Profile for The Minstrel > Reviews

Content by The Minstrel

The Minstrel "dikmik" (UK)

AC/DC Live at River Plate [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
AC/DC Live at River Plate [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Mallet

5.0 out of 5 stars They are TNT, they are Dynamite!!!, 12 May 2011
AC/DC on absolute top form here. Boy, do they give it some!!! I've been a fan since the beginning of time when nobody I knew had heard of them.

This is a fantastic slice of a band giving it all they've got. The crowd seem half crazed and leap around the whole time adding greatly to a truly electric atmosphere. It really leaves you breathless. A huge array of cameras at the stadium capture crystal clear action from every angle with a nicely edited final product. The surround sound on my Blu-ray version is just mind blowing.

If you love AC/DC, you will love this. No doubt about it!

It is near impossible for me to pick highlights from AC/DC at River Plate, but their version of an old favourite of mine 'Let There Be Rock' is a definitive example of all that is so exciting about rock music. They go for it, grab it, wring its neck and launch it into space! Crikey!!!

Thanks guys for all the music over the years. Critics complain that it all sounds the same, but that is precisely why we love 'em.

Rock on!!!

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway (PS3)
Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway (PS3)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment..., 29 Sept. 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
If buying this for the single player game, then you will feel your money is well-spent. An excellent and challenging game, in veteran mode, that closely follows historical events.

If you are into online multiplayer, then forget it. There are no leaderboards, no scores, no ranks, no awards, no spawning - if you die, you spectate. Not my idea of fun online gaming.

As for the spectacularly destructible environments - where are they? Just fences and a few other wooden items. Hmmmmm...

Five stars for the single player, one for the online. I'll be very kind and give it three stars overall.

Rent it for the single player.

Buy Battlefield Bad Company if you haven't already. A very good single player game with great humour, excellent online play and a massively destructible world. In my opinion, one of the best games around.

Chrome, Smoke and BBQ
Chrome, Smoke and BBQ

5.0 out of 5 stars Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, 2 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Chrome, Smoke and BBQ (Audio CD)
For anyone who's heard and liked a little of ZZ Top - the Eliminator period especially, but is unfamiliar with most of their other material, then this is for you. If you love rock and blues then this box set can't fail to please. A superb mix of driving beats, slick and dirty guitars, and the magic ingredient - humour. I really love the tongue -in-cheek innuendo of their songs. To be complimented on your guitar playing by the great man himself - Jimi Hendrix - is praise indeed.

I now have all four discs on permanent repeat in my car - the perfect driving collection. Give your ears a treat and your car a boost - it will actually go a little faster!!!

Put on your cheap sunglasses, get in your old Chevrolet and go down to Mexico.

Keep `em coming guys.

The Complete 70's Replica CD Collection: 1970 - 1978
The Complete 70's Replica CD Collection: 1970 - 1978

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Sabbath - The Ozzy Years. The Best!, 11 Jun. 2005
There are times in my life when there have been defining moments in my love of music - the first time I played the Jimi Hendrix albums, Axis Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland. The emergence of overdriven guitars in the 60's, screaming feedback - I loved it. It was an exciting time.
Then in April 1970 I heard Black Sabbath play on John Peel's Sunday Show. They sounded so different to anything that I'd heard before. During the following week I visited my local record shop in the hope they'd have this new band's album - they did. I remember that day so well - so sunny and bright - in stark contrast to the doom laden vinyl I was carrying in my sweaty, teenage palms! I got home, put the record on my newly-bought, teak veneered (very fashionable at the time!) radiogram and waited expectantly. The sounds of thunder and heavy rain filled the cheery sunlight room. Then the first crashing chord hit and I was hooked. I sat totally amazed at what I was hearing. When it ended I just played it again - and again. This has always been my favourite Black Sabbath album. Whenever I play it, I'm back in April 1970 and I'm 18 again.
I bought each new album as they were released in the 70's and loved them all, but that first one is special. After Ozzy left, I stopped buying the albums - it just wasn't the same for me.
I recently, and very reluctantly, sold my entire vinyl collection to fund the purchase of another guitar and to make room for the new furniture my wife decided we needed - the latter being the prime directive (of course!). I'm now replacing the special albums with CD's and have started with this boxed set that contains all eight of the albums I had on vinyl - perfect! The fact that they are packaged in mini replicas of the originals is just right. The sound is fantastic.
To review the musical content of this collection is pointless - you either love them or loathe them. If you want a collection of Black Sabbath during the Ozzy years, this is the one to buy.
When the boxed set arrived, I just had to play the debut album first and in a different sun-filled room I sat and heard the rumblings of thunder, the rain, the first crashing chord. I was 18 again...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- Two-disc set [DVD]
Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- Two-disc set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Graham Chapman
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Toad Sexing For Beginners, 20 Mar. 2004
For me, the funniest film ever made. The only film were I know the entire script. The number of stars I give it is five, no more, no less. Six is right out! Is there actually anyone who enjoys mad comedy who hasn't seen this very silly film? If you're one of this rare breed, then where have you been? Holed-up with the Frenchies in Castle Arrrghhh. A true gem. An all time classic, a shrubbery, a witch, a Trojan Rabbit.
If you are a fan of very silly comedy and don't own this DVD, then answer me these questions three:
1. Why not?
2. What is the air speed velocity of an African Swallow?
3. Are you dead?
Buy it or go and boil your bottom, you son of a silly person.