Profile for The Truth > Reviews

Content by The Truth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 162

The Truth "How it is" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ultrasport GPS watch NavRun 200
Ultrasport GPS watch NavRun 200
Price: £15.96 - £88.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Just download an app or your smartphone., 30 Sep 2014
There are a couple of things wrong with this watch. This first point I'll address is a problem that all Ultrasport watches seem to have - and I should know, as I've been sent a couple of their heart monitor watches to review in the past; and the problems here are the same as before. That is, that that the thing is too damn complicated to use.

If anyone at Ultrasport reads this, you really need to change the way your watches work as changing modes leads to a horrible users experience.

Secondly, in today's day and age I'm not convinced this is worth buying. There are dozens of apps available for your smart phone which are cheaper (free even), offer better functionality and are far more user friendly. For me this watch lacks features and the ones it does have are clumsily implemented.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2014 3:09 PM BST

Rapesco Stapler - Full Strip, Power-assisted X5-50f
Rapesco Stapler - Full Strip, Power-assisted X5-50f

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing., 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This gets two to two-point-five stars. It's a middle ground because it performs well, but is perhaps the ugliest desktop item I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure what "power assisted" means, because as far as I can work out this still behaves exactly like a normal stapler. There is no hidden engine or whirring noises which I was expecting (and hoped for).

But perhaps I'm being mean? It does the job you'd expect of a stapler and is very easy to load. Rapesco we're kind enough to supply some staples, too, for me to try out. And when you press the big purple button at the back a loading tray shoots out at around 100 miles an hour. Perhaps it's this that's power assisted?

There's also a place to write your name, though, not only is this on the underside of the item (so it's not really a theft deterrent), it's incredibly tiny and you'd need a microscope to write your name there - or perhaps you'd be better off getting one of those guys who writes a whole book on a grain of rice to do it?

It has a dual stapling functionality - so you can staple thing normally or kind of weirdly (with the back of the staple folded outward) and that's about it. Personally, it's not for me, but if you have to do a lot of stapling and are a fan of ugly silver and purple items you might love it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2014 8:37 AM BST

Leifheit Pegasus L Comfort 81516 Airer
Leifheit Pegasus L Comfort 81516 Airer

3.0 out of 5 stars Is the Pegasus an airer fit for the greek gods?, 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Something is very wrong when you get excited about the arrival of clothes horse for drying your clothes, but the lack of one in my household has meant my washing has become a real problem. Due to two lively cats who love climbing all over these things and playing in the washing while it hangs on them to dry, I've got through a number of these. Now I've stopped buying them and washing is scattered about the house while it dries.

So, will the Pegasus be any different? The mythological name certainly suggest so let's take a look.

First lets do a quick round-up. The Pegasus comes with a few little extras, immediately elevating it to a status above my other clothes racks; namely a little bag for putting pegs in (which attaches with Velcro to the frame) and special clips for hanging your sock from. I'm not sure you really need the bag for your pegs, as who uses clothes pegs on one of these? Surely they're used more on washing lines outside? However, the sock rails I like, as I'm fed up of having my sock on my radiators.

Another thing I like it the size. It's big. Which means I get hang my t-shirts on it to dry with ease. Previous aureus of mine have been frustratingly small, by only 2 or 3 cm, meaning my T-shirts would never quite fit on and lie flat to dry. Annoying.

The Pegasus resolves that problem though, meaning my t-shirts can dry crease free, thus reducing my ironing.

It also comes with 5 coat hangers. And not just any old coat hangers but super sturdy plastic ones, with the bonus of having little tie-rack on each. These aren't the best quality clothes hangers I've come across (they're not wood) but they are amongst the best quality, and they are certainly the best designed - making them a welcome addition.

They're included because along each outer end of the Pegasus' extended arms, the metal railing is bent into a zig-zag shape. This gives the hangers and therefor your shirts somewhere to sit securely. However, this does make the outside edges rather redundant for anything other than coat hangers - and you'll have to put your T-shirts on a hanger to dry them in this area.

One thing that does concern me are that the hinges are made of plastic and I'm not sure how long they'll last with my cats using this thing as a climbing frame. I have to say it does seem a lot of money to fork out for an airer too. So overall, what do I think.

