Profile for Skyla > Reviews

Content by Skyla

Skyla (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Asperger's Syndrome: A Definite Guide Toward Understanding And Treating Aspergers Syndrome!! (Asperger Syndrome: Aspergers In Adults, Aspergers In Teens, ... In Adults Kids In Love Teens Girls)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful - don't bother, 15 April 2016
Very, very badly written. Almost as though it has been translated poorly from another language by Babelfish... I got to chapter 2 and had to put it down, due to a whole paragraph full of muddled and incomprehensible sentences. Really disappointing.

Bath Splash Guard Bathroom White Colour Hard To Find Magic USA Brand
Bath Splash Guard Bathroom White Colour Hard To Find Magic USA Brand
Offered by Buy It Better Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly fab, 13 April 2016
Not possible to fit it as the instructions describe - other reviewers appear to have noticed the same thing.

MX Group 5017706250030 Synergy 6 Mode Rub Clean Showerhead - White
MX Group 5017706250030 Synergy 6 Mode Rub Clean Showerhead - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little thing, 13 April 2016
I am really pleased with this at the very reasonable price. The massage setting is a godsend for sore muscles.

Galopar Aromatherapy Air Humidifier Essential Oil Diffuser Ultrasonic Mist Air Humidifier with 7 Color LED Lights Waterless Auto off for home office
Offered by Galopar

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but..., 13 April 2016
It does the job - I do have a couple of little quibbles with the design, though.
Firstly, the cable does not sit that well under the unit - there is no notch to accommodate it, so the unit wobbles a bit. Secondly, it beeps whenever you change the light or mist settings, which can be a bit annoying at night. The instructions weren't great, but I have worked it out with common sense at this point. Other than that, it does a pretty good job.

Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't seen it, you are missing out!, 22 Feb. 2015
There is a good reason this show became a cult classic. I have never been able to stick with other space-based series; I always became very bored, very quickly. Firefly is utterly original, edge-of-your-seat suspenseful and hilarious to boot. The scripts are perfect, and the family of characters is so real I became incredibly attached to them. Holds up well after the years it has been around, and honestly, I have not yet seen another TV show that comes close to touching it. Fans have been mourning the cancellation of the show for years, and it is just as unfathomable to me.

For the unfamiliar - boy, are you in for a treat! The soundtrack is Old West with a few modern twists, and the feel is that of a good Western, despite being set in space and way into the future. Nathan Fillion heads a matchless cast, and the writers have combined a very serious background story with bursts of humour that left me crying with laughter. The writing is highly intelligent and oddly believable. I have watched the box set countless times, and never, ever tire of it.

Ultimately, Firefly is about the importance of freedom and individuality, which is reflected in the actions and relationships of its wonderful characters, several of whom are initially bewildered by the moral grey areas they find themselves facing. I also found that the characters' passionate love for their ship, Serenity, is strangely infectious - by the end of the series, I loved her just as much as they did...

The subsequent movie, Serenity, rounds out the series nicely. Thanks, Joss Whedon, for an unforgettable show that it seems will live forever.

N.B. For those of you who are gamers, the online game is currently in development - see keepflying.com.

Game On (feat. Sandeep Parikh & Felicia Day)
Game On (feat. Sandeep Parikh & Felicia Day)

5.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of The Guild and gamers everywhere, 22 Feb. 2015
Probably only gamers will get the lyrics, very funny and great beat

DigiFunk® LED Dog Collar - Rechargeable USB - One Size Fits All 70cm - No Batteries Required - Adjustable Band Belt Safety Flashing Flash Light Glow Bright Pet Cat Small Medium Large (Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good, 22 Feb. 2015
My neighbour has had one of these for ages and I finally decided to get one for night walks. Every other night collar or tag I have had has eventually failed dismally, but so far this has been great. There is no farting about with batteries, and the charge lasts for about 3 1-hour walks before it needs recharging. Simple and practical; would recommend.
N.B. It feels a little worrying when cutting it to fit your dog that you have to cut in between led lights, but don't fear, it's fine!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but..., 22 Feb. 2015
I have had mine a year now, and they do keep your feet warm and dry. On the down side, the zipper constantly snagging on the lining makes me crazy! Also, they are quite 'clunky'. I am a dog-walker and I just find them too heavy and clunky for all day wear. I find myself often choosing another boot to put on, unless the weather is really awful.

Ash
Ash
by James Herbert

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Ash (Paperback)
I used to love James Herbert in my 20s, but seldom read horror anymore. Someone recently handed me 'Ash', saying they'd enjoyed it. Honestly, I don't think I'll be able to finish it. James Herbert's writing is driving me nuts. It is overly descriptive, repetitive and strangely dated. I find myself unable to get really close to and care about the main character, because Herbert keeps distancing the reader from him, for instance by saying : "David thought.....", "Ash wondered".....', and then suddenly switching to "the parapsychologist smiled". We know what he does, it doesn't need constant restating. The man-woman scenes are stilted and unnatural, and the dialogue is utterly impossible (i.e. an intelligent woman - psychologist Dr. Wyatt - spills her entire life story and family history in answer to a simple question. Not likely). I find myself wanting to grab a pencil and edit as I go.

I really wanted to like this book, and part of me wants to carry on reading to see what happens , as the storyline looks promising, but I really don't think I can stand it. Mr. Herbert, what happened to your writing?? And to your editor, for that matter?

Edit 21 Aug 13 : Just read that Mr. Herbert died in March of this year - this explains a lot, I think. Maybe he really was unwell when he wrote it, and the publisher just rushed it out without editing properly (or at all??). Shame on them, too - allowing a distinguished horror career to end this way.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 3:54 PM BST

Chinese Money Toad with Coin - 12cm x 9.5cm
Chinese Money Toad with Coin - 12cm x 9.5cm
Offered by Got-Bonsai?

4.0 out of 5 stars He's lovely, 4 Aug. 2013
Very good value for the price, heavy and solid and very cute. My only slight quibble is that the coin doesn't easily stay in his mouth. I have solved the problem with a tiny dab of blu-tak...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3