Profile for Leanne Bell > Reviews

Content by Leanne Bell

Leanne Bell (Canterbury)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5)
The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5)
Price: 4.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!!!, 2 Nov 2012
Loved, loved, loved this! I fan girl screamed when I got approved to review this on Netgalley. It was great seeing everything from Ethan's perspective and just as great seeing what had become of Meghan and Ash in the years that they've been in the Iron Realm.

The Lost Prince doesn't just revisit the ordinary Fey and the Iron Fey but also draws on the Forgotten Fey that were mentioned in The Iron Knight, something I was very intrigued about at the time. The plot unravels pretty fast and I was reading furiously fast towards the end of the book just to find out what happens.
Ethan proved to be a charming, infuriating, fascinating (and hot) protagonist and when teamed with the 'take no crap' Kenzie, they made a great team and though I did suspect that there was something Kenzie was hiding from the beginning, I was still surprised when I found out what it was.
I was also left feeling deeply sorry for Ethan with everything he had gone through because of his ability to see the Fey and try as he might to avoid them he ends up smack in the middle of trouble all over again. I also however, admire how resilient he is without ever truly losing touch with his emotions...oddly enough he reminded me of a certain Winter Prince from the Iron Fey series. :)

This review wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention Keirran...if you don't remember the echoes of that name from The Iron Knight from when Ash was being tested then it will certainly mean something to you by the end of the book. As for what he does and what happens to him, I guess that will have to wait until the next book.

Speaking of the end of the book, I was pretty much screaming in frustration that I have to wait ages for the next book. But hey, I'm sure It'll be worth the wait and I can't wait to find out what happens to everyone. I can't write with much more detail because I don't want to spoil anything. But Iron Fey fans: Go forth and read this when it's released! Also, Grimalkin is in it and Puck!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Power of Five: Oblivion
The Power of Five: Oblivion
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sad it's all over. Brilliant ending though :), 2 Nov 2012
Wow. Well I'm not even sure where to begin with this book. I waited years to read this and though I sort of guessed part of the ending correctly, it was no less of a shock when it happened. I bawled my eyes out and I felt immensely sad for two characters in particular though there was a happier epilogue to soften the blow.
It was a little disconcerting at first, what with the jumping between Jamie/Holly, Matt/Lohan, Pedro/Scott and Scarlett/Richard and it took some serious getting used too, and that was just the gatekeepers and there companions. There were also some POV shifts to those behind the enemy lines too, but by the end these all came together brilliantly with no loose ends.

The research done for this book must have been immense because, whether the characters were in Rome, Naples, Brazil, Cairo or Antarctica, the descriptions were vivid and very easy to picture. Oblivion was especially well planned out; I could almost feel the empty coldness in the Old One's fortress while I was reading and imagine the swarms of enemy soldiers in the final battle.

Was I happy with the twists and turns? I'd say I was even if I would personally have preferred a happier ending for all involved. Poor Richard is all I have to say, I really felt for that man, and I wouldn't have wished what he was forced to do on any one (lets just say the mystery of the Inca's Knife is revealed). Having said that it wasn't doom and gloom all the way to the end and I have to admit if there was one character I was proud of it was Matt. He proved himself to be strong and determined despite being weighed down with knowledge he should never have had to carry. Scott also impressed me, though I wanted to slap him on several occasions near the middle of the book.

When it came to the epilogue I was hoping for some relief or maybe just some hope, which is actually what I got. I loved the epilogue and it did provide some sort of closure and I shed a few happy tears whilst reading it, and it was also nice to have a bit more explanation of the dream world too.
All in all I was very impressed with the ending to this series. it was an emotional, frightening and thrilling ride and i'm sure certain scenes from this book will haunt me for a very long time (and no, I'm not exaggerating). I don't know how Horowitz will match this with what he writes next but I hope he gives it a good go.

Bitten: Number 1 in series (Otherworld)
Bitten: Number 1 in series (Otherworld)
by Kelley Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitten, 15 July 2012
This book is smart, funny, will set your pulse racing and is one amazing read i won't forget in a hurry. This book managed to blend in all the things i love such as fantasy, romance, action, adventure and really cool supernatural beings, specifically werewolves!

To make this book even more appealing, it takes the form of a mystery part way through with the pack having to investigate killings among their own kind.

Elena, as a central character, is an interesting person to see the story through. Her independant and kick-ass attitude is refreshing among so many 'damsels in distress' that exist in a lot novels today (damsel in distress she definately isn't!). But at the same time we get to see her softer side as she tries to make choices relating to her future and to forgive the man who turned her into a werewolf.

