Profile for D. Carney > Reviews

Content by D. Carney

D. Carney "MissChilli" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Beyond Evidence
Beyond Evidence

1.0 out of 5 stars predictable, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Beyond Evidence (Kindle Edition)
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

I started reading this book and I thought this is going to be predictable, but then thought maybe there maybe a twist written in by the author. No such luck! I didn't need to be a psychic to understand the relationship between the killer and the protagonists from the very start.

I felt there were a few holes in this, mainly that when Patrick had his DNA taken, surely it would have come back as him being related to the killer, but I suppose there would have been no story if the police had actually done their jobs.

Easy reading, but not a book to keep you on the edge of your seat.

ASPHYXIA
ASPHYXIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Hat Trick for Hudson, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: ASPHYXIA (Kindle Edition)
Thismay sseem such a departure for the author when you look at the front cover, but its written in the same witty way that I've come to expect from dysfunctional romance and the unholy romance author.

Lots of authors are formulaic and you know what's going to happen before it does (Dan Brown), but this author has a way of story telling and making each book fresh and even though the subject matter on sexual fetishes may not immediately appeal to some readers, I implore you to read if you want a good giggle! Hudson appears to be able to take sensitive subject matters and make them funny.

I loved the relationship of amateur sleuths Sam Greer and Damien Hand, they had me laughing out loud and the way that Hudson can write in a female voice is exceptional and I really want a "Hands off the merchandise" banner

Well done Mr Hudson, can't wait for Infallible and I have a slight smugness in that I can say, I've followed this author since the beginning and not just jumped on the band wagon.

If you love Irish wit and a good story, get your library stocked with asphyxia (and the back catalogue too)

PAGE ONE DESIGN 12 LED Flickering Rechargeable Tea Lights/Candle set, Wax-less, Flameless, Long lasting
Offered by Page One Design
Price: 34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice candles, but fiddly, 26 Jan 2013
These give off a really nice light, but I have to say they are a little fiddly to use, as the "candle" has the turn on / off switch on it, so you have to remove them all from their holders to turn them off. Not too bad if you only have a couple on at any time, but if you have all twelve, it does take a little time to switch off.

Would be great if they could be remote controlled, but the fact that they are rechargeable is a real plus and as I said, give off a really nice light.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (Unabridged)
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd
Price: 15.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 18 Oct 2012
A book written from the perspective of Budo, an imaginary friend of Max who I believe is on the autism scale. Max's father doesn't believe anything is wrong where as his mother wants to get him checked out.

Max is bullied and treated very harshly by the kids at his mainstream school, but because Max has Budo he finds he can cope with the bully that wants to kill him (a child's version of kill, which is very frightening nonetheless). Max and Budo also love Mrs Gosk one of the teachers at school who knows how to teach, don't just teach

Max eventually disappears and it is down to Budo to save him, risking his own life in the process. Can an imaginary friend who can't be seen by any human other than Max find him and bring him to safety?

A really nicely written, poignant read, dealing with issues that could seem to be cliched if not written correctly.

I wish I would have had a friend like Budo when I was growing up.

If you have kids, let them have their imaginary friends in their life and encourage them to keep them alive - I'm sure you will agree once you read the book.

Dysfunctional Romance!
Dysfunctional Romance!
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, witty, funny and I loved Barry and Sandra, 18 Oct 2012
I first heard about this book due to the author following me on twitter and me reading his bio.

It took me a while to read it as I had a huge e-library to get through, but once I did I'm glad I did. I loved it, from the prologue of Barry being conceived (done in a very funny way) to him meeting Sandra through them both avoiding cracks in the pavement to the very end and I can't wait for derick's next offering.

It's fun, witty and, despite Barry and Sandra's quirks, I really liked them and I wished Sandra was one of my friends!

