Profile for Studebacher Hoch > Reviews

Content by Studebacher Hoch

Studebacher Hoch

Page: 1 | 2
Mens Short Sleeve Premium Formal Oxford Shirts Sizes 14.5 to 19.5 / S to 3XL (M - 15.5, CHARCOAL)
Offered by sakclothing

3.0 out of 5 stars Check sizings carefully., 23 April 2015
Shirt is fine, but it was way too large.
I checked the size chart before I ordered - maybe it's a generic amazon chart.
My shirt is medium but I would call it extra large at least.

LÄTHER
LÄTHER

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so happy together, 2 April 2015
This review is from: LÄTHER (Audio CD)
Unfortunately, this is my least favourite Zappa release and I own around 40 CDs.
This CD consists of 4 albums combined: Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favourites, New York and Studio Tan, plus a few unreleased things.
Now, I have owned NY for around 20 years and it's one of my favourite releases. However, the versions on this album are ruined by the mix and reverb/echo. Even Don Pardo gets swamped with reverb, and the guitars on Illinois Enema Bandit have unnecessary and un-Zappa-like reverb.
Whilst on NY the songs flow, here they are chopped up amongst the rest of the albums and it doesn't flow. And Black Page #1 has the first half missing entirely.
I have owned Studio Tan and Orchestral Favourites for around 15 years and the songs are pretty much the same here, but mixed up among the others and don't flow.
I hadn't previously owned Sleep Dirt which is why I bought this. The songs are fine but the songs Sleep Dirt and Time is Money are missing from here.
The unreleased songs: Down in De Dew and Duck Duck Goose are great, The Young Sophisticate is a bit simplistic and strangely un-Zappa like and the others have better versions on other releases.
The interludes/links are mostly already used on Sheik Yerbouti and become tiresome on this album.
In summary I don't care whether this was originally intended as a 4 LP set together, the albums work much better seperately.
I'll be buying Sleep Dirt and probably won't listen to Läther again.

The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy
The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy

2.0 out of 5 stars Too young for me, 2 Nov. 2014
I bought this on a whim after reading the synopsis but I should have really tried a sample.
I would say this is aimed at early teens. I'm much older than that and the writing seemed very simplistic in places.
Also, there were a lot of modernisms and some Americanisms that seemed out of place.
Sad to say, I didn't complete this book.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality and user friendly, 14 May 2014
I bought these to replace Sennheiser CX-300's that I'd accidentally shut in a car door - oops!
The sound quality is great - comparable to the Sennheiser's if not better.
I had a small problem with weak bass, but once I worked out which eartips fitted me best, no problems.
Anyway, there are a couple of things that always annoyed me about the Sennheiser's which don't apply to the SoundMAGIC's.
Firstly, the CX-300 had a lovely rubberised coating? Which design engineer ever thought this was a good idea!?
The high friction rubber snagged on clothing, regularly tugging the earphones out. Also, they tangled like nothing ever before, and took hours to untangle because of the rubber gripping to itself.
Secondly, the CX-300s always seemed to transmit sound to my ears. So a little accidental tap of the wire translated to a huge thump in the ears. Fine if you sit perfectly still, not so good if you are walking.
Anyway, the SoundMAGIC ones suffer from none of this, and look pretty cool as well, I think!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2014 7:59 PM BST

CVLIFE 16x40 Compact Sports Monocular Telescope Pocket Mono Spotting Scope With Pouch Black
Offered by cvlife-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for me, 22 April 2014
I was a bit wary about the price - you get what you pay for, etc.
But I thought at £11 it wouldn't be a big waste if they never got used.
Anyway, I wanted this as a quick spotting scope for use in target archery.
People often use floor standing, tripod mounted expensive scopes but that was too much faff for me.
I wanted something to hang off my belt to use for a quick look to see where arrows are landing at distances from 40 yards to 100 yards.
For this, this little scope is perfect.
I had to fold the eye piece back to give me a full field of view because I wear glasses.
I get a nice big field of view and it focusses nice and easy at all distances.
It's small and light enough to hang off my belt.
And very cheap!

Torture
Torture

5.0 out of 5 stars A brutal offering, 15 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Torture (Audio CD)
Being a long time fan of Cannibal Corpse since their first two albums, I was expecting big things from this new offering.
Whilst personally I think CC hit their peak with Gallery of Suicide and Bloodthirst, and the last few albums have not left much impression on me, I was picking up on the buzz that this new album was something special.

Well, I pre-ordered this and once it arrived I was blown away.
For me the last couple of albums lacked really memorable songs, which weren't bad, just not classics.
Torture is a different thing altogether.
As consistent in quality as Bloodthirst, with standout tracks being Scourge of Iron, Intestinal Crank, As Deep as the Knife Will Go. Actually, most of them!

This is not another churned out run of the mill album (although I'm going to go back and re-evaluate the 2002-2009 albums), but a genuine killer album which stands alongside previous best ones and should provide some brutal additions to their live set.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2013 8:36 AM GMT

For Richer, For Poorer: Confessions of a Player
For Richer, For Poorer: Confessions of a Player
by Victoria Coren

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and addictive!, 3 Jan. 2012
I quite like Victoria Coren from what I have seen on TV, and have a passing interest in poker.
After hearing comedian Richard Herring praise this book I thought I'd give it a try and was glad I did.
If you don't like poker at all, you probably won't find it interesting.
However, I'm not a gambler, but found all the stories about casinos and wagers between players astonishing and eye-opening!
Towards the end I thought it got quite sad and poingant as it became apparent how desperate even the most successful players were, how much they needed to play and to gamble.
But overall, I really enjoyed this book, and completed it in just a few days of reading.

Diary of the Displaced - Chasing Spirits: The Memoirs of Reginald Weldon
Diary of the Displaced - Chasing Spirits: The Memoirs of Reginald Weldon

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 10 Aug. 2011
I bought this cheap (89p or something?) after reading Diary of the Displaced which I got for free and liked a lot.

Well, it was a nice little read, with some inventive and creepy ideas in it, but ultimately not as good as DotD.
Not sure why, I enjoyed it but didn't find it quite as gripping.

Nevertheless I have now bought The Last to Fall (The Travels of Joseph Dean) when it was also cheap as I do like Glynn's style.
Keep it up!

Rainbow Dome Musick
Rainbow Dome Musick

5.0 out of 5 stars An ambient gem!, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Rainbow Dome Musick (Audio CD)
I have been a long time fan of Mr Hillage, but somehow never got round to buying this album.

It is quite different to much of his other music. Although fans will be familiar with the style and sound, these pieces are much longer and more instrumental with more subtle guitar soloing.

Apparently this album influenced The Orb when they were starting out and it's not difficult to hear why.

A very relaxed ambient aural soundscape.

Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon
Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and inventive., 26 May 2011
I was pointed in the direction of this book by the Kindle forum since it was available for free.
I had just got my Kindle and read a few free, independent author books which had left me disappointed.

Well, Diary of the Displaced certainly did not disappoint!
From the first page I was gripped, until the last.
I think the author describes it as "dark fantasy". It's not quite horror, but has a very claustrophobic and menacing feel all the way through it.
There are enough mysteries and puzzles to keep you turning the page to find out what and why things are happening.

In the end it left me wanting more, and I have now bought Chasing Spirits and am looking forward to the sequel to this book.

This book definitely deserves recognition.

Page: 1 | 2