The Declaration
The Declaration
by Gemma Malley

4.0 out of 5 stars The Declaration, 15 July 2012
This review is from: The Declaration (Paperback)
I read this a while ago, and it paints a rather negative view of the future, should we find a way to live forever.
Lets face it, a lot of people find the subject of death rather daunting, and so it follows therefore that someone would invent a way to stop it, and this is the main premise of this book.

The way in which the 'Surplus' children are treated in diabolical to say the least and i'd like to think that things would never come to that. The idea behind the story is that if you choose not to have children then you can take the drug that stops you dying, indoing so you have to sign the decleration.
Any parents that do have children whilst taking the longevity drug is arrested and the child locked up with the other surplus children.

Anna, the main character is one of these and at the beginning she believes all the lies she's been told, but her mind starts to change when a new boy turns up and starts telling her some rather frightening truths...

All in all this is a fantastic read which can be rather hauting at times if you seriously consider the consequences of a world where no one dies.
The one message that is sent again and again (in different ways) is that people are not meant to be immortal, things do come to an end and that ultimately life will go on, it sounds very tacky, but really it isn't.
This is a powerful and emotional read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2012 2:46 PM BST

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
by James Patterson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The Angel Experiment, 15 July 2012
I totally love this book! I'm one of those people who just aren't book snobs and love a bit of escapism, even when the story might seem a bit fantastic for some people.

Max and the flock are everything i wish i'd been as a teen, strong, independent and able to stick up for myself (which thankfully i can now do!) But among the amazing skills and super-charged abilities the characters' humanity is still evidently clear.

This story will take you on a breathtaking, emotional and action packed adventure with a group of winged children you will grow to love. For those who, like me, like reading about the 'friends becomming more than friends' storylines, there's also a bit of that to, but not so much to eclipse the main story.

The ending will leave you hooked and wanting to read the next in the series as soon as you finish this one. Give them a go, you won't be disappointed.

Strange Angels
Strange Angels
by Lili St Crow
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange Angels, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Strange Angels (Paperback)
So first thoughts were, "ooooo that sounds interesting, could be good." Having read it now, i have to revise my opnion to say that it's very very good among many other things.
Dru is sixteen and has been moving around the country with her father hunting down some of the worst possible things in existence, some of which i'd heard of and others were completely new (and capable of giving the strongest people nightmares).

I found Dru a very complex yet likeable character, and found her reaction to the situations she ends up in understandable. In a lot of books, you get a heroine who just takes everything in her stride, getting past it and moving on. It was a welcome relief to find Dru behaving as most normal people would; crying, panicking and struggling to think clearly, as opposed to knowing exactly what to do. I found this made her easier to relate to, and gave the story a sense of realism that a lot of fantasies don't achieve.

On the horror side of things, this book can be truly terrifying with rather vivid descriptions. For example, the chapters in the mall with the werwulf and the flaming dog that attacks her, is so well imagined, it actually scared me.

There are only two criticisms (more observations really) i can make about this book, the first being that the story moves so fast at times, i found it hard to keep up, having to check back to make sure i understood. The second criticism is related to the first, in the fact that some of the events happen in such a way they aren't clear so it takes a few minutes to grasp what happened. There is literally no time for glancing away or there's a risk of losing track of the story.

Other than that though, i loved this book, and i really didn't mind flicking back to check things, it's awesome, action packed and i can't wait to read Betrayals!

The Summer of Shambles (Ondine)
The Summer of Shambles (Ondine)
by Ebony McKenna
Price: 5.35

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm gonna kiss a few ferrets in the hopes of finding a gorgeous guy :), 15 July 2012
Really, this is one of the best and funniest books i have ever read!
Being a fan of fairy tales in general i liked the sound of one that focuses on a scottish ferret and a young girl who gets sent to 'Psychic Summercamp' and falls in love with previously mentiones ferret, who is in fact a rather gorgeous man.

Honesty, if your a sceptic person with no imagination please put your reservations aside and give this a go.
Every other line will have you laughing, especially Hamish (the ferret), and his growing relationship with Ondine is wonderful to read about, it really captures the emotions (and embarrasments) of first love.

I also loved the Scottish language that was used, was absolutely brilliant, and it had me almost crying with laughter.
So really, don't be a bampot, give this absolutely fantastic book a read, you won't regret it.

