Profile for Leanne Bell > Reviews

Content by Leanne Bell

Leanne Bell (Canterbury)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Love & the Zombie Apocalypse (Zombie Apocalypse Trilogy Book 1)
Love & the Zombie Apocalypse (Zombie Apocalypse Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie-tastic and romantic...but not too much soppyness!, 7 Nov. 2014
I don't review as much as I used to since I went back to work but I feel in the case of this book that I really should. Some authors really deserve to be shouted about, and this is one of them.

I'll start by saying that I had never heard of the author before, at all, it was the gory heart that drew me in (so what? I'm a weirdo and it stood out). I love creepy, gory books about zombies and that picture coupled with the title really made me take a chance.

It often amazes me how some authors get more famous or well known than other, especially since Bellingeri is one of those authors who manages to write a dark, twisted and scary story but with a humorous edge to it.
I loved the characters (apart from lindsay lol) and the romance between Rachel and Cage, though very perfectly written, did not eclipse the terror of the main zombie theme.

I think more people should read this book. It's amazing. I counted one mistype in the whole book. one! This is one well-written and one well-edited book . The plot is absorbing, funny, tragic, romantic and just damn well gory in all the right places. And I challenge anyone not to like Nicky, that guy is a legend!

The 100 (The Hundred series)
The 100 (The Hundred series)

3.0 out of 5 stars erm, not sure, 7 Oct. 2014
Ok, so initially I liked this book. I wasn't annoyed with the multiple perspectives or some of the drastic dystopian laws or even the world building. These things were brilliant. So why do you ask, did I give this three stars? Simply put the characters are selfish deluded idiots for the most part. I get it I really do that being in love makes you do dumb things (hell, I've been there, I have) but these people take the cake, and the ice-cream and the chocolate sauce with a side of biscuits!

The most confusing thing is there is an element of selflessness intertwined with the selfishness Like when (view spoiler) I mean I get why she did it, but it was cruel, even if the other guy was a douche.

By the end the only characters I gave a crap about were Bellamy and Clarke mainly because there selfless actions were selfless completely, no selfishness and I connected most with these two characters because they were by far the most relatable in a humans sense.

The dystopian plot itself though was amazing. I liked the idea of a recovered earth and the experiences that the 100 feel when they get there. Like the first time they feel rain or feel gravity for the first time. I loved the cliffhanger too and despite my anguish at the characters I will read the sequel in the hopes the characters learn a it from their mistakes *rolls eyes doubtfully*

My other issue is nothing to do with the book but its adaptation to TV I hope this was meant to be loosely based on the book because according to my sister there's a main character missing. facepalm.

Unmade (Lynburn Legacy Book 3)
Unmade (Lynburn Legacy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, tragic and a wonderful end to the series, 7 Oct. 2014
This couldn't have ended the series more perfectly if Sarah had tried. Though I feel like I've been through the emotional wringer and like someones shot my soul to pieces with a magical shotgun. But hey, it was worth it.

I swear I cried myself dry at one part in particular, and I mean full on sobbing, not just a few tears escaping. I sounded like I was having a breakdown!
On the flip side of this I was laughing out loud for a lot of the book too, because the dialogue between Kami, Jared, Ash and Co was so bloody funny!
I can't write too much for fear of posting spoilers but it was an amazing ending and I wasn't disappointed.

Miss Brennan has an amazing talent for writing funny, dramatic, heart-wrenching and beautiful stories that stay with you long after the final page has been turned. I can't wait to discover what she brings out next.

Virgin
Virgin

4.0 out of 5 stars funny but true!, 17 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Virgin (Kindle Edition)
This book is hilarious. In some chapters I was laughing out loud and in others I was cringing because I’d been through similar scenarios myself.

The only reason this book lost a star was due to some clashing issues I had with the characters. Mainly Ellie.
For the most part she was nice but I found her a complete cow at times, and I sometimes found it hard to feel sorry for her or relate to her, but that was the limit of my gripes. This was only partly because I wanted to scream at her how daft she was being. I was still a Virgin at 21 (yeh I don’t care who knows) and so what? I wasn’t the only one.

