Profile for K. Young > Reviews

Content by K. Young

K. Young (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Express Trading ® FOLDING 2 SECTIONS DOUBLE LAUNDRY WASHING CLOTHES BIN HAMPER BASKET SORTER

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the concept - it gives me a tidy utility room!, 27 Jun 2014
Such a simple idea, that I don't know why I didn't get something like this years ago. Rather than a huge pile of dirty washing in front of the machine, that I would have to sort before loading, I now have a tidy room, and putting a load on is much quicker. It's a good size - about thigh height, and slightly wider than the washing machine. It goes together very easily, with velcro tabs to hold the poles in place. However, the poles poke through at the slightest touch, making the top sag slightly. This is the only thing I'd change about it - I don't think it would have been very hard to have the upright poles fitting into the rigid top bar. Overall I would definitely recommend it - or something very similar.

BillyOh BBQ Imperial 4 Burner Hooded Gas Barbecue Including Cover, Gas Hose And Regulator

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, large BBQ., 27 Jun 2014
Bought this about a month ago. It arrived on a pallet and looked huge! Constructing it wasn't too bad - about an hour with mostly one person, needed a second person for a couple of bits. The regulator that came with it didn't fit my gas bottle, and Go Outdoors didn't have a gas bottle that would fit it either, so I had to spend an extra £9 on a new one, which is a bit of a pain. Lit first time, cooked very well - in fact, you have to be a bit careful because it cooks quite fast. Love the griddle area for doing vegetables and fiddly bits. Not that easy to clean, but then I've never had a BBQ that was. So far we've mostly used 1/2 the grill area and 1/2 the griddle for four of us, but if we have visitors the rest of the space will come into its own. Over all very good, but then I'd expect it to be for £250!

Mini Party Bubble Machine
Mini Party Bubble Machine
Offered by imustbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mini Party Bubble Machine
If you're looking to buy one of this type of bubble machines, look at the products listed carefully. At the time of writing this, I notice that, in addition to this model, there are three Cheetah ones available on the first page, two blue and one pink, which are similar to this. They have very different star ratings, but are the same machine - which just goes to show that 1) some of them work better than others, even if bought identical AND/OR 2) reviews are very subjective!!

I have used the Cheetah in the past, but for the last few years I've stuck to this model - the pale blue and red one shown here, which doesn't seem to have a brand name. On average they last me 12-18 months, and I use them for a few hours a week, for children's music classes. When new, they have good consistent bubble flow, but eventually the motor seems to slow down, leading to spasmodic bubble production. They work well on both mains and battery and have a nice deep well for mixture.

On the negative side, it tends to be slightly front-heavy due to the weight of the mixture, and you can't remove the rotating wands for cleaning. This last is my main gripe - why can't they make it so that it's detachable, and I can give it a good clean under the tap, rather than having to try to fiddle about rinsing it whilst trying not to get water in the motor?

On balance, though, having used lots of bubble machines - including expensive metal ones (excellent, but so many bubbles that they're really only for outdoors, or non-slip floors); and the hand-held types too - I have decided to give this 5 stars, because I think it's very good for the money (around fourteen pounds, including postage at time of writing), and I haven't yet found anything better.

I hope this helps answer any queries you might have had, and I will also try to respond to any comments you might wish to leave, if you have a question.

Kong Air Squeakair Ball, Medium, Pack of 3
Kong Air Squeakair Ball, Medium, Pack of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe there are negative reviews for these!, 1 Nov 2013
These are the only balls my bearded collie doesn't destroy immediately. They last ages - usually complete with squeaker, although this sometimes stops working after a while. If I use ordinary tennis balls, they don't even make it through one game. I use a ball thrower, so need something tough. I don't leave her with the balls between games, as even the Kong ones can have their outer layer removed by a dog that likes to chew balls.

Bigjigs Toys BJF143 Wooden Play Food Cupcake (Pack of 2)
Bigjigs Toys BJF143 Wooden Play Food Cupcake (Pack of 2)
Offered by Bigjigs Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Sep 2013
Arrived the day after I ordered, much faster than expected. I wanted these to do "Five currant buns in a baker's shop" with a music class, as they can easily pass for currant buns, and have the requisite cherry on the top! The cherry is very tempting to small children, but after a few days of use in classes, none of them have yet come off, so I'm hoping they will be durable. Overall very nice quality, and a good size for children (about the size of a fairy cake).

