Profile for Katy M > Reviews

Songs of the Humpback Whale
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 6.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and somewhat laboured!, 9 Mar 2011
I took this book out of my library in audio format - not a good idea! The way the story is set out, with Rebecca starting at the future and working backwards, but the other characters giving their versions in 'real time', was very hard to follow without having the written page to refer to. I couldn't remember what order events had happened in, and because the characters gave their version of the same events, I got bored hearing the same things being related over and over. I felt that the ending was a bit of a 'damp squib', too. Not one of Jodi's best books...on a positive note, however, it did enable me to get some sleep when my husband spent all night coughing, as I just plugged the headphones in and listened to the soporific voices telling the repetitive story, and next thing I knew, I had fallen asleep and was 7 chapters further on! I'm afraid I won't be buying the written copy of this one.

House Rules
House Rules
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but dissatisfied with the ending, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: House Rules (Paperback)
I have read a few of Jodi Picoult's books and on the whole, I find them riveting and well-researched. This was one which gripped me from the start and I raced through it. However, I was disappointed with the ending as I felt that it was too ambiguous - it would have been nice to know what happened to Joseph in the end. Too many loose ends for my liking! On the plus side, though, I feel as though I know a lot more about Asperger's Syndrome, and the challenges faced by families affected by it.

The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Get hold of a copy, now!, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I was not the most sociable of people, the week that I checked this out of my local library! I had to tear myself away from it to make dinner, go to the loo and do all those mundane but necessary chores. Arriving at the last page was devastating, as I felt as though the main characters had become my friends and I'd shared their journey. The author wrote it with such pathos and wit, but didn't hold back from the harsh realities of life in 1960s Mississippi. There were times when I despaired for the characters, yet there was always the glimmer of hope, and the women's courage shone through. This book should be on every school's reading list, there's more than enough content for critical essays and debate! I'm going to buy my own copy and give it a special place on my bookshelf, but no doubt it will be passed on to others! A literary gem.

Greenvoe
Greenvoe
by George Mackay Brown
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read book!, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Greenvoe (Paperback)
I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book or not, but I started it and then found it hard to put down! GMB has such a wonderful turn of phrase and his descriptions of people and places are so poetic without being sentimental, you just feel that you are there amongst them. At times I wasn't sure if what I was reading was myth or reality, but it didn't matter as the story just flowed so beautifully. Dark at times, yes, but with moments of wry humour and the presence of hope amidst adversity. Can't wait to read another one of his!