Profile for Pizor > Reviews

Wicked Lovely
Wicked Lovely
by Melissa Marr

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but not as good as it could be, 17 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Wicked Lovely (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this book, but just couldn't get into it. If you want a really good book about fae, check out the series by Karen Marie Moning, the first of which is called Darkfever. For those of you who don't know, fae are fairies, but not the cute little ones in children's books. They're much more like the demons from an episode of Buffy. Wicked Lovely is well written and has a wonderful plot, but for some reason, it just didn't draw me in. Instead, I found myself skipping over a lot of text and generally skimming through it to reach the end. I'm sure it's more a matter of my taste vs a poorly written book. Instead, I strongly recommend Darkfever. That book drew me in from the very first page and kept me going right through the end.

The Necklace: A true story of 13 women, 1 diamond necklace and a fabulous idea
The Necklace: A true story of 13 women, 1 diamond necklace and a fabulous idea
by Cheryl Jarvis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best writing, but a good story nonetheless, 6 Jun. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm going to assume you already ready the plot description above, so I won't rehash that, instead I'll just give a review on the book itself. This is a very charming story, however, what all the other reviews left out was that the writing style is bordering on awful. It's written by a newspaper columnist, and unfortunately, it shows. It's written in a factual manner but with attempts at warm touches added. It doesn't work. They should've hired a fiction writer to write the true story, it would've made for a much better read. As it stands, the writing style comes across as very amateurish and simple. It is not compelling nor enjoyable, though it's still an interesting story. Maybe the best description is that it comes across as a very long article in a magazine like People or Harpers. Not my idea of fine novels, but clearly some like it.

It's a good story and if you can struggle through the writer's voice, then by all means give it a read. I, on the other hand, will be getting rid of this book as quickly as I can.

Weight Watchers 8987U Designer Precision Electronic Scale
Weight Watchers 8987U Designer Precision Electronic Scale

3.0 out of 5 stars Still not sure about this one, 26 Mar. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first I loved this scale. It looks cool. There's a switch on the back to let you switch from KG to stone to LBS. It's simple to use. You step on it quickly so it can zero itself, then you stand on it to get your weight. It has a large, clear display that's very easy to read. So why am I hesitant about giving it 5 stars? I'm just not sure how accurate it is. The first time I got on it, it was a full 7lbs heavier then my old scale! I'm sure my old scale wasn't the most accurate (that's why I tried this one), but 7lbs off seemed a bit much. So I tried it again the next day. This time there was only a 5lb difference. So i got off and then stepped back on again. Now there was only a 4lb difference between the Weight Watcher's scale and my old scale. Unfortunately I don't have another scale to compare it to. And in case you're wondering, yes, I weighed myself at the same time everyday so my weight shouldn't have varied by too much.

So overall, it has a great appearance, it's very easy to use and read. I'm just not sure how accurate it is.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2011 7:38 PM BST

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0, Full Version (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0, Full Version (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but would you expect anything less from Adobe?, 15 Jan. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lightroom is very cool. it offers a lot of features to help organize and clean up all of your digital photos before moving them into Photoshop where you might want to drastically alter them. If you already have Photoshop, you can probably get away with not buying Lightroom, but Lightroom is still worth owning.

Lightroom makes it really easy to adjust the color temperatures of your photos. So what does that mean? I take a lot of photos indoors, so often the color comes out sort of yellowish. With one mouse click, the auto white balance corrects it perfectly almost everytime. Now a lot of programs have this feature, but Lightroom makes it the easiest to adjust and gets it perfectly almost everytime (sometimes it take 2 mouse clicks instead of just one).

Lightroom also offers easy to make slideshows. I love everything abut this option except it doesn't really offer the Ken Burns effect, unless I just can't figure out how to do it.

Like all Adobe professional level programs, Lightroom takes some time getting used to (which I'm still doing). The help section has links to excellent online videos that walk you step by step lots of the different features. All in all, Lightroom is just as good as you'd expect it to be, though not as intuitive as a more amateur program might be. Saying that, it isn't as overwhelming as trying Photoshop for the first time. If you have thousands of digital photos like I have, Lightroom will certainly help you organize them and clean them up so they're looking their best.

