Profile for P. A. Ferguson > Reviews

Content by P. A. Ferguson

P. A. Ferguson "Porl!" (Cleckheaton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
All The Best Lines
All The Best Lines
by George Tiffin
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Best present ever!, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: All The Best Lines (Hardcover)
So said the guy I bought this for. It was a secret Santa present and he loved it so much he demanded to know who the Santa was! He regularly references it, always recites lines from it and constantly thanks me for it. I'm beginning to think I should have kept if for myself and bought him something cheesy instead.

Into the Black
Into the Black
Offered by HANG LOOSE Records
Price: 15.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Criminal, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Into the Black (Audio CD)
RK is criminally underrated in this country. He is a great, great talent. On this album alone I can play tracks to the girls in my office who swoon over his sentiment and soulful voice. I can play tracks to my guitar playing hard rock buds who raise eyebrows at his effortless guitar playing. Not just skill but tone and melody. This is a gooooood album full of standout tracks. 'Doin what the Devil Says' is a nice soulful piece and the follower 'Till you put me down' really rips it at the end with some fancy fast fretwork. In a way I'm glad he is relatively unknown over here as he is still playing smaller, intimate venues. None of that arena nonsense. Just buy one of his albums for gawd's sake!

Digital Illustration: A Masterclass in Digital Image-Making
Digital Illustration: A Masterclass in Digital Image-Making
by Lawrence Zeegen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for 'proper' graphic students, 15 July 2010
I have been using this book for reference for myself and for my graphic design students over the last academic year 2009/10. I found it very useful and so did my students. The title does indicate a DIGITAL slant, but any seasoned designer will realise that traditional methods combined with digital yield outstanding results. The computer is a tool and good for compiling a combination of digital and other methods (when photographed or scanned in). There are too many blogs and books that forget that an educated designer will find the best way forward (including perhaps the most cost effective) to produce a design outcome. This isn't always digital. If you are obsessed by photoshop and think (wrongly) that being a designer is about digital only, don't buy it. And don't become one of my students either, because I teach and produce good graphic designers, not Photoshop Mac Monkeys with no design or commercial sense. And I think you mean 'you're' not 'your'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2011 4:54 PM BST

MSG (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks)
MSG (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks)
Price: 6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatness, 30 Jun 2010
I bought this when it came out off the back of a flexidisc track given away with Sounds? Kerrang? Whatever. Soooo much more better produced than the first album. Funnily enough the sampler track 'Let sleepin dogs lie' is my least favourite. The others? Wonderful, wonderful tracks. You simply cannot pick out a duff musician. Great riffs by the Schenkmeister. Of course, this review is for all those old farts like me that bought this first time and are wondering what we thought of it. My theory is that is that if you are exposed at a young age to music age, you'll remember it and love it. Otherwise you'll think it's rubbish. Most 16 year olds will hate it. Your loss kids!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2013 8:50 PM BST

Is a Woman
Is a Woman
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal, 7 April 2010
This review is from: Is a Woman (Audio CD)
I'll keep it brief. I listened to this album, especially 'The New Cobweb Summer' during a glum period when me dad was dying. I loved the record. I still remember 'Cobweb' coming on my stereo, unplanned one day and knew me old man had passed away. (He had). "The hunter is asleep, At least that's what i call him" resonated with me. My own brothers think this album is naff. It's a personal choice. Reader/Listener, just delve in and enjoy. You'll find the album waters hot or cold. And who can say which of those you will like? Lambchop. Kurt Wagner. Thanks.

Led Zeppelin IV
Led Zeppelin IV
Price: 8.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best, 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: Led Zeppelin IV (Audio CD)
I can sum it up pretty quickly. It's a very dull record. And compared to III is a step backward. Black Dog? Erm, sorry but those time changes DO NOT WORK! Because I am an older fart, I can say that Stairway to Heaven is so, so dull. The whole album marks a decline for me until greats like Physical Graffiti and Presence. Battle of Evermore and Rock and Roll save this sorry affair. It's great that people talk about the drum lick to 'When the Levee Breaks' but I bet they don't talk any further than that. It's crap. Led Zep II, Physical Graffiti, and Presence for me. But do be aware that I think Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven are crap too when you read my review. Zep II is flawless. Then you have to pick and choose on the rest of their stuff I reckon.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 9:50 PM GMT

Strangers In The Night [Remaster]
Strangers In The Night [Remaster]
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny for a Bottom, 19 Jan 2010
Why oh why no one has confessed to bowing down in front of the speakers and worshipping the genius that is the guitar solo of Rock Bottom beggars belief. And THEN, the riff kicks back in when the song appears to be over. I've got this on CD, of course, but if they rerelease the Double Album on Vinyl, there is a copy already sold here. A flippin masterwork. If you don't end up in hospital after air-guitaring to this album you are a big girls blouse. Genius. Imagine how many stars if I reviewed ALL the tracks eh?

Journey In Satchidananda
Journey In Satchidananda
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Holmes' ain't where the heart is, 17 Jun 2009
Unlike one star reviewers who make up what other people have said, I'll let it be known here that no-one has made out that this is the zenith of 'Indian Jazz Fusion', not on this site at any rate. Most of us would agree that this a quite beautiful record and if this kind of laid back reflective jazz is your thing, then you could easily find yourself coming back to it time and time again. It's certainly the kind of record that feels like time has passed without one realising it. It definitely takes you places. Sublime.

But I do agree with one star reviewers that if you DO want an Indian Jazz fusion, then yep, head over to the Shakti section and knock yerself out! Mind you if you want PROPER Indian Jazz fusion...

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Ready for Epiphany, 16 Jun 2009
When it hits, like some other reviewers, I will add to all the stars I leave 'dormant' here, and mark this album as something special, but for now, I shall assemble my camp at the foot of the false idols. I have no problem with being proven wrong. I like it. Right now this is amazingly uninteresting and dull. I am so looking forward to showing myself up and this being a real winner. It's happened before. It might take ten years, but...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2013 12:55 AM BST

Communion
Communion
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Mar 2009
This review is from: Communion (Audio CD)
Surprised there are no reviews of this already. It's a masterpiece.
I've played it to friends and they've been stunned by how good it is.
It's like bringing Nile down to a listenable level.

The Egyptian 'pomp' is there, the dark, dark metal is there, but there is a melodic quality to it that can't be denied. Hardly any point in naming fave tracks, but 'Lovecraft's Death' was the track that got me wanting more, and it's the opener here, but we move straight into 'Anubis', and it just gets better and better. It sounds like the Stargate movie made the greatest ancient "hierometal" album, ever.

This, coupled with a lovely, lovely piece of cover art, is well worth the price. Honestly, I feel like it is something I experience, rather than listen to. It has a something of a musical air to it at times, so you really feel involved.

Bring more lads, bring more. There's a host of us wanting more. Best album of its type (if there is one, in years).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3