Profile for R. L. Warren > Reviews

Content by R. L. Warren

R. L. Warren "bexavid" (england)

The Long Walk
The Long Walk
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff.., 20 Feb 2012
I have loved this book for years. The premise of following one boy as he walks, for days, may sound dull. It's not. It's exhausting, and heart renching, and I personally think quite scary....Not only because you are being carried along with someone as he descends into madness, but also because of the fact that as reality tv becomes more and more popular, it becomes more and more feasible that we could be heading this way. I read this every year or so, and every time it stays with me for days. Give it a try.

Heritage Womens Sterling Silver and Amethyst Art Nouveau Necklace, 9203AM 18"
Heritage Womens Sterling Silver and Amethyst Art Nouveau Necklace, 9203AM 18"
Price: 28.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 28 Dec 2010
A very pretty pice of jewellery, no surprises with the size or quality. Everything is as you would expect from the picture, and the chain is substantial enough for this to be left on all the time, which is what I was after. The box is lovely, all in all a great buy.

UR
UR
Price: 2.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: UR (Kindle Edition)
This is an easy little read, a story about a kindle with 'special features' that lead the owner into difficult decisions. The ending did feel a bit flat, but all in all this was an enjoyable story which easily kept me interested through to the end.

Book of Night Women
Book of Night Women
by Marlon James

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes some time!!, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Book of Night Women (Paperback)
I found this book difficult to get into to begin with, mainly because of the speech used,(it is written as its characters would have spoken) which made it feel disjointed to me at first. However after a day or so of struggling with it I became more comfortable, and it started to make sense. After that I really enjoyed the book, the storyline is fast moving, if a little confusing at times. The reality of how people were treated by their 'owners' is deeply disturbing, making this an educational tale, you will think about it once you have closed the book!!

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Cathedrals.....who'd have thought!!!, 7 Dec 2010
This book is stunning from the very beginning. Never one to be daunted by hefty tomes, I was none the less concerned that a book this size based on building a Cathedral might drag a bit!! I am happy to say, I was wrong.
Deeply gripping, Ken Follett creates characters that you either love or hate, the 'goodies' do have some flaws to make them human, although the 'baddies' generally have few redeeming features!!
Whether the historical accuracy is good or bad (unfortunately I wouldn't know!) it is fascinating to be so immersed in the superstitions and difficulties of life at the time.
I am overjoyed to have discovered this author, and have already devoured the equally large sequel, so will be working my way through the rest as soon as possible!!! Read this book, you wont regret it.

The Heretic Queen
The Heretic Queen
by Michelle Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Egyptian getaway, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Heretic Queen (Hardcover)
Loving all things Egyptian as I do, I was expecting to enjoy this book, and I wasn't disappointed!! As in the prequel Nefertiti, this book painted a vivid picture of life in ancient Egypt. I can't comment on how accurate the history was, but I loved the insight into the style of life. The story was fast moving and engaging, all in all, a great read!!

Bread Alone
Bread Alone
by Judith Ryan Hendricks
Price: 8.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Bread Alone (Paperback)
This is a very nice, well thought out tale of a woman who regains her independance after a marriage break up.
You will find yourself rooting for Wynter as she tries to build a life on her own, and applauding her small triumphs. She is a very likeable character, and one that many people will relate to I imagine. I especially liked the descriptions of life from the view of a shift worker, being someone who works nights myself the joys and problems of going to bed when most are waking up certainly rang true!

Life and Laughing: My Story
Life and Laughing: My Story
by Michael McIntyre
Price: 16.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny!, 5 Nov 2010
I loved this book!! Very funny, right from the start. It had all the charm of the man himself, in fact I often found myself giggling quietly after I had closed the book thinking back to particular stories or jokes.
There are deeper moments, and these are equally well written, although it will come as no surprise that the 'funny stuff' is where he shines. The pace is slower towards the end of the book, before he gets the big breaks, but it was easily interesting enough to keep me reading to the end. This pictures are a welcome visual addition to his descriptions of the people around him.
All in all, thoroughly enjoyable!

The Crimson Petal and the White
The Crimson Petal and the White
by Michel Faber

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, 5 Nov 2010
This was the first book of Michel Fabers that I have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I admit that my enjoyment of a book comes from the story, and I dont tend to find myself worrying about historical context or the specifics of life in a certain time period. Therefore, if these sort of things irritate you then I warn you in advance, I wont have noticed them!! That said, I loved this book. I found myself caught up in the story, and swept along by beautiful descriptive passages and characters that, despite their (sometimes glaring) faults, I grew very fond of. The only downfall for me was that it did start to drag a little towards the end, still very readable, but not quite the 'stay up all night' standard of the first half!
Also, this may only apply to me, but I loved the paper used for the pages...