The story itself was one of the funniest things I have ever read. I laughed out loud on several occasions, my favourite being a close run between the blow job learning scene and the bathtub incident near the beginning of the book.
I also absolutely loved Paul and Emma and the Vlog idea, it was pure genius. On a more serious note, I wish this had been around when I was a teen. I mean I learned a few bits from this and I’m now 27. For example, I did not know that there were different types of Brazilian Wax. So least I know what to ask for if I ever get the bizarre urge to do it.

The main message in this book is to accept who you are though, and if you don’t want to do certain things it’s fine. Just because everyone else is out popping there cherry with every Tom, Dick and Harry, it doesn't mean you have to.
I think this could be a good book for teens to read as part of Sex Ed because at least then if some of them make the choice to have sex they will do so more informed.
Overall, though this is a light funny read, there are some serious issues dealt with in a fun, humorous way that I feel will appeal to teens and adults alike.

Magisterium: The Iron Trial (Magisterium Series Book 1)
Magisterium: The Iron Trial (Magisterium Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter comparisons are present throughout but overall this won me over with an original twist, 10 Sept. 2014
I was conflicted when it came to rating this. Part of me really wanted to drop my rating to 2/3 stars because of the similarities to the Harry Potter series. And when I say similarities I mean I thought on multiple occasions: 'I'm sure I read that in harry potter'. There are so many elements the same as well; the magical powers, the school, the three friends, the secrets hidden down corridors and caves and one big bad evil person (with a dodgy name, I might add). You may then be wondering why it got four stars? Simply put this book in it's own way managed to twist into it's own original and weird story that I have come to love from both of these authors.

I can't post spoilers and say what made it so different by the end as it will spoil the book, but needed less to say by the end of the book I was asking myself questions about good and evil, the soul and all sorts of other deep things you wouldn't catch me thinking about this early on in the day. Not to mention i'm curious as to what happens to the Callum, Tamara and Aaron next, because this isn't a clear cut good versus evil story. And who is the true enemy in this? I haven't got a clue really but I'm sure going to read the next book because this is bizarre and it made my brain work in a rather complex and good way.

Bring on book 2.

The 100 Society
The 100 Society

5.0 out of 5 stars sinister and heart-stopping thriller, 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The 100 Society (Kindle Edition)
Wow. It's been a while that I've read such an all-consuming thriller. I just kept reading and before I knew it I'd reached the end. I'm more of a fantasy genre girl but this peaked my interest with it's creepy cover. (proof that sometimes you can judge a book by its cover!)

I was enthralled by this from beginning to end, constantly guessing who was responsible for the things happening. Trying to fathom who the guilty party could be. I never suspected it once. That's the mark of a good book.

The events are tragic and not for the faint hearted. I can't write much really because otherwise it will spoil the ending and most of the plot. But needless to say this is a one who loves a good thriller/mystery with a very dark twist.

I was also totally sold on the concept of tagging 100 different places. Genius idea, though after reading this i'm kinda glad I never indulged in graffiti art. Oh well, maybe in another life.

Creepy, intelligent and mindblowing. full marks.

Lockwood & Co: The Whispering Skull: Book 2
Lockwood & Co: The Whispering Skull: Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, scary and truly epic, 3 Sept. 2014
Ah the only downside to having read this through Netgalley is that I have to wait even longer for book three. That ending is going to bug me for months so I'm begging you Mr Stroud, please please get book three out soon!

Anyway, this book is amazing and just as good as it's predeccesor, which is rare. Most sequels struggle to hit the same level as amazingness as the first in a series, but this one does just brilliantly.

We see the progression of Lucy, Lockwood's and George's friendship as the series progresses, as people open up a bit more and I was glad to learn a lot more about Lockwood (although a lot of his past is still shrouded).
I mean this with the utmost respect when I say Lockwood reminds me of the character Skulduggery from Derek Landy's books. I don't mean in the sense that Lockwood is thin as a rail, but in there mysterious aura and tone of humor. I'm interested to see where the relationship between Lockwood, George and Lucy goes from here especially with the reveal at the end.

