Profile for Molliemouse > Reviews

Kumar's Family Cookbook
Kumar's Family Cookbook
by Kumar Pereira

5.0 out of 5 stars A family winner, 31 Oct 2014
I loved Kumar on Australian Masterchef (as did my five year old son) and although I really didn't need another cookbook I loved the sound of Kumar's so I succumbed. I'm so glad I did. The drawings are wonderful and make a fun change from photographs. Kumar is a designer so the whole book is beautiful and a work of art. The recipes sound amazing - I am about to make the Christmas cake and I have high hopes - and on top of that the family stories are so interesting. My son has been inspired to make his own family cookbook, my mum is reading it like a storybook, and I am planning to try out the recipes (what a novel idea!) Wonderful.

Theft: A Love Story
Theft: A Love Story
by Peter Carey

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Theft: A Love Story (Paperback)
I found this book beautifully written, extremely moving and completely absorbing. I found it very hard to put down, and with a toddler in the house it wasn't easy to find the stretches of time and concentration it required, but somehow I managed!
I shan't go into plot details as they are well stated in other reviews, but will just say that the chapters narrated by the slow brother were superbly judged I thought - the logic and "intelligence"of his internal self are a counter balance to the way he is viewed externally (the very physical images of him portrayed in his brother's narration).
The character of Marlene is slightly less successful, in that her complexity is revealed without as much background and this made it harder for me to empathise with her. Nevertheless her role in the story is essential to the thriller element and I couldn't really imagine the book without that slightly surprising aspect.
I have to take issue with the reviewer who thinks that high praise for this book is based on his previous works - what a patronising assessment! I have liked the Peter Carey novels I have read before (notably "His illegal self", which didn't in fact garner that much praise from Amazon reviewers) but this was by far my favourite.
I loved it!

Trunki Ride-on Suitcase - Bernard the Bee (Yellow)
Trunki Ride-on Suitcase - Bernard the Bee (Yellow)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as everyone says, 3 Oct 2010
What struck me about previous reviews of this product was how overwhelmingly positive they were - it is very rare to find something that pleases nearly everyone. But here it is - the Trunki! I bought it for my 17 month old even though it says 3 plus as we do a fair bit of travelling and I thought it would be a fun travel on suitcase even though he probably wouldn't be able to actually ride on it. What I didn't expect was for it to become his favourite toy! He plays with it throughout the day, bringing it to be opened, putting things in and taking them out, and then pushing it at great speed across the room and crashing into walls saying "crash, bang, wallop" (thanks to my husband for giving him that idea!) So far it is taking this rough treatment extremely well as it is very robust. He says "Trunki" and claps his hands with glee, and looks for it first thing every morning when he gets up. It is very lightweight, which means that he can lift it up and carry it already, even when full of toys (but he is particularly strong and determined.) So, a five star review, and certainly the best money I have spent since my son was born. And we haven't even gone away yet!