Profile for Daren Collins > Reviews

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
Price: 6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing - enlightening, 21 Mar 2014
I was originally lent this book after personal circumstances had left me at a very low point. Within a few pages I started to feel calmer and more peaceful - it was like reading a Haynes Manual for the mind. It links in to the teachings of many religions and interprets key teachings with compelling new insights.

I've got the book on kindle now.

The Dark is Rising (Puffin Books)
The Dark is Rising (Puffin Books)
by Susan Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the film, 5 Nov 2007
As a child, 'Over Sea, Under Stone' was by far my favourite book and years later in my twenties, I went looking for it for nostagic reasons. I was pleasantly suprised to find that there were 4 other books in the series, of which the Dark is Rising is the second.

Even as an adult, I love 'The Dark is Rising', which is the pick of the series for me.

As the cold winter nights draw in, I often get this one out and re-live it.

I find myself in each scene that Susan Cooper weaves - decorating the Christmas tree with a big bustling family around, walking down the lane with Will Stanton on the winter morning he comes of age, as a blanket of newly fallen snow lays all around. I can even see the light from a working Smithy up ahead, which wasn't there before - the scene is from the past but the people seem to be from the present...

But danger is never far away, should you start feeling too cosy. As a child I used to have to leave the snug warmth of the fireside and go out into the cold, pitch black, wild, wintry night to get more coal for the fire. It was kept in an unlit shed some distance away from the house and it was a bit scary until the warm glow of the house was back in sight.
This is how the book feels.

The large Stanton family are the normalising, comforting factor in young Will's life but even they are slowly being dragged into the clutches of the Dark unless Will can find the 6 signs that he was born to do before the power of the Dark reaches it's peak (which I think is 12 days after Christmas)

Unfortunately the film, in addition to forgetting some of the main characters, forgetting that the Stantons are BRITISH and having a hammy ending, rips out the entire soul of the book by simply concentrating on "the quest", rather than the characters (who are mis-cast in the main).

So in summary, don't be put off by the film. I can't give a higher recommendation to get this book for anyone aged 10 onwards.

Life As A House [DVD] [2002]
Life As A House [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Hayden Christensen
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 2.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it and weep, 3 Jan 2004
This review is from: Life As A House [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Truly one of my all time favourite films if not the favourite. Kline and Christensen are supreme and ably supported by Scott Thomas. (The teen girl in it is damn cute too but that is not the reason to watch this film!)
The acting is brilliantly believable and more than likely you will be left in streams of tears as the credits roll and not mainly for sad reasons that you might suspect - in this respect and many others it is not a predictable film and you will be left uplifted.
If you have any soul you will love this film and if you have even just one small part of your heart left unhardened by this world, this film will find it for you!
Enjoy,