Profile for Paul Readman > Reviews

Content by Paul Readman

Paul Readman "Redmaaan" (Scotland, UK)

The Buried Giant
The Buried Giant

5.0 out of 5 stars An odd one ... in a good way, 3 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Buried Giant (Kindle Edition)
A friend of mine who'd sworn never to read a book with a dragon in it, broke his own rule to read this. And I'd say it's a price worth paying.

Ishiguro creates a world that mixes a realistically hard everyday life with elements of the fantastic. It's a world where magic creatures, an Arthurian knight and sorcery are just accepted as everyday, part of a humdrum existence.

In spite of this being very different from anything of his I've read before, I found I was gripped by the story and quite moved by the relationship of the old couple at the centre of it all. There's an allegorical feel to a lot of it, and like all the Ishiguro books I've read, it leaves you with the seeds of things to think about for some time to come.

Pasodoble
Pasodoble

5.0 out of 5 stars All part of life's rich tapas tree, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Pasodoble (Kindle Edition)
Like a Spanish Aurelio Zen, Pasodoble's Inspector Moreno knows his food and has his own ideas about how the police should operate.

I thought the book had loads of humour and local colour, as well as a cast of ex-pats that mostly made you squirm satisfyingly about being British.

For all his many faults, you can't help feeling Moreno would be entertaining company over a caña and a tapa or two.

Though of course, you'd be paying.

A Killing Kindness: A Charles Dickens/Harry Pilgrim mystery (The Charles Dickens/Harry Pilgrim Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor-sharp Victorian crime thriller, 6 April 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. The plot crackles along, and there's a couple of twists I definitely didn't see coming. It's a darker Victorian London than we're used to from Dickens' books - and probably a lot more realistic for that.

Especially liked the grudging relationship between Pilgrim and Dickens - this is not a cosy partnership. But it's definitely one I'd like to see more of.

The Long War: (Long Earth 2) (The Long Earth)
The Long War: (Long Earth 2) (The Long Earth)

1.0 out of 5 stars A sadly disappointing follow-up, 23 July 2013
Having enjoyed The Long Earth, I'd been looking forward to reading this - however, I struggled to finish it, it was such a disappointment.

The book laboured over re-establishing the characters and re-visiting the plot, and had none of the freshness and wonder of the first book. Indeed, the old characters seemed washed-out and uninteresting, while the new ones really didn't establish themselves.

On the basis of this sequel, this doesn't feel like an idea with legs.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

1.0 out of 5 stars The time thief, 17 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I thought this was a very disappointing book. Both too long and rambling and too disjointed, it took you on a journey to nowhere and left you wondering why you'd bothered.

It seems to aim for magical and moving, yet comes across as coy and irritating.

The author's use of language is so very bad that I thought it must have been translated - badly - into English. Sadly, this isn't the case. There was one phrase that had me shouting "WHAT? That's beyond ridicule," but I can't remember what it was. And I'm glad I've expunged it from my memory.

The subject matter's been done better elsewhere, as has the style. My wife - who'd read it before me - warned that it was poor. I foolishly thought I knew better.

I'll never get back the hours that I spent reading it. Markus Zusak - you are the time thief.