(By the way, Bampot is scottish for a silly person lol)

The Enemy
The Enemy
by Charlie Higson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely sick...but awesome!, 15 July 2012
This review is from: The Enemy (Paperback)
I'm not quite sure how to review this because i loved it so much, and those books are always the hardest to write about whichever way you look at it.

First things first, as a face value zombie horror it works well, and it did the job of scaring the crap out of me and creeping me out, both in equal measure. It's been a while since i've felt genuine terror from reading a book, so for that Higson deserves to be congratulated. BUT, there is so much more to this book and it is that makes it so amazing.

The characters are varied and are related to in such a way you can't help but feel for them, even the ones that you really think you should hate (you'll understand what i mean when you read it). Unlike a lot of writers, Higson is not afraid to kill any of his characters and this makes the story all that more realistic. At some points i found myself so attached to some of them that when they died i felt pretty sad, and at one point found myself in tears.
Despite the fighting and the violence, the more difficult issues are handled sensitively and with humanity and a way that really makes you care.

With regards to the title of the book, during the first 10 or so chapters the obvious 'enemy' are the grown-ups, but the lines become blurred as the children quickly realise that enemies come in different shapes and sizes and it becomes clear that the 'enemy of your enemy' is not always your friend.

I can't say anymore without spoiling it, but this is one of the most revealing, emotional and action-packed books i've ever read. I can't wait until the next in the series

Wintercraft
Wintercraft
by Jenna Burtenshaw
Price: 6.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Wintercraft, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Wintercraft (Paperback)
I really really loved this book, the story was original and the characters were absolutely fantastic to read about.
In summary, the plot appears to mainly revolve around the characters of Kate and Silas. Kate is one of the skilled who can see into the Veil and Silas, at least at first glance, appears to be the classic anti-hero who turns everything upside down for Kate.
As the story progresses though, it becomes obvious that there are other people at work who want Kate's extraordinary abilities for themselves. And is Silas really as evil as he makes out?
Fast paced, fun, sensitive and incredibly exciting, this is one book i won't be forgetting in a hurry. I really hope Burtenshaw writes more about Kate and Co!

The Glass Swallow
The Glass Swallow
by Julia Golding
Price: 5.26

5.0 out of 5 stars The Glass Swallow, 15 July 2012
This review is from: The Glass Swallow (Paperback)
Despite the slow start, i found this a heart-warming and truly charming read. The first 30 pages or so were a bit descriptive and not much happened, except for a bit of scene setting, but then everything kicked off.

Rain, a glassmakers' daughter, is forbidden to design and make glass because of the simple fact that she's a woman, and the glass makers guild is ridiculously sexist.
However, Rain has secretly been designing her fathers glass for a few years, and when the distant land of Magharna asks her father to design some glass for them, it is Rain that goes along with one of her cousins in order to design the glass windows.
But not everything goes according to plan and Rain finds herself stranded in a rather unfriendly country.

At the same time that she arrives and falls into danger, Peri, a young scavenger and falconer rescues her from the bandits who try to kidnap her, and from there, their paths become entwined. But things aren't made easy for them, as the country begins to fall apart around them.

What struck me the most whilst reading this, was the realism of the situation the characters end up in. The social class system is something that at first appears to be the thing that will keep Peri and Rain apart, but infact it is the crash of the country and economy that becomes the major issue of the novel.
Considering the last few years in which we've lived with the recession, at first i admit, on reading about a country falling apart economically, i initially thought 'oh no, i don't want to read about a recession' but actually it was a story more of hope than despair as one girl attempts to put a failing country back together again, with the help of the few people who haven't ran for the hills (so to speak).

Surviving a bandit attack, then being left in a country where she barely knows the language, and then attempting to save the country that gave her a less than warm welcome, i found extremelly inspiring and very brave to say the least, and for this alone i found it easy to warm to Rain.
With regards to peri, my opinion was a bit hit and miss, because quite simply he had moments that i like to call 'moments of idiocy' in which he does stupid things (such as shooting a friend, even if it was accidentally). And yes, Rain had her moments as well, but hers just didn't seem to be as stupid, more brave than anything else.
Having said that, I still loved them both. Peri was charming, sweet and protective and Rain was self-less, caring and very resillient to hardship.

The ending, in one word, is beautiful in more ways than one. A theme, what with all the stunning glass windows, is repeated throughout the novel. To summarise, this story is a beautiful love story with an artistic twist and a perfectly heartwarming and stunning ending.
Fans of Dragonfly by the same author will also be pleased at the appearence of some familar faces. Superb!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16