ARRAY(0xa2e3836c)

Map Addict: A Tale of Obsession, Fudge & the Ordnance Survey
by Mike Parker
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining, 26 Sep 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone with a shelf or two of their bookcase dedicated to Explorer or Landranger maps. I found the writing to be thoughtful, even-handed and often very funny. OK, maybe it's a little long in places, but the gems of fascinating information (can you name the only OS Landranger map which includes no contours whatsoever?) and some excellent humour make this a very enjoyable read.

The Welsh Three Thousand Foot Challenges: A Guide for Walkers and Hill Runners
The Welsh Three Thousand Foot Challenges: A Guide for Walkers and Hill Runners
by Roy Edward Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for the Welsh 3000s, 19 July 2010
A fantastic book - informative, wise, succinct and very funny. I completed the Welsh 3000s at the weekend and this little gem was essential both to the detailed planning and to my general motivation. I also recommend the weatherproof 1:25,000 map Snowdon (OS Explorer Map Active) because the weather in Wales will always be, you know, Welsh.

Underground England: Travels Beneath Our Cities and Country
Underground England: Travels Beneath Our Cities and Country
by Stephen Smith
Price: 10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what it says on the tin, 19 July 2010
I have really mixed emotions about this book. Much of the writing is very smart and witty, but ultimately it is long winded and only loosely connected with the subterranean. Or completely unconnected, like the lengthy section on the life of Frankie Howerd (I kid you not). Some sections are thoroughly intriguing, but these come all too rarely amidst the rather uninteresting personal anecdotes.

Having read the other reviews, I tracked this book down through the local library and was very glad I didn't spend my hard-earned cash on it. One to borrow, one to dip into, not one to buy.