Profile for The Truth > Reviews

Content by The Truth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 161

The Truth "How it is" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Thomas & Friends Motion Control Thomas
Thomas & Friends Motion Control Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars You're the Fat Controller, 20 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a top toy. What little boy doesn't love a bit of Thomas the Tank Engine? Well now imagine a tank engine where you're the Fat Controller. Awesome, right?!!! Well, here it is because you're in charge of this Thomas.

This is quite a large toy which you can command with the movement of your hands or using the paddle provided. Your motions dictate whether Thomas goes backwards or forwards. Move your hand forward and off he goes. Move it backwards and Thomas drive backwards. And if you want him to avoid objects and obstacles use the paddle.

There is also a mode which works rather like "Simon Says" which is a simple edition that really take this toy to another level; both developmentally and fun wise for your child. Suitable for ages 2 and up, this is a toy that any little boy would love to get their hand on.

1Byone 27W 4-Port Travel-Sized Multi Ports Desktop USB Charger with U-station Design for iPhone 6 5s 5c 5, iPad 4 mini Air, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4, Note 3 2, the new HTC One (M8), Nexus, Smartphones, 5V Tablets, Bluetooth Speakers and More
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! While haven't Apple designed one of these already?, 15 Oct 2014
I absolutely love this item, and it's a surprise Apple haven't already designed something similar themselves. But to be honest, there's no need for them to do so, because UStation have done an excellent job of it themselves; so good, in fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell this wasn't a genuine Apple product if it didn't have a logo on it.

Look-wise, it obviously borrows from the design of many Apple products, but much like Apple products, it is also very well built, feeling sturdy and heavy.

The unit allows you to charge up to 4 USB devices, so the family don't have to fight over who charges their iPhone, and now I can have my iPhone and my iPad on charge at the same time - and in that respect, it's a lifesaver!

Protective flaps, flip down and cover any inputs when they're not being used, keeping the unit looking neat and tidy and the inputs dust-free. Overall, I think this is a brilliant item. I should point out it was given to me free to review, but that hasn't coloured my judgement - it's just blooming well brilliant!

Teach Yourself Visually Complete Mac Pro (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
Teach Yourself Visually Complete Mac Pro (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
by Paul McFedries

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you're swapping from PC to Mac, but not much new for seasoned Mac users, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although there's a lot of information contained within this book, I found that information to be a bit basic. It was well presented and (in true Mac spirit) easy to use and follow, but it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.

I think the confusion comes because of the title. Mac pro lead me to assume I would be learning all sorts of in-depth tips, advanced techniques, and secret hacks that would help me optimise my Apple computers performance; get the most out of it by tweaking settings and such. Unfortunately, what I got was pretty standard stuff. Like how to set up email, turn on your wifi or sync your blutooth track pad.

I think the 'Pro' refers to the pro in MacBook Pro as opposed to expert, but I think this would be a handy book for anyone who is not used to an Apple Mac OS. If you're making the jump from PC to mac (you'll wish you had migrated years ago) this is a worthwhile purchase to help you get tp grips with their way of doing things. However, if you are a seasoned Mac user, I doubt you'll find much in here you don't already know or can't find using Google.

Philips LED GU10 4 W Spotlight Warm White Light Bulb (35 W Equivalent, Dimmable, 15,000 Hours)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, works well., 14 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These LED spotlights are great. I've tried a few of them now and they work excellently, with no loss of performance in brightness compared to standard bulbs.

They can be a bit bulkier and slightly less appealing cosmetically, but this model does a good job of keeping size to a minimum and looking nice too.

The Suspect [DVD]
The Suspect [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yoo Gong

4.0 out of 5 stars The Korean Jason Bourne., 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Suspect [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really rather enjoy Korean cinema, they seem to really be into their films and do some good stuff. Sometimes, the films they make don't always quite come off, but they always seem to at least try hard and put their heart and soul into them ... Or should the be Seoul?

I think this film falls into that later category. It's a good effort and, for the most part, an enjoyable watch, but I think it tries a little too hard and would have benefitted from being simplified a bit.

The story is one of espionage; of North & South defectors and specially trained assassins and super soldiers. Some of the ideas are perhaps a little clichéd by western standards, and ultimately there are too many ideas which kind of spoils the fun a bit as I found myself trying to keep up rath than enjoy the ride, but that doesnt' take away from the fact that there's some good fight scenes and action sequences in it.

