Profile for P. Yates > Reviews

Content by P. Yates

P. Yates "petelke" (Manchester U.K.)

The Protector's War
The Protector's War
by S. M. Stirling

5.0 out of 5 stars A master at his best, 8 Sept. 2006
Stirling just gets better and better - Introduced to his writing in his collaberation with Shirley Meier (Saber & Shadow series) I went onto the first class "General" series which he stopped just as it was getting repepetive and then I revelled in the superb "Islands in the sea of time" and was really disapointed that he left it incomplete (perhaps to return to it - I hope!)

In his latest and best series, "The Protectors War" continues where "Dies the Fire" left off and I cannot recommend this man's books too highly - They are well written and carefully plotted and I feel a sharp pang of pain when I finish one! In my opinion he is the best in the field at the moment (though I love the stories of David Weber almost as much)I have ordered the third in the series in advance - something I have never done before - and I eagerly await it. John Ringo should take lessons from this guy in how to avoid the pitfalls of change of direction when a topic has more or less played out. If you have not started this series or tasted Stirling's work in another book, get them today - you will thank me for the recomendation !

by John Dalmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb example of the genre, 6 July 2001
This review is from: Soldiers (Mass Market Paperback)
Dalmas writes less than David Weber or Harry Turtledove but when he's good he is VERY good (The Regiment set was his best work in my view) This is probably his best yet and is a good long read - a real value for money item to brighten thr life of any serious military SF fan. The plot developes well and the action scenes are excellent.The characters are believable and react in a human way - no cardboard cowboys here ! He explores new facets of the cyborg warrior and his social background and the conflict between those who are true pacifists and those who see a need for war in extreme situations is cleverly contrasted. He developes the citizen soldier theme to a level beyond the 'jingoistic' approach of Heinlein's spacetroopers - I would like to see a film of this book - but it is probably too mature for that ! The science is not emphsised or over explained - I can accept energy beam weapons & FTL travel in escapist literature ! The bottom line is that he has written a good story that moves and entertains and that is what I wish for in this genre - get it !

Dykstra's War
Dykstra's War
by Jeffery D. Kooistra

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 6 July 2001
I bought this book hoping to discover a new author of military S/F to add to the list that I buy whever they publish a new book (Stirling, Weber, Dalmas, Forstchen, Turtledove etc.,). I won't get another by this author unless his writing and plot development matures well beyond this example of his work. The plot was disjointed and had little logical development - it is reminiscent of the post Worldwar II period in the so-called 'Golden Age'of Science Fiction - OK when I was a 15y.o. - but it does not measure up to the realism of charachterization and storyline demanded by most military SF fans today. It reminded me of the work of Van Vogt and the ".....with one bound he was free ! ..." school - if you are looking for SF as it was in "Amazing stories' circa 1950 then try it and good luck. The protaginist was always able to devise a new miracle as soon as it was needed to confound the wicked aliens without any reasonable research & development time.The action scenes were not gritty enough and the writing was without any sophistication. I was not impressed. If you want the real stuff try the new Dalmas novel "Soldiers" or the 'Honor Harrington' novels by David Weber