Profile for Leanne Bell > Reviews

Content by Leanne Bell

Leanne Bell (Canterbury)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Plain Fame (The Plain Fame Trilogy Book 1)
Plain Fame (The Plain Fame Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Torn :-/, 7 May 2014
I was torn with this one. On one hand I loved the romance but on the other I found myself irritated, which is a shame because I loved the Whoopie Pie sister books and I love this author's writing usually.

It started off promising and to me didn't start going wrong until Alejandro and Amanda got back to Pennsylvania. The main issue I had was that a lot of things were repeated about the characters pasts and the area and Amish life style, and I don't mean once or twice. If I'm told something in a book I don't need to be told three or four times. I get the Amish are plain, and I get that Alejandro is Cuban, I didn't need to know multiple times.

The other thing that upset me was the same problem I come across when I do come across a problem in a religious book; the double standards. I can't say what without spoiling it. But I thought religion was about community, sticking together and helping each other. NOT about abandoning one of your own because other people get upset and annoyed. I'm sorry but that disgusted me.

What I can say is I loved the romance. I loved the chemistry between Amanda and Alejandro and her ability to understand and not judge him for his past. I loved Amanda's open-mindedness and I will conclude with this: If the rest of the world were as open-minded as Amanda the world would be a much brighter place.

I'm pretty conflicted after this book. But I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the series

Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends)
Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends)
by Kelley Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic epic fantasy!, 7 May 2014
There's been a lot of lacklustre reviews for this book, some claiming they prefer Kelley's adult writing, others claiming that they just couldn't get away with the High Fantasy genre.
Personally, I loved it! It made a refreshing change to her usual women of the other world and darkest powers books (as much as I love them!)

The world building is epic and I could picture the wastes, the village, the evil creatures and the events as they happened and it creeped me out no end. This may be billed as Teen but I hold to that very loosely, it's very disgusting at times and the sense of peril and horror will give some people out there nightmares. I've read a lot of books with scary creatures but those Shadow Stalkers will stalk my nightmares (don't even get me started on the giant worms!)

The two sisters, though twins, are as different as can be in all the ways that matter and their relationships with the two guys, Ronan and Gavril, was very well fleshed out, though in true Armstrong style we are left with a cliffhanger with lives on the line.

I'm interested to see where this goes and this is my new favourite fantasy series. Well done kelley!

All My Friends Are Dead
All My Friends Are Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!, 5 May 2014
Funny. Simply put. But with a nice little passage at the end that gives the book it's point. Love the drawings. Love the one liners. Love love love it! Will be reading 'All my friends are still dead'

Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy Book 3)
Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally incredible, 1 May 2014
wow. I laughed. I cried (a lot) and I cheered too! This was everything I hoped it would be and a lot more to. Anna and Kai go from strength to strength in this instalment and their love knows no bounds.
Such a thrilling and inspirational book and not anything like any air-headed paranormal romances out there.

There is so much more meaning to this book than a lot of others in it's genre and though the part before the end wrenched my heart out and had me in tears, the actual ending more than made up for it. My god. This was well worth the wait.

I'm not gonna post any spoilers so I'll not say much more on here but there are numerous twists, turns and jaw dropping moments. How on earth is Wendy gonna top this?

The Fearless
The Fearless

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing :), 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Fearless (Kindle Edition)
Wow. this is darker and much more sinister than ACID but I loved every second of it. The idea of emotionless, zombie like creatures is by no means original but this has a twist...the majority of the fearless are like zombies with brains and on steroids (super strong).

I haven't read such pure dystopian escapism in a while and the two main characters; Cass and Myo were amazing and it was easy relate to them especially with the view point alteration.

I was left stunned by Sol's character though. I did not see that twist regarding him coming at all. Talk about a dark horse. Hats off to Emma for writing such a twisted and convoluted character, and boy was he dark. I was reading this on the train back from Sunderland and I have to admit I exclaimed rather loudly near the end of the book. Got a few odd looks im sure.

The ending was brilliant. Yes, I'm sure some people will hate it. But I think it's sudden abruptness was perfect for the harsh uncertain landscape the book is set in. A picture perfect ending would have sucked. Anyway amazing, amazing book.

Neptune's Tears (Timedance) (A Timedance Novel)
Neptune's Tears (Timedance) (A Timedance Novel)
by Susan Waggoner

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning <3, 21 April 2014
I was a bit concerned about the middling rating for this but since I stumbled on this at my local library decided that I'd give it a read since it's been on my to-read list forever.

I loved it! Yes, I get it, the story is fast paced and a lot seems to happen but personally sometimes that's best, you can really waffle on too much in a book and waffle is what Susan certainly doesn't do (thank god!)
Pay attention to the time that passes between chapters and events and it makes so much more sense.

The love story in this was beautiful and determined. A good old fashioned 'love conquers all' tale. And it's been ages since I read a good one of those. Add in the sci-fi, the futuristic Britain, deaths, bombings, empaths, diviners and sexy David and you have an amazing novel.