Loved it, get publishing something else Mr Hudson soon

The Dukan Diet Life Plan: The Bestselling Dukan Weight-loss Programme Made Easy
The Dukan Diet Life Plan: The Bestselling Dukan Weight-loss Programme Made Easy
by Dr Pierre Dukan
Price: 18.19

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dukan book to buy, 1 Dec 2011
I started Dukan over a year ago and lost over 5 stones in a year and was really committed to the diet. Then my 40th happened,and I thought what the heck and I then went by the wayside over the last few months and have put 2 stone back on - and not because of the diet, because I started to really binge eat the wrong foods, chocolate, sweets, chips, KFC's (basically I nearly inhaled the food - but that is due to my own relationship with food rather than the failing of the diet) - I bought this book to help try and re-invigorate my mojo and I have to say, if you are thinking of doing the Dukan diet, buy this book and not the paperbacks. This is more user friendly - you can see pictures of the recipes and there looks some absolutely gorgeous stuff in there.

Last Christmas I was on the Dukan diet and coped really well and really stuck to it, so I'm not going to use it's nearly Christmas as an excuse to start the program again.

The diet works, if you are in the right headspace and if you can only afford one Dukan book, this is the one to buy in my humble opinion.

Good Luck and may I see less of you next year :-)

Genie Bra - White/Black/Nude, XLPack
Genie Bra - White/Black/Nude, XLPack
Offered by High Street TV
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 Sep 2011
Bought this after seeing it advertised on some infomercial on one of the shopping channels. Thought it might be the answer to my prayers as I've found the pretty bras in M&S don't necessarily translate well in a larger cup size, so you end up getting a bra that if your top slips down a little, it looks like a shot put sling.

Although the Genie Bra promises good support, I found it lacking and the fit wasn't really great. Got my normal dress size (14-16 - and the largest size available) and there was lots of overhang on the boobage front. Not a good look - especially as on the infomercial, they said this wouldn't happen.

If you are a biggish cup, then this bra isn't for you, but may be more suitable if you are a smallish cup size.

Back to the rock slings :-(
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2013 11:14 AM GMT

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, 14 Sep 2011
I bought this after seeing the reviews and I can say I wasn't disappointed. I really felt for the characters and it was really a chilling read. I recommended this book to a friend of mine, and she absolutely loved it, so much so, she couldn't wait to read it to see what happened, but she didn't want it to end. I was of the same opinion. The time shifts become natural quite quickly and I really felt for Cathy and her OCD, and I felt it was handled beautifully.

Congrats to the author, Elizabeth Haynes. You've written an outstanding book. I will be recommending this to any of my friends who wants a good read (and to anybody on Amazon!)

Click It, Read It, Love It
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2011 5:44 PM BST

Angelology
Angelology
by Danielle Trussoni
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Angelology (Paperback)
After reading some of the reviews on here, I decided that angelology would be my first paid Kindle Book - I had been reading Karin Slaughter and Lee Child's books back to back and wanted another page turner, where I couldn't wait to get back to the characters.

Alas, I am forcing myself to read this, I have no interests in the characters or indeed what happens to them - for all I care, the Nephilims can take over this world so long as I can finish this book. I'm not even 50% through and debating on giving up completely.

It's a shame, as the premise is good, and as I'm used to wanting to know what happens with the characters in my books, but, with this one, I'm having to force myself to continue and will find any excuse not to read it.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight Saga isn't just for teenagers - they are for life......, 29 Nov 2008
A friend of mine lent me the Twilight saga books and I was like "it's a teenage book, what would I want with these - I'm 37 for gawd's sake!" Well, I thought well at least it will be something to read to knock me to sleep. How little did I know. I have just fallen in love with these books and can't wait to cuddle up in bed and get my fix.

So, if you are above the teenage demographic that these books are designed for, don't discount them, they are an amazing read and I'm gutted I'm nearly at the end of Breaking Dawn. I would stick my neck out and say these have got to be my most favourite books and I can't wait for the film to come out in the UK.

Is it so wrong for a 37 year old to have a crush on a fictional 17 year old vampire? If so, guilty as charged.

Read and Enjoy
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2008 6:56 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2