Profile for cakesandquilts > Reviews

Content by cakesandquilts

cakesandquilts

Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance
by Lisa Alther
Price: 14.23

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 27 July 2013
Bought this after watching the tv programme believing it to be solely about the Hatfields and McCoys,but a large chunk of the book is taken up with other family arguments, I was very disappointed.

The International School of Sugarcraft 1: Beginners Bk.1
The International School of Sugarcraft 1: Beginners Bk.1
by Nicholas Lodge
Price: 5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 27 July 2013
Buy this book for all the instructions which are excellent but the designs in the book are so dated now,its a shame that it has never been updated.I have all three books in this series and they are all equally excellent at explaining the techniques,but all equally dated in terms of designs.

The A to Z of Cake Decorating Flowers: Step by Step Construction Techniques
The A to Z of Cake Decorating Flowers: Step by Step Construction Techniques
by Lorraine Sorby-Howlett

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting book, 27 July 2013
I have quite a few books about sugar flowers,and although this book looks quite dated,there is a good wide range of flowers in it,the instructions arent incredibly detailed,but even beginners should be able to manage some of the flowers in this book.I am glad I purchased it.

The Practical Encyclopedia of Orchids
The Practical Encyclopedia of Orchids
by Brian Rittershausen

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 27 July 2013
a good book covering all the basics and a wide range of orchids.interesting section on plant hunters who first found them.

Mich Turner's Cake Masterclass: The Ultimate Guide to Cake Decorating Perfection
by Mich Turner
Price: 17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars worthwhile purchase, 22 July 2013
I am glad I have added this book to my collection,good instructions and good photos.I buy lots of cake books and this is one of the better ones I have purchased.Although I do feel you would really need to have had a little experience for some of the techniques I think beginners would be able to make nice cakes using this book.

Cake Craft Made Easy: Step by step sugarcraft techniques for 16 vintage-inspired cakes
by Fiona Pearce
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Cake craft made easy, another one!, 22 July 2013
I believe absolute beginners would find some of this very difficult .I am all for encouraging people to try but cake decorating is not easy when you first start and it can be discouraging and put people off trying again if you cant quite live up to what some of these books say.That said the instructions are very clear,much better than some books I have and there are cakes in here that beginners could cope with and make a good job of.Pictures are lovely,I bought it purely because I buy lots of cake books and I am making my daughter a vintage cake for her wedding and wanted to see what this book had inside it.

The Cake Parlour Sweet Tables - Beautiful baking displays with 40 themed cakes, cupcakes & more: Beautiful Baking Displays with 40 Themed Cakes, Cupcakes, Cookies & More
by Zoe Clark
Price: 7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners, 22 July 2013
Useful for ideas but you will need to have previous experience of cake decorating as I believe absolute beginners would find this book challenging.I would say that most of the ideas in this book apart from the cupcakes and biscuits are for more experienced decorators. I have a lot of cake books and probably wont use this one much apart from looking at the pictures,instructions are ok,but its not as easy as its made to look but that is true of a lot of cake decorating books.

Quilt-Lovers' Favorites: v. 1: 15 Cherished Quilts Plus 37 One-of-a-Kind Projects (Better Homes & Gardens)
by Better Homes & Gardens

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 22 July 2013
I love this book,packed full of lovely projects even beginners would be able to find something.I have others from this series and they are all excellent. Im really glad I added it to my collection.

Better Homes and Gardens Quilt-Lovers' Favorites, Vol. 5
Better Homes and Gardens Quilt-Lovers' Favorites, Vol. 5

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 22 July 2013
I love this book,something for all quilters ,even beginners would find something.I have others in this series,and they are all equally as good.

Twenty Little Amish Quilts: With Full-Size Templates (Dover Quilting)
Twenty Little Amish Quilts: With Full-Size Templates (Dover Quilting)
by Gwen Marston
Price: 8.15

5.0 out of 5 stars good little book, 22 July 2013
A basic black and white printed book, but everything in it ,good instructions,quilting can be expensive so I am starting to make mini quilts so I can still carry on doing something I love,but is more affordable,and I am glad I bought this book.