Profile for mr_apisto > Reviews

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live At The El Mocambo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stevie Ray Vaughan
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Real Deal... in your front room, 18 Oct 2003
I once saw SRV from up on the balcony at the Hammersmith Odeon, I'll never forget the performance, but this revives it... and in a much more intimate environment.
The first reviewer says it all about the intensity of his performance, all I can add is that that didn't diminish with his rise to stardom, he was just the same guy doing what he loved to do.
We'll all miss him...
C:-)lin

One Live Badger
One Live Badger

5.0 out of 5 stars This goes back a long way..., 18 Oct 2003
This review is from: One Live Badger (Audio CD)
Having heard this as a young whipper-snapper, it takes me back [sigh.]
Excellent blues based rock with very little (apparent) influence from John Anderson (of Yes fame). No harm in that as the rhythm section gets in the groove from the off, building as you go through the set to final conclusion with a terrific rendering of "On my way home."
Fantastic bluesy vocals and Tony Kaye's keyboard playing make this a truly enjoyable all-round album.
Some might complain that it doesn't have the complexity or wizardry of major bands of the era, but the album still is as fresh today as it was when I first heard it, something which would be hard to claim for much of its erstwhile contemporaries.
If you loved MUSIC before it got split into so many strands that you find it hard to describe what you like, try this one, I truly hope that you won't be disappointed.
The above comments relate to the vynil version, I have yet to hear the remastered version, I just hope that it hasn't lost the real LIVE quality that my brother's copy has (lucky bu**er)
C:-)lin

Pressure Drop
Pressure Drop
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to listen to but worth the effort, 14 Dec 2002
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
Not his best effort (that title would have to go to either "Secrets" or "Pride") but still a great album.
His reputation for unusual rhythms and eclecticism was founded on albums such as this, at his smoothest on tracks such as "Back in my arms" and "Here with you Tonight", pure slow funk on Riverboat and Reggae cropping up on the title track. As ever his eclectic tastes can sometimes result in patchy work but when it results in tracks like "Work to make it Work" I won't complain. His clever lyrics once again stand out from the crowd of pop music minnows.
Indispensible listening for Palmer fans but a little demanding for those in search of an album where all the songs sound alike.