Naruto The Movie 2: Legend Of The Stone Of Gelel [DVD]
Naruto The Movie 2: Legend Of The Stone Of Gelel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hirotsugu Kawasaki

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 29 Dec. 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's been awhile since I've watched any anime, but Naruto The Movie 2 brought it all back to me. It has all of the standard magical ninja effects, bad background music and crazy teenagers who save the world. But most of all, it has a great storyline. The animation is good, but not great, but the storyline is intriguing.

Without giving the plot away,the movie is about a man trying to create a utopian society, and of course we all know the problem with that. Naruto The Movie 2 brings it all together in classic anime style.

Superpowers for Parents: The Psychology of Great Parenting and Happy Children
Superpowers for Parents: The Psychology of Great Parenting and Happy Children
by Dr Stephen Briers

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good child psych book, 23 Oct. 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I usually don't like reading psychology books, but this one is pretty good. Sometimes it gets a bit heavy and could probably use a few more examples, but all in all it reads very well. It definitely does not talk down to the reader, if anything it may come across as a bit technical, but usually the author clears any confusion up fairly quickly. The other thing I like about the book is that it has an open mind with the advice it doles out. it is not a Gina Ford book that tells you what you must and mustn't do, instead it offers insight to how a child might think, and in turn, how you might adjust you're own thinking to adapt to the situation.

If you have kids of any age, you may find this book comes in handy. It takes you to the step beyond the books like What to Expect with your Toddler.

The Mannsfield 12 [DVD]
The Mannsfield 12 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Todd

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another prison movie, 25 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The Mannsfield 12 [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First let me say I'm not a huge fan of prison films to begin with, but my husband is. Not even he liked this one. It seemed to be more of the same. It didn't bring anything new to the genre. It was slow to watch, a lot of characters to remember, a lot of info with each character, but yet nothing stood out. I would say give this film a miss.

We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A to Z of All Things British
We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A to Z of All Things British
by Iain Aitch

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny but not for someone fresh off the boat, 26 Aug. 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We're British, Innit reads like a conversation with a London cabbie. The words chosen to define are rather extensive (everything from the obvious bangers and mash to the Carry On films), but the author, in my opinion, uses to many local references for this guide to be helpful to tourists or expats. The author's sense of humour also colours the definitions heavily. I expected this to be more like a dictionary with factual, non-biased information. I couldn't have been more wrong. It's very much a case of the author's definition, hence my original comment of it reading like a conversation with a cabbie.

It's a fun read but not for the novice. It would be more appreciated and better understood by someone who's been in the country for awhile, if not a native all together.

Mermaid Magic Fizz (colours may vary)
Mermaid Magic Fizz (colours may vary)
Offered by 24x7 Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 year old LOVES these, 10 Aug. 2008
My daughter's friend brought her mermaid over during a playdate. then my daughter asked for one. So of course I bought two just in case she liked them. Thank god I did, otherwise I would've been in a lot of trouble. My daughter was so excited when the mermaid broke through. She carried her mermaid, Lilly, everywhere she went. The next night, she unveiled her second mermaid. My daughter absolutely loves these.

So what are they? If you've ever shopped at Lush, they're the same as bath ballistics. In this case, it's a chalky lump in the shape of a clam shell. When you put it in water, the chalky bit foams away revealing a small plastic mermaid. The only down side is the ballistic itself doesn't have any bath oils in it, but my daughter didn't seem to mind. As for the mermaid, it's the perfect size to fit in a little girl's pocket (and too small for a child under 3). It's also a good quality solid piece of plastic with nice details and a good paint job. Incidentally, they change color when moved from cold to warm water.

Dog Island (Wii)
Dog Island (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

1.0 out of 5 stars this game is horrible!, 9 Aug. 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dog Island (Wii) (Video Game)
I bought this for my 4 year old who is very good with most wii games. We wanted one of those dog games where you can customize and train your dog, but this certainly wasn't it.

This game has so much text in it, I had to read everything for my daughter. That wouldn't be bad if it helped move the plot along, but most of the text was completely pointless and slowed the game play down to a crawl. As for the game play - there is none. You pick your dog and then you read hundreds of lines of text just to learn that you need to find one other dog 3 houses away. Then you read more text to learn that you have one simple task to do, and so on. When there is a task, my daughter enjoyed it, but it felt like there was hours of reading for every simple task you had to complete.

This game reminds me more of a project a student wrote in college then something that is for sale commercially. Without a doubt, the worst video game we've ever bought. I would give it zero stars if I could. Save your money and buy something else...anything else would be better.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2009 8:18 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6