Philips Friends of hue Personal Wireless Lighting Iris Starter Kit (1 LED Iris Mood Light, 1 Bridge)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, this review won't help you., 9 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are two buying options for this light; one is just the light and the other is the light and the bridge needed to operate it. Unfortunately I was sent the light alone, not the kit with the bridge which is needed for it to work. Because of this, I can't really review this item.

In order to get my light to work I would need to buy the Hue starter kit, so if you don't already have some Philips Hue lights and a bridge and are thinking if buying one of these, make sure you select the right option. Seeing as I can't really test the item, I've given it a neutral 3 stars.

Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10
Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting space-slop for cats., 8 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This stuff is positively vile and, in my eyes, represents a lot that's wrong with the world. You know those Sci-Fi films you see? Well this is like the space-gruel crews get served for dinner aboard spaceships in the future.

I actually felt guilty serving this pink slop to my cats. When I squeezed it out into the bowl, I was actually a little concerned for them and wondered if it was actually wise feeding it to them. So much so that I read the ingredients.

Luckily, my cats turned their noses up at it. They sniffed it and then looked up at me, as if to say "WTF? What the hell is this?" and thankfully they didn't eat it.

The ingredients reveal it actually more vegetable than meat, with only about 6% protein in it - one presumes this comes from the very worst of the worst leftovers from the slaughter house, pureed down so its unrecognisable.

There's an expression: I wouldn't feed that to my dog ... Well I wouldn't feed this to my cat. Or any other living thing. It's quite simply repulsive, and I'm ashamed to have even tried.

1Byone Safety Driveway Patrol Infrared And Wireless Home Security Alert Alarm System Kit With Remote Controller Remote Distance 30M Color White, Three Models Chime/Low/Alarm To Choose, Classical Easy Alarms With LED Indicator Weatherproof, Protect Home Garden Garage Shed Business Warehouse Aircraft Hangar Secret Place Space And Anywhere That You Need, Protect Your Privacy, Type QH-0251
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple but effective addition to your home security, 7 Oct 2014
This is a simple device which will alert you to anyone approaching your property. It's particularly handy if you have a large driveway which doesn't run immediately outside your houses windows.

My parents live on a farm and they have all manner of people coming and going, driving up and down it, with no legitimate reason; one assumes it's because they get lost in the country lanes - which is fine - but they have had a few of the barns broken into too.

It's for this reason, I got them this device which they love. Now they're alerted when anyone comes up the drive.

The unit is simple to set up and use. The infrared unit is placed outside (in the case of my parents, on the gate post) and when the beam is broken the main unit sounds a short alarm, alerting you to the fact.

There is a volume control and as well as the audio alert, you get a visual cue of flashing lights too. All in all, this is a very cheap and effective means to help safeguard your home and bring you peace of mind.

This item was supplied to me free of charge for review. I'm tempted to give it 5 stars because it's a great little item, especially when you consider the price. However, I think it deserves 4 stars because of the design. It's not the best looking item in the world but it does what is asked of it very well.

Twitter is Not a Strategy
Twitter is Not a Strategy
by Tom Doctoroff

4.0 out of 5 stars Marketeers take note., 5 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Finally. Someone who gets it. someone who doesn't think straplines are all a bit 80s and understands the importance of a good strategy.

As an ex advertising creative who subscribes to the old way of doing things, more and more these days, I find myself with people in 'marketing' who seem to put the cart before the horse; next time it happens I'll give them this book.

The one thing about it though, which I feel is a bit of a shame, is that Doctoroff uses the same old examples as an example of how it should be done- Apple, Nike etc. etc.. But then again, maybe that's because, sadly, there aren't any other strong examples out there. A sign of the times perhaps?

My only other grumble is that the pictures in the book are slightly low quality. But I agree with every word printed in its pages.

Ultrasport GPS watch NavRun 200
Ultrasport GPS watch NavRun 200
Price: £19.47 - £89.66

2.0 out of 5 stars Just download an app or your smartphone., 30 Sep 2014
There are a couple of things wrong with this watch. This first point I'll address is a problem that all Ultrasport watches seem to have - and I should know, as I've been sent a couple of their heart monitor watches to review in the past; and the problems here are the same as before. That is, that that the thing is too damn complicated to use.

If anyone at Ultrasport reads this, you really need to change the way your watches work as changing modes leads to a horrible users experience.

Secondly, in today's day and age I'm not convinced this is worth buying. There are dozens of apps available for your smart phone which are cheaper (free even), offer better functionality and are far more user friendly. For me this watch lacks features and the ones it does have are clumsily implemented.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2014 3:09 PM BST