Pros:
Sock rack
Good size
Free coat hangers
Zig Zag wiring for coat hangers

Cons:
Price
Plastic hinges

Conclusion:
I do like it, and it almost (but not quite gets 3 stars). The pros do out way the cons by quite a long way, but price is a factor and at the end of the day, it's still just something to hang your clothes on while they dry.

V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphones - Gunmetal Black
V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphones - Gunmetal Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget beats by Dre., 21 Sep 2014
These are a good set of headphones but they are not without fault. I love the look of them and are certainly built to last, the build quality is excellent.

They come with a nice protective hard-case too, which has a faux snake skin finish and is lined with red felt inside. Also inside is a clip and two leads used to connect the phones to your devices (one is a standard lead, the other has a mic for use with your smartphone). These both have your standard small jack input at each end and just plug in and out of the left earphone. The cables are very durable too.

What I particularly like about them though, is the ability to customise them by changing the metal plates on the headphones. For around twenty quid you can choose new colours and even send them off to get them engraved with a name, logo or design.

Sound-wise, they take a bit of time to break in but do sound good, the only thing is I find them quite uncomfortable to wear. In fact, my ears start to hurt even after short periods of listening because their grip is vicelike and clamp down on your ears; and I think that's their only fault.

There are headphones that sound better, there are some that are more comfortable, but I don't think there are any that look a good. I'd love to be able to give them 5 stars but can't but only because of the problems with comfort, so I'm going to give them four instead.

Lumie Zest Combination Light Therapy - Portable SAD Lamp and Wake-up Light to Improve Energy and Mood

3.0 out of 5 stars Still not 100% convinced., 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had a few of these over the years. I think this is the third "Wake Up" light I've bent sent to review now. And out of all of them this is probably the best. But that's not to say it doesn't have its problems.

It suffers from the same problem they all had: It's extremely ugly. But that seems to be a general problem with this type of alarm. However, the other lights (by Phillips) made a better attempt at trying to come up with a nice design - they just failed. At least this doesn't make any attempts to look glamorous and I think it's all the better for it because its kept the size down.

That was one of the main issues with the others I reviewed - they were huge. This is quite compact and all the better for it. In fact, the makers claim it is almost a 'travel' item (i.e. you can take it with on holiday etc) and I wouldn't disagree with that. It is small and compact enough to be stuck in a bag.

Do they work though? It's hard to say. Yes they wake you up, but I'm not sure I feel any more refreshed. I still feel sluggish in the morning and want to sleep in a longer. And I'm not a SAD sufferer, but I haven't noticed the SAD light making me feel any better.

The unit has a magnetic stand which is kinda cool. And the light is adjustable so you can personalise your 'sunset'. There's also the option of traditional beeping alarm should you prefer it though (which kinda also shows a lack of confidence in the item on the manufacturers part is you ask me).

There's a timer for bright light therapy sessions and a selection of light levels from 20% to 100% and the clock display is dimmable which is good, as they can have a tendency to light up the whole room when you're trying to get to sleep.

Overall, I like the concept of these 'wake up' lights but have still yet to be convinced they really work. They take quite a bit of getting used to, as you'll find it hard to trust you won't oversleep without the beep of an alarm jolting you awake.

Airfix Quick Build Lamborghini Aventador Car Model Kit
Airfix Quick Build Lamborghini Aventador Car Model Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars A cool little item and nice desktop motivator., 19 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
While I am sick to death of the Lego-based films, toys, computer games and everything else under the sun flooding the market at the moment, I have to admit is quite a cool little item. And although it isn't exactly Lego, is totally is - in fact, I wonder how the hell AirFix have got away with this without being sued; because, as I say, it isn't Lego, it's AirFix "Quick build" which to all intents and purposes work exactly the same.

You get a box full of panels which fit to a chassis in a Lego stylee. The chassis is covered in little round bumps (just like Lego) and the panels just click on. The level of detail is pretty good, with a seat, plastic windows, steering wheel, engine block, rubber tyres and rims. There's 32 parts which click together and in under 5 minutes, and in just 33 easy steps (thats all it takes to build) you've got your very own Lamborghini Aventador to put on your desk (as motivation to work hard so one day you can buy the real thing).

