Profile for Sam Francis > Reviews

Content by Sam Francis

Sam Francis

Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
by Lee Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh ..., 3 July 2014
Being a fan of thrillers I thought the novel 'Killing Floor' would be right up my street. The character Jack Reacher, created by Lee Child, has spawned seventeen novels and a recent movie adaptation starring Tom Cruise. So, it's fair to say that when I picked up his debut novel my expectations were set pretty high and without sounding too harsh they weren't really met.

I expected something similar to Robert Ludlum's 'Bourne Identity', and had anticipated Jack Reacher to be an anti-hero that we could all root for, but as a protagonist I found him rather boring. I rarely empathised with him and never felt too concerned when he was met with a life threatening situation. To me he came across as stubborn, selfish, and honestly a bit of a moaner - hardly your typical hero's characteristics. Also I found it a little difficult to discern who his main antagonist actually was. Personally I felt Child overloaded his approx. 500 page novel with too many 'villain' characters, and instead of choosing to focus specifically on one subsequently none of them seemed that menacing.

There are high points in 'Killing Floor', notably (apologies for spoilers) the prison riot scene, and the exhilarating climax but such moments were few and far between, and at times I often found my concentration dwindling as Child's narrative style became rather monotonous and unneccessarily detailed.

Something Child is extremely successful in however is building relationships between characters. Though Reacher wants himself to be perceived as insensitive loner the bonds he builds throughout the novel with his love interest (Roscoe) and work partner (Finlay) emphasise how there is more to him than meets the eye. I wouldn't say 'Killing Floor' has turned me off the Jack Reacher series, and I think I'll definitely be reading his second novel sometime soon but I just felt it lacked the 'oomph' that I associated with a character that has become so dominant in the modern literary world.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Moto G clicks into place very easily and the sleek black leather design does not make ..., 3 July 2014
Fabulous value for money! Only £2.99, including free delivery was very pleasantly surprised. Motorola Moto G clicks into place very easily and the sleek black leather design does not make it look tacky at all. Delivery also arrived within two days which was another excellent bonus. I would 100% recommend this - there are also card slots in the case, and it comes with a stylus pen, and screen wipe.

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
by Mike Tyson

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted ..., 24 April 2014
Call Mike Tyson what you like, but there's no denying he's a survivor. After reading this book I realise that for the first forty years of his life Iron Mike's guardian angel must have been working overtime. The amount this man has lived through, and overcome, is incredible - childhood poverty, a prostitute mother, seeing his friends killed in the street, the loss of his mentor Cus D'Amato, and a relationship with Don King that drove him to bankruptcy. Sure, the one-time 'Baddest Man on the Planet' is no saint but he does come across as very humble, and intelligent in this book - two things he may not get called very often. Tyson's narrative is very touching and at times I genuinely felt for the guy. With the help of Larry Sloman, his co-writer, Tyson takes us on a brilliant journey from his dizzying heights as the youngest ever undisputed world heavyweight champion to his lowest of lows in his battles with drugs, conviction for rape, divorces, and the death of his daughter Exodus. If anything, the book made me realise that a leopard can change its spots. Tyson comes across as sensitive individual who is willing to hold his hand up and admit where he went wrong which makes him an extremely likeable character. For those who are quick to judge, this book probably isn't for you because Mike has made a lot of mistakes in his life but it is the unrelenting desire to survive and carve out a new life for himself and his children that concludes this poignant memoir on a promising note. Mike has truly undergone a Renaissance and is now looking to forge a career in the movies and entertainment, and I can honestly say that after reading 'Undisputed Truth', I wish him every success with it!