Skinners Field and Trial Duck and Rice Dry Mix 15 kg
Skinners Field and Trial Duck and Rice Dry Mix 15 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff - and good value., 18 July 2013
The Field and Trial food from Skinners is cheaper than many other complete dog foods because it is VAT free, as it's intended for working dogs. However, as long as you have a fairly active mutt, it's also an excellent food for our pets! My own three-year old female bearded collie cross has a dodgy tummy - if I give her another dog food she will more often than not get the runs. (Although apparently she's fine with half a pound of butter and Baileys - things she managed to get to on a couple of occasions.) This food has never given her a problem, and I would highly recommend it.

The Girl On The Bus (John Halle Thriller #1)
The Girl On The Bus (John Halle Thriller #1)

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm up to 52% and not sure whether to bother with the rest!, 8 July 2013
I liked the title, and was impressed with all the rave reviews, but I'm struggling with this book. It annoys me when the reader is constantly not told the whole picture, with just hints being thrown out, and this author does that. I'm not convinced by the main character's strange ability to (in his own words) just open his mouth and see what comes out, and have this work for him. If I did that, I'm sure I'd just be saying "ummm...". Right from the start it's been irritating that he's mostly referred to by his surname, which I'm not sure how to pronounce - is it just said "hall" or "hallie", like Halle Berry? Most annoying is the author's tendency to tell us the same thing more than once, and to go on a bit about inconsequential stuff like the fact that Rugby League players are being poached by Rugby Union - who cares? There's also the spelling and grammar mistakes that other reviewers have mentioned. It was a first for me to find kerb spelled "curb" and then (correctly) "kerb" within a couple of pages. If the story was good enough, none of these small annoyances would be enough to stop me reading the rest of the book. Sadly, I think it's about to go into the great archive in the ether.

Fractured
Fractured

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story - loved it!, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
Characters are always the main draw for me in a book, and the ones in this story were really easy to relate to. Although based on a weird premise - that the main character has somehow switched from one version of her life to another - it was a great story, and kept me reading even when I should have been doing other things! I do wish, as so often with Kindle publications, that someone would carefully read through for errors before putting the book out - I hate seeing "kerb" spelled "curb" in British books, and as for having your curiosity "peeked" instead of "piqued", what can I say???? Note to author - I'd be very happy to check your next book for you prior to publishing! However, this story was sufficiently good to get five stars from me even with these errors. At under a pound, I can't recommend this highly enough.

The Half-Life Of Hannah
The Half-Life Of Hannah

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy read., 22 Feb 2013
Others have commented that this is a slow-starter. I would say it's more than you spend a lot of time living the ordinary life of the characters (especially Hannah) - even to the extent that we know what she eats for each meal! However, that mundanity is part of the story in my opinion. The whole point is that we understand that Hannah's life isn't exciting, and Hannah recognises that this is the case, and can't decide whether that's OK, or whether she should do something about it. I'm not going to give any clue here as to what she eventually resolves to do: you'll have to read the book!

I often forget the titles of books and the names of authors when reading on the Kindle: it's not there, printed on the outside for me to see every time I pick it up. Therefore, when I finished this book I was actually a little surprised to see that it was written by a man. This is an easy read, and took me a couple of days during a holiday.

ADDIS Twist Mop in Graphite
ADDIS Twist Mop in Graphite
Offered by Stewart and Gibson Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mop ever., 18 Feb 2013
I felt compelled to write a review, as one of the four on here isn't a review of the product at all, but still manages to lower the overall star rating. I've had my mop for about three years and love it - I'm about to replace it as it's looking a bit worse for wear, but will definitely go for the same again. Contrary to the other negative review, I don't think it takes a lot of strength to wring it at all - it's much more effective than the ones that bend in half to squeeze the water out, or using the colander type bucket-top. It does a good job of cleaning my filthy floor (I have two mucky dogs). Would recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6