Seriously, there was not one character that I didn't feel a connection with by the end and the author does it in just over 200 pages. Now I've read books 500 pages and haven't connected with the characters. So reserve judgement, open your mind and get swept away in this gorgeous, imaginative and futuristic novel with a hell of a twist at the end :)

Rip Tide (Dark Life)
Rip Tide (Dark Life)
by Kat Falls

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just Wow, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Rip Tide (Dark Life) (Paperback)
I was a bit worried about reading this because it had been so long since I'd read Dark Life and I was sure I'd have forgotten everything.
I needn't had worried. Dark Life's world was so unique and mesmerising it was like riding a bike and it all came back to me really easily.

Rip Tide picks up a little while after the end of Dark Life. Gemma is living at the trade station because she can't bear to be underwater too much because it makes her panic. Ty's family are negotiating trade relations with the Surf's and it's not long before the whole thing goes belly up and the novel turns into a hostage, kidnap, adventure plot featuring intrigue, murder and romance! Wow!

The best part is that Ty and Gemma's relationship is perfectly done. It's not overbearing and it doesn't eclipse the main storyline which I found amazing. I was also floored by the whole political side of the world building, now normally this would bore me too death (politics do, alas) but I was totally fascinated. Treaties, negotiations and laws also combined to make a complex and very unfair system (similar to our own lovely UK if you want my opinion) that seemed to benefit very few because of the way it was done. I was even more thrilled to see changes happen by the end.

I think there's a lot to learn from this book. Morals to take away and lessons. Maybe a few high-up political people should read this and apply a few policies about change (oh hang on, they probably won't grasp it. they're too dumb!)
Anyway, digressing again.

I loved the deep sea adventure, the fights, the laughter, the sealife and the unique concepts (such as fighting salt water crocodiles and boxing matches on the raft).
The only thing that upset me a little is I would have liked Shade to have been a bit more, well nice, I get he helped, but in the end I really didn't think much of him.

So is this a cliché book with a happily ever after? I'l leave you to decide that for yourself. For me it wasn't cliché at all. It had a lot of happy yes, but not before a lot of struggle, fear and some amazing adventure. Kat Falls, you are a legend.

The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus Book 4)
The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus Book 4)
by Rick Riordan

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing., 20 April 2014
Wow. I can't even put into words how I feel about this book. But I gotta try. Firstly, why does Rick do this to his readers? Leave us hanging on the edge waiting for the next instalment? I love love Percy Jackson and I now can't wait for the blood of Olympus so that I can find out the conclusion.

The characters were just as amazing as I remember from the previous books and though in most cases of multiple view points I get confused, in this case I didn't once, this is because each characters voice is wonderfully unique (unlike some books where you forget from who's perspective you're reading from).

Tartarus scared the crap out of me. I mean if that's hell then I seriously have to some stuff to make up for so I don't go there :-p lol In all seriousness, the descriptions and world building for Tartarus will give me nightmares for months and the monsters down there were truly terrifying. As an adult that's saying something, I'm pretty sure any teens reading this will be a bit freaked. Or not. Teens today are kinda hardcore. It might just be me as a wimpy adult.

The character who drew me in the most in this adventure was probably Nico, oddly enough. I found out some stuff about him I didn't realise and it was great to see beneath his usual mysterious and impenetrable outer shell. Though my all time favourite will always be Percy himself. He's brave, yet flawed and such the perfect guy (and if he had a 20 something year old brother with all those qualities I'd totally be in there!).

Anyway, I digress. Excellent adventure, witty, devastating, emotional, heartbreaking and ultimately amazing! I swear Mr Riordan better not ever retire from writing. He's awesome. Enough said.

Sweet Damage
Sweet Damage

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, calculating and yet romantic, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Sweet Damage (Kindle Edition)
You think I'd learn after reading Beautiful Malice that I would be thoroughly creeped out by one of Miss James' books, but nope, I can't resist the lure of what I will know will be a good read.

Having said that, it wasn't as devastating as Beautiful Malice, which I was actually thankful for. I don't think I could have stood the trauma.
That said, on a scale of one to ten on the creep factor it still hit a nine and I was horrified by the twists and turns even if all the loose ends were wrapped up.

This was an amazing and absorbing read and has left me once again stunned by the depths to which people will sink. And boy can they be calculating and evil. I mean. really? Why?

I can't say much more without posting severe spoilers that will ruin the book. If your looking for a thriller, mystery and romance all rolled into one then this is definitely the book for you. Don't get to comfortable though because you will end up the edge of your seat!

Deception (Haunting Emma)
Deception (Haunting Emma)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly good!, 10 April 2014
I totally loved this book. It was exactly what I needed; some ghostly escapism from real life. Emma made an incredible heroine and though her moods were a bit bratty at times, I have to admit I'd probably behave no different in her position. She is placed in a horrible position and is hurt by a lot of people, in-fact I'd probably have curled up and cried.

The setting, atmosphere, characters and creepy bad guy were all amazingly written and built up perfectly. I never struggled to imagine a single character or place and I was stunned by the twists the story took. I am very impressed with Miss Nichols fearlessness with what happens to her characters.

The ending left me wanting more and I hope to get to read book two very soon. Emma's world is one I want to keep visiting for a while yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20