I liked the mystery in this book a lot too. It kept me on the edge of my seat and guessing all the time. The whispering skull mystery had me very creeped out and I really want to know more about these Type 3 entities. As for the creepy mirror? Don't even get me started. I'm surprised I did't have nightmares.

Is the book funny? Very much so. I've never known characters in a book make so many jokes in the face of death. This is another of those books I will put in the category 'Do not read on the bus unless you want to be put in a lunatic asylum for laughing to yourself' (it's a very long winded title, i'm trying to shorten it)

To summarise: Loved it. Hurry up book three!

Mary: The Summoning (Bloody Mary)
Mary: The Summoning (Bloody Mary)
by Hillary Monahan

5.0 out of 5 stars spooky and amazing, 3 Sept. 2014
Woah. I read this in a day and I loved every second of it (if by loved you mean scared crapless and left horrified). I first heard the Bloody Mary Legend when I watched an episode of Supernatural and it freaked me out then (I wouldn't look in a mirror properly until the morning)and I've always been curious about the legend.

This pretty much sticks to the bones of the legend but with a modern twist to it with a differing version of the summoning and the way Mary tortured and kills her victims. It's creepy and in some respects has a sense of hopelessness because how an earth can you stop something that is already dead?

The main character, Shauna goes through a lot and I especially felt bad for Kitty as well. I despised Jess by the end of the book and I was glad of the outcome of the book and the way it's been left open for another book. There's quite a few shocks and the plot manages to twist despite the legend being well known.

Ultimately, this is a well told horror story with just the right amount of teen drama, mystery and gore. But I do warn you, unlike some YA horror novels this had hardly any laughs at all. Any more descriptive and gruesome and i feel this would have to be classed as adult. But that's just my opinion. Anyway, A great read.

The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 9) (Skulduggery Pleasant series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody fantastic!, 1 Sept. 2014
Oh dear Lord, I have never been so apprehensive to read a book in such a long time, especially with Mr Landy's ability to bump off characters like there's no tomorrow. I won't post spoilers in my review but I think the wait was worse than the reading to be honest. This book is amazing! By far my favourite and I was so happy with the ending. thrilled in fact.

I almost choked up at some points and there are some truly sentimental moments, but this installment does not sacrifice on humour by any means. I laughed ridiculously at some points in the book and I think I shall re-read the whole series just for funsies.

Derek is a literary God, and much nicer than the ones depicted in his books (which lets face it, are bloody nuts and insane).

I still have a crush on skulduggery and I totally have a girl crush on Valkyrie and maybe on Tanith too. Hell, I even totally loved Billy-Ray Sanguine by the end of the book and Scapegrace.

Perhaps the most amazing part though is the ending and the way in which there are similarities to the beginning (you'll understand when you read it). I can't wait to read whatever Derek writes next and thank him for getting me out of my reading slump. I needed this book in more ways than one.

Whether you're 7, 17, 27 (like me) or 107, read this series!

Midnight Thief
Midnight Thief
by Livia Blackburne

3.0 out of 5 stars good story but could be better, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Midnight Thief (Hardcover)
The idea behind this story was promising but sadly it didn't take with me. I tried so much to connect to Kyra, but by the end I just didn't connect at all.

It's not that this didn't make a good adventure story because it did. The world building and fantasy elements were incredible, but the pacing of events was far to jumpy and I got the impression that too much was crowded in to one book and just when I thought the story was getting to a point it took another turn in another direction.

Despite all this and all the things Kyra goes through I still couldn't care much for her. If anything I cared more for Tristam and his circumstances, but even then his character seemed shallow and some fickle in some respects (which his changing opinions of Kyra so often)

Don't get me wrong, as a fantasy adventure alone it works, but the loose romances, and choppy storyline make it hard to relate on any deeper level to the characters. But maybe that's just me since plenty of people have given this book 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19