Profile for Paul Tighe > Reviews

Content by Paul Tighe

Paul Tighe "o the humanities" (Dublin, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Irish Examiner
Irish Examiner

5.0 out of 5 stars works well, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Irish Examiner (App)
Unfortunately the stories are heavily abbreviated, so it's really a headlines service. But other than that it excellent. Works reliably and updates itself whenever WiFi is connected. Easy to use, includes pictures, updates automatically when WiFi connected, so though it's only a headlines service -it's a good one

Knot Guide
Knot Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars clear descriptions, good selection, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Knot Guide (App)
This is a simple guide that is done well. Nice clear step by step images. Good selection of knots. There is also a small description of what each knot is useful for, but it's mostly pictures

The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom (PC/Mac DVD)
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom (PC/Mac DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars a regression from previous versions of settlers, 15 July 2012
This game is substantially similar to earlier settlers versions in its setup. Though good, it is scarcely better than previous versions.

What is substantially worse though is the technical side of things. You need an open internet connection to use it, a lot of system memory, I still haven't gotten the graphics right. Furthermore, the online interface you have to use is slow and uses a lot of system resources.

I can't think of any reason to get this over an earlier version of settlers.

The Legend Of 1900 [DVD] [1999]
The Legend Of 1900 [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Tim Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 14 Jun. 2011
Absolutely beautiful film:
the story
the visual images
the soundtrack

-all really beautiful to watch.

This is obviously a very expensively made film with Tim Roth once again nailing a complex part. My respect for him grows with each film.

I don't want to say more as it should be left to your first viewing to reveal the details.

Moby-Dick: Or, the White Whale (Everyman's Library Classics)
Moby-Dick: Or, the White Whale (Everyman's Library Classics)
by Herman Melville

2.0 out of 5 stars High quality print -but didn't enjoy the story, 14 Jun. 2011
The book is (like all the Everyman's hardbacks) printed on high quality paper, with a slim bookmark sewn into the spine. Lovely to read.

However, I did not enjoy this story and I'm not sure what the supposed appeal of it is. Though it does have moments of interesting cross-cultural exchanges, most of the book (and I level the same charge at 20,000 leagues) is consumed with repetitive description of the ocean and life at sea. Though this is not charmless, it is hardly the basis of a great novel. Clearly, whaling held endless fascination for Melville -but not for me. My fascination with the business end of things ended about a hundred pages in.

A cruel interpretation would be that it is a story about the endlessly repetitious life of work that everybody leads -with the added spice of a management that leads the crew to lose their lives in a large workplace accident.

Sony MDR-V150 Headphones with Reversible Housing for DJ Monitoring
Sony MDR-V150 Headphones with Reversible Housing for DJ Monitoring

4.0 out of 5 stars I use these every day for work, 14 Jun. 2011
Got these about 2 years ago.

Sound is good, comfortable to wear for longish periods.

I broke one of the arms, but have patched it with sellotape -no problem.

Basically, a good little headset suitable for regular use.

Under Fire [DVD]
Under Fire [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nick Nolte
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Found this by chance, but have rewatched several times., 14 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Under Fire [DVD] (DVD)
Great little film. Similar to "Salvador" and they both came out at the same time.

The story starts out as a light drama about journalists abroad, butslowly, almost imperceptibly evolves into a drama with real tension and one or two shocks. It has moral dilemmas at the heart of it, as well as a growing feeling of claustrophobia.

Great performances from everyone -but I want to single out Gene Hackman for being truly great in this.

The Divine Comedy (Everyman's Library Classics)
The Divine Comedy (Everyman's Library Classics)
by Dante Alighieri

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the only book of this length that is worth finishing., 14 Jun. 2011
Firstly -the physical book: It's hardback, with crisp, clean paper and a bookmark sewn into the spine. Good production.

Secondly -the story: Before boring you with how much I treasure this book (and the epic twin visions of the march of history and life in the afterlife it constructs) I want to look at some of the things that other reviewers might miss.

This book will lead you to other classical works. It is heavily referential i.e. it refers to the works of other writers before Dante, many of them writing thousands of years before Dante wrote. Virgil, Homer, Augustine, Cicero -the author refers to the theories and mythologies laid down by these earlier writers, so that a close read will bring you on a mini-tour of classical and pre-classical writing. Some is scientific, some is mythological, some religious, some historical -the breadth of literature that Dante draws upon to construct his own epic is vast. I found that by the time I had finished, I had resolved to read a half dozen or so other books which I thought would interest me. It has cemented my interest in the classics.

Also, though Dante sets out a very precise blueprint for what the afterlife is like, the state of religion etc.: That does not mean that the reader cannot interact with the story to play with these questions today. Dante's story demands that the reader reflect on the great questions -Dante offers some answers, poses some questions, but most importantly is engaged with the key issues. His vision of the development of the world is at times absurd and parochial, and at other times majestic, but at least he did not back away from the big questions.

Finally, I want to simply state that I find the vast struggle with competing ideas of science, religion, history etc to be a rousing read. This is one man's vision of what underpins the world -it is not mine, it is probably not yours, but it is Dante's answer to the questions we all ask.

Life of a European Mandarin: Inside the Commission
Life of a European Mandarin: Inside the Commission
by Derk Jan Eppink

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the mood, 13 Jun. 2011
This description of some of the lighter and surreal aspects of the College of Commissioners is right on target. Recognisable and self-aware.

Much of what is in this book are the antics and contradictions of any large organisation, but they obviously have a wider appeal because of the Commission's significance across Europe.

An amusing read.

Western Digital My Book 500GB Essential  USB2.0 External Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book 500GB Essential USB2.0 External Hard Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Saved all my files from being lost, 13 Jun. 2011
I bought this years ago. I occasionally back up my most important files on it. It saved my life this year when my laptop was robbed and my only copy of my crucial files was lying (unloved and almost forgotten) in this device which I had left unminded in a cupboard.

It's easy to use, powerful and fast. Everyone should have a back up and this one does the job well.

Page: 1 | 2