Profile for Z-Car Man > Reviews

BC5i Big Button Sim Free Senior Telephone - Black
BC5i Big Button Sim Free Senior Telephone - Black
Price: 26.37

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, 20 Feb 2013
I am no technophobe having built my own single board 6801 based computer in the early eighties and having had a mobile since the half brick analogue days. However I have now reached the age where I need glasses for reading. For me a mobile is for the phone calls and the occasional text - laptops and digital cameras doing a better job than any smart phone. When I saw this phone I thought great - I can use it on the go without popping on my glasses. Yes I could if I knew the number (fortunately I can remember all the ones I ring regularly). However once you get away from simple phone calls the phone is awkward and not totally logical. Texting is particularly slow. More than one I have had to back right out or power cycle the phone to recover. The noise it makes when being turned on and off would wake the dead as I found out when I tried to turn it off discreetly in outpatients. Apart from making calls the font is particularly large and the handbook was on the limit of my vision with reading glasses. I used the past tense as at the weekend it stopped charging after two months used and I could not be bothered. Another basic Nokia I think. It will be interesting to see how the new Fujitsu Stylistic S01 for seniors fares.

Vodafone Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband USB Modem White
Vodafone Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband USB Modem White

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive "NOT PAYG"!, 6 Sep 2011
I have been trying to find a PAYG mobile broadband deal that would serve as a back-up and on-the-go solution. Two previous dongles (to be written up later) disappointed. A friend had used Vodafone whilst waiting for the installation of a broadband/phone/TV package and no longer leading the dongle gave it to me. They said it had over 1Gb data allowance left.

I plugged in the dongle and it had almost installed the software when it decided it needed some Microsoft updates first. Bit tricky with no Internet connection. Ok I thought I have got some allowance on the two previous dongles. They had happily co-existed before but Vodafone was having none of that! So it was a case of uninstall everything. I loaded the updates, re-booted and plugged in the Vodafone dongle. It all went smoothly then asked me for a minimum of 15 top up as the data allowance had expired. Hey this is NOT PAYG. My second mobile on PAYG as opposed to contract still has 3 of the 10 top-up I brought two years ago. Under whelmed I decided to carry on. Opps different name, card, etc. After half an hour I gave up and uninstalled everything.

Overall very disappointing and three hours wasted. The worse thing it is not PAYG at all just a rolling monthly contract. If I get the energy I might complain to both Vodafone and Oftel. And the dongle? After talking with my friend smashed it and the Sim with a 2lb hammer and threw it in the bin!

Never Mind the Bollards: A road trip around England's rock & roll landmarks (Footprint Activity & Lifestyle Guide)
by Max Wooldridge
Price: 16.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Its not really about bollards!, 4 Jan 2011
After reading a review of this book I though it sounded really interesting and put it on my Christmas wish list. I am somewhat of a car buff and my sister was concerned that I was getting obsessed with cones, bollards and signage. Anyway come Christmas she told me it was delayed by the adverse weather. This was somewhat of an untruth as it had arrived and she had decided to see how sad it was. Finding it very interesting she decided she had to read it first! I got it in time for New Year!

Onto the book. It is a fascinating tour around the UK linking pop (anything from punk to rock `n' roll, and all shades in-between and outside) songs to various locations. However it does it in a way that is both interesting and informative, and makes the book un-put-downable. I defy anyone not to find something they did not know even if they area pop guru. Highly recommended! My sister has now ordered her own copy!

Car Trouble: A Childhood on Four Wheels
Car Trouble: A Childhood on Four Wheels
by Wensley Clarkson
Price: 8.41

2.0 out of 5 stars I Have Trouble With This Book, 29 July 2010
I saw this book in a bookshop when it first came out. Being of a similar age to the author and mad on cars since an early age I brought this book (at full price) and could not wait to get home to start reading it. Initially it was fine but after the first few short chapters it seemed more like a set of (very) short stories parts of which read more like fiction than fact. To make things worse the author seems to know very little about the cars of that era (OK I am a bit of an anorak) on them. His mother's Zodiac had a V6 engine about 4 years before Ford introduced them; a taxi of that era did 100 mph when the then current FX4 could barely top 60 mph - this also featured automatic locking years before it was introduced, a TR sports with a V6 engine (never made); etc; etc. I struggled through to the end but knowing I would never read it again gave it to a charity shop.

External USB Floppy Drive - Black
External USB Floppy Drive - Black
Offered by Storage Depot Ltd
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Z-Car Man, 25 Jun 2010
I needed to pull some files off F/D's that had been in storage for a few years. The company had not used F/D's of any type for a few years and my private NetBook only uses USB memory sticks; so I decided to order one of these. Worked straight away when plugged into a USB port and I can now access my old files. O/S is XP but will be trying Vista, Se7en and SuSe. Also far, far cheaper than a quote from a specialist computer shop who seemed to add a collector's item premium! Highly recommended!