1Byone Wireless HDMI WiFi Dongle iShare Videos Images Docs Live Camera Musics from All Smart Devices to TV, Monitor or Projector
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome alternative to Apple AirPlay, 18 Sep 2014
The iShare is a pretty nifty device. It quickly and easily allows you to turn your everyday TVs into smart TVs, so you can stream content from another device (laptop, tablet or phone) onto your screen; working, essentially, like Apple's airplay - for those of you who are familiar with what that is.

It couldn't be easier to use. All it is is a dongle which slots into an HDMI port in your telly. You then download some software and you're good to go. For the reasonably tech-savvy, it's installation will cause no problem at all, and you'll soon be watching YouTube clips of kittens and people falling off skateboards in no time at all.

In the box you get the dongle (which comes with a protective cap to cover the HDMI connection) which is a slim design and looks very nice, instructions and leads. It supports full HD video and the box says there is no direct line of site required between your device and the WiFi dongle.

The unit works with IOS5 or above (iTunes 10.1 or newer) though, if you already have Apple TV you won't need it. However, if you own a windows PC of android device, this will make a great addition to your home and works with Android devices 4.0 or newer and runs on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

This item was given to me free to test and review by its manufacturer, 1ByOne.

[Apple MFI Certified] 1Byone Lightning to USB Cable 3.28ft (1M) for iPhone 6 6 Plus, iPhone 5/5s/5c, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, iPad Air, iPod nano 7th Gen and iPod touch 5th Generation
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice as an Apple but cheap as chips., 18 Sep 2014
This charge cable is a welcome addition to my Apple arsenal. I've been using it at work and it is more than up to the job. The quality is excellent and I have no hesitation in recommending it to you if you're looking for a replacement lead, or even (like me) just one to use elsewhere.

It is 1 meter in length, giving you plenty of length to play with and manoeuvre round objects and has a slightly more textured feel than my other Apple leads.

It's branded with the 1ByOne logo and suitable for the iPhone 5, 5s and newer iPad such as the iPad 4, iPad Air and iPad Mini. I can also be used with the iPod Nano (7th gen) and the iPod Touch (5th gen).

For the sake of transparency, I should point out that this item was supplied to me free of charge for review, but this has not affected my opinion of the product at all. I think it's a very good lead. It's as nice as any Apple lead but cheap as chips.

Busy B Baby B Mini Album - Boy Blue
Busy B Baby B Mini Album - Boy Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic but a nice idea, 16 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first, I found this item is a bit disappointing really. I hoped I'd be getting a nice quality album to put baby photos in, but instead all I got was a flimsy photo-booklet - not dissimilar to the ones you used to get free from the developers when you got your holiday snaps developed.

It only holds 24 photos (so what's that? About one role of film) and arrived in a Amazon packaging so thin, I though it was a DVD (Amazon review films are sent out without a case in a plastic sleeve).

The cover is flimsy cardboard, though the finish of the book itself is quite nice (with a ribbon tie and ribbon detailing running thought its spine).

However, on closer inspection I saw this is actually designed to be given away by parents to grandparent etc., as opposed to being a place to keep photos for themselves. Which I guess is a nice gesture and, for that it works well.

That's why I'm going to up my rating from 3 stars (my initial judgement based on it being a baby photo album for parents) to 4 stars (for it being quite a nice idea and thoughtful gift to give to close relatives).

GOODOGS TREAT Dogs Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS TREAT Dogs Snack for Dogs, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Training treats for dogs., 15 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a little Jack Russle at work and I used to buy an extra sausage with my breakfast in the morning to feed him, but his owner put a stop to that because they made his farts smell. Now, come lunch, is always hanging around begging for food which I can't give him.

I tried some other treats from Caprice which Badger loves, so I thought I'd give these a whirl as well. These too, have been a huge hit. Mind you, he will eat absolutely anything, including his own poo.

They come in a little container which is the perfect size to keep on your desk. The lid pops off and inside are doggie treats, which are perfect for smaller size terriers and seem to be optimised to be bite-sized snacks for training. There's only 23% protein in them (the other snacks were 60% pork) which is a bit worrying, but Badger doesn't seem to care.

He's beyond training though, so I just give them to him as a treat at lunch which he seems very grateful for. Minus one star for the lower protein content.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20