Profile for B. Batista-Pedro > Reviews

Content by B. Batista-Pedro

B. Batista-Pedro (Chicago, IL)

As I Survive the Suicide Bomber
As I Survive the Suicide Bomber
Offered by OUT OF PRINT
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep Elm do it again, 20 Feb 2002
Slowride are a fantastic emo band in the vein of Texas Is The Reason, Appleseed Cast, Seven Storey etc. Deep Elm very rarely do wrong in my eyes and this release is even better than most of the other bands on this label. Excellent guitars and good solid vocals- less whiney than most other emo around. In a fair world this band would be huge, but for the informed few this a gem. A must buy even if you only have a passing interest in the genre. Stand out tracks- 'Montana' and 'Rockets and Jets'

Lazarus Churchyard: The Final Cut
Lazarus Churchyard: The Final Cut
by Warren Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars Warren Ellis is so good I hate his guts., 31 Aug 2001
Thank god this was reprinted. I am a huge Warren Ellis fan and have being hearing and reading about Lazarus Churchyard for years, finally I have now got my hands on a copy and I am not disapointed. It is apparent that this was written by a young Ellis lacking the sophistication of his more recent works but the story and the premise is fantastic. Lazarus Churchyard is a four hundred year old ex-terrorist virtually indestructable junkie who just wants to die. This graphic novel is an early slice of the dark genius that we have come to expect from Ellis. This book is funny, sad, violent, disgusting and absolutely essential reading for fans of transmet or planetary.

Perdition City
Perdition City
Price: 11.85

4.0 out of 5 stars 'The Future Sound Of Music'?, 31 Aug 2001
This review is from: Perdition City (Audio CD)
Perdition City by Ulver is one of the most intriguing albums I have listened to in some time. On the cover is says 'music to an interior film' and like all good products it does exactly what it says on the tin. Listening to this album for the first time (late at night with headphones) I found that the music really did feed my imagination and provoke an emotional reaction. In places it does sound like a soundtrack, the use of the saxophone in the album opener 'Lost In Moments' sounds remotely similar to the dark jazz aspects of the 'Lost Horizon' soundtrack for instance. There are almost no vocals on this album but dont let that put you off. Having listened to this album many times now I cant imagine how any vocalist could improve the tracks on here. This album is about massive soundscapes and conflicting emotions- quiet yet intense, simple yet mysterious Ulver has created something truly unique and exciting. My favourite track on this album is 'The Future Sound Of Music' and I can only hope and pray that the prophetic title proves to be true.

When the Pawn...
When the Pawn...
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Words arent good enough to describe this album, 7 Aug 2001
This review is from: When the Pawn... (Audio CD)
I own a lot of cd's. Around about 1000. I listen to jazz, metal, punk, basically anything that has emotion that I can relate to. And this is my favourite album ever. 'Tidal' is a very good album but 'When the Pawn...' is unbelievable. Fiona has the sexiest voice in the world, her lyrics are touching and thought provoking. The arrangements are interesting without being pretensious. The production, particularly on the drums is outstanding. And unlike many solo artists, the backing musicians are prominent enough to creat big sounding songs without crowding out the piano or vocals. Every second of this album is brilliant. I can fault it and believ it or not I am VERY fussy.

Shakedown!
Shakedown!
Offered by ** Good4Books UK ** !!! SALE !!!
Price: 5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Human Waste Project...but not as we know it., 31 July 2001
This review is from: Shakedown! (Audio CD)
I have been waiting patiently for this album since I got hold of the starts demo last year.It has been worth the wait. Beware though- it is not a rehash of HWP's e-lux album. It is not quite as heavy but the songs are more memorable, it does have the same melodic phrasing that was prominent on E-Lux and which made that album so unique. Scott Ellis is one of my favourite drummers and on this album his innovative rhytms undercut nicely with the effects laden guitars and synthesizers. The later can give some of the songs a retro 80's feel, which in my view is not a problem although it may put some people off. Basically the music is great and is topped off with Aimee Echo's distinct vocals. My only quibble is that (as on E-Lux) you can hear Aimee take a sharp intake of breath just before she sings (has anyone ever noticed this apart from me!?. Basically, well worth it. BUY IT!

Tonight & the Rest of My Life
Tonight & the Rest of My Life
Offered by marvelio-uk
Price: 3.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Veruca Who?, 31 July 2001
I bought this album on a whim, I'm not the largest Veruca Salt fan in the world but I do own and still listen to 8 Arms to hold you. I was pleasently surprised when I put this album on. It is mellower than VS, but it is also more mature, better produced and the songs have a depth that VS lacked at times. Also the occasional cringeworthy cheesy cliches that VS were sometimes prone (such as the '1,2,3 YOWWW' in volcano girls) to are not evident on this album. Overall definetly worthy purchase particularly if you like female vocalists.

Hey Brother Can You Spare Me
Hey Brother Can You Spare Me
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the modern SKA scene., 23 Nov 2000
This CD is a great forum for fans of Less Than Jake, Save Ferris etc to find new bands to enjoy. There are some great tracks on display. The Hippos, Cherry Poppin' Daddies and the Mad caddies are all impressive. There is nothing groundbreaking on here, this is simply good modern US SKA. There a few non-descript tracks, but if you are a fan of the genre you will enjoy this CD.