but the truly challenging ones are the trees - very confusing in parts and we had to move quite a few when we found we couldn't get a good fit in other places. Some pieces do fit for size (but not for pattern when you look closely) into the wrong area, but you find this out when you can't complete somewhere else, we like this aspect, makes for a real puzzle. So far this is the most difficult of the King puzzles for us, but we enjoyed it.

Puss in Books Jigsaw Puzzle (1000-Piece)
Puss in Books Jigsaw Puzzle (1000-Piece)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - pieces missing, 16 Feb. 2015
The puzzle I bought had several pieces missing, I contacted Gibsons (as they say to do) and they said the puzzle would be replaced within 28 days. The replacement has now arrived and we are currently doing this one and hoping that it's all there. I'll add to this review one way or the other when the puzzle is finished. UPDATE 4th March The replacement puzzle has been completed. The shapes were cut totally differently to the first puzzle, and I actually enjoyed making the first one more (allowing for the missing pieces that is), that said, this one is complete. I can't honestly say I enjoyed doing it again, but that's because each time I couldn't find a piece I kept thinking it wasn't there at all, and this ruined it for me. Provided you receive one with all the pieces I think you'll find it enjoyable, the pieces are sturdy and fit well, and the picture quality is excellent.

500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Sure as Sunrise "NEW JULY 2014"
500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Sure as Sunrise "NEW JULY 2014"
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 23 Jan. 2015
Very unusual shaped pieces make this a real challenge. The quality is good but if you like your puzzles made with conventional shapes then you may want to avoid this brand. I enjoy them, they take longer than usual for a 500 piece puzzle and it's fun when you see the shape of the piece you're looking for - not at all what you thought. If you haven't tried these puzzles give them a go - as a family we love them. They aren't really difficult and make a pleasant change.

500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Going To Town "NEW JULY 2014"
500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Going To Town "NEW JULY 2014"
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 23 Jan. 2015
Good quality pieces, cut into the strangest shapes imaginable. I found it impossible to sort these into shapes - or even colours - they all had to stay mixed. Putting the pieces together was a real challenge, never quite sure what to look for, nonetheless I found it enjoyable. If you prefer your pieces to be the usual shapes (i.e. two bobbles two holes etc) avoid this brand, the shapes are weird. Also I bought it cheaper elsewhere.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars The price is too high, 14 Jan. 2015
Too expensive by far, order from an English patchwork shop and pay about £12.00 even an American patchwork shop won't charge this price. The Bali Snaps are lovely quality, Hoffman fabric is excellent, but for 10 pieces of fabric measuring 5" x 5" this price is ridiculous.

Best of Fons & Porter: Tabletop Quilts: Bk.2: 12 Quick Designs for Every Decor and Skill Level!
by Marianne Fons

5.0 out of 5 stars Topping toppers, 25 Nov. 2014
I bought this in November (hence the date of the review) through Amazon although they say the publication date is April(I initially read about the book on the Leisure Arts website).
It's a wonderful little book, several of the toppers are pieced, others have applique. The designers are not Fons and Porter, but Nancy Maloney, Lisa Bongean, Lisa Jenkins and Becky Goldsmith of Piece o'Cake, with other talented designers. If you're new to patchwork and quilting be aware, the little quilts do not have step by step instructions, and one is foundation paper pieced which requires copying the design (either by hand or copymachine) 48 times. That said, I love many of the toppers, I hope to make a couple and show photos before long. If you need more information please leave a comment and I'll be happy to oblige.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14