Profile for The Truth > Reviews

Content by The Truth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 194

The Truth "How it is" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
eSynic® Full Steel 8GB Digital Voice Recorder - With MP3 Function and USB 2.0 High Speed Gray - Perfect for Recording Interviews and Meetings
Offered by EsynicDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget voice recording., 30 Jun. 2015
It's a bit of a strange one this. As a digital voice recorder, it is small, compact and works fine. It's also very affordable. However, for such a slim, sleek unit it is incredibly heavy. It's bizarre.

Also, in this day and age, I'm not sure why anyone would buy one of these as most smart phones have voice recorders integrated into them which do a better job in my opinion.

It's OK. It's cheap and cheerful and does the job, but don't expect incredible quality and the more advanced features found on more expensive models.

AmazonBasics Everyday Double Fitted Sheet, Green
AmazonBasics Everyday Double Fitted Sheet, Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 28 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A no frills bedsheet. Nothing more to add really. Does what you want it too. Not a fan of the colour but that's down to individual choice.

Interstellar [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Interstellar [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't understand a word he said..., 22 Jun. 2015
Basically, half the time, I had no idea what the hell was going on in this film because of Matthew McConna-however-you-spell-it's garbled accent. It was the same with True Detective; I couldn't understand a word of what he said. It was the same in this instance, and without being able to understand what is being said I was just left to guess at what was going on.

Visually, I found it quite bland and boring too. The pace, too, was a little slow for me and the robots were rubbish - they looked like they came out of a 70s TV Sci-fi series, like Buck Rogers or BSG, except the effects were better in the 70s (at least in some instances)... The story took ages to unfold and, although I liked the final idea, or twist if you want to call it that, the film as a whole failed to hold my attention. Interstellar goes inter the rubbish pile for me.

The Strategy Builder: How to Create and Communicate More Effective Strategies
The Strategy Builder: How to Create and Communicate More Effective Strategies
by Stephen Cummings

4.0 out of 5 stars A first rate read., 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, what a great book. It's a big hardback with a lovely cover and immediately you get the impression of quality. Its contents are nicely presented, too, in a way that feels fun and informative. It takes a very visual approach to the subject which looks good and works well; and it's a way of taking stuff in that really suits me.

There's a lot to digest here on quite a complex subject, and I haven't really read enough yet to comment on the contents, but if first impressions are anything to go by, it'll be a goldmine.

Leifheit Linomatic M400 85245 Rotary Dryer
Leifheit Linomatic M400 85245 Rotary Dryer
Offered by MyToolStore

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaves other airers in the shade., 11 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing that struck me about this clothes dryer was how light it was. I was expecting it to be really heavy, but when it arrived I was able to lift and carry it with one hand and with ease.

However, that's far from the most impressive aspect of this item; that title goes to the ingenious way the lines are sucked back into the arms when it's collapsed.

It really is a neat feature, excellently executed. It keeps the lines nice a clean, stopping them collecting dirt and redistributing it to your freshly cleaned sheets while drying them.

This will become one of those products you get a little buzz from each time you use it, because it's so clever and well executed.

Osomount 360 Flex Universal In-Car Dashboard Windscreen Mount Holder for Smartphones
Offered by Zero 50 Retail Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and works well., 4 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautifully designed, top quality item. The mount is easily attached to your window or dashboard via a patented suction cup which is controlled with a quick-flick lever; the lever is hidden seamlessly in the body of the mount when in the down (attached) position.

The suction cup is coated in a sticky substance for further grip which can be washed and made re-sticky with soap and watere. And, if for some reason the suction cup doesn't work (say if the dashboard is slightly textured, letting air in), a sticky adhesive base is also supplied.

The clasp which holds the phone in place is fully adjustable and works via a spring; you just push the clasp open, slip your phone in, and it springs back into place to securely hold your phone.

The stand is not quite perfect though. I's biggest problem (big being the operative word) is the size of it. Personally, I feel the stand is a little too big for my small car however it would be great in a car with a larger dash.

Overall, it's a top quality product, that's well made and beautifully designed.

Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre
Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars Does this blender make the cut?, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whether or not this is right but of kit for depends what you want from it.

If you want a blender/smoothie maker, I say go for it - it's up to the job! But don't get it twisted - this does not do the same job as a juicer.

I used to be a fan of smoothies but now I've discovered juicing, and this type of blender just doesn't cut it for me (no pun intended) when it comes to making drinks.

It's great as a tool in the kitchen, and if you want to make smoothies, though. It's simple to use and easy to clean.

I'm not a huge fan of its looks (I don't like the big button on its front) but it's more than up to the task asked of it.

The 150ml Pure Screen Cleaner Kit contains only Eco-Friendly, Bio Degradable and Hypo Allergenic ingredients. NO artificial chemicals. NO alcohol. Gentle and Natural removal of all dust, dirt, fingerprints, marks and stains from LED, LCD, Plasma TV, iPhone, Samsung, Sony, Smartphones, iMac, Laptop, Computers, Touch Screens and CD's to leave them gleaming clean.
Offered by VinylClear

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco & Animal Friendly - it Cleans Screens and Saves Bunnies, 21 May 2015
I'm a stickler for the rules, so let me first just say that I was sent Pure Value's Pure Screen Cleaner free of charge for review purposes. However, my opening sentence should tell you I'm a pretty honest guy (heck, my reviewer name's The Truth), so I won't let let that colour my judgement. I'll tell you exactly how it is.

And how it is is this: It's a 5 star product. And for a number of reasons. Firstly, it works. I followed the instructions and cleaned my iPad, iPhone, Mac and 50" TV with this stuff and it removed the finger smears and streaks from all of them. I followed the instructions and applied a few squirts to the micro-fibre cloth (which comes with the cleaner), cleaned my screens, then wiped them down again with the dry side of the micro-fibre cloth and they were left clean-as-a-whistle.

The second reason I've given this item 5 stars is because of the inclusion of said cloth. The micro fibres are the ideal material to clean screens without scratching them and including it in the deal is a nice touch. It's also very big. It's certainly not a stingy little wipe and about the size of a flannel.

However, the main reason this product gets 5 stars is because of the company ethos. The cleaner came with a load of 'gumph' explaining how it was made, which is, in England, under one roof, using locally sourced, organic ingredients, and with as little impact on the environment as possible. Now that has to be applauded.

What should not only be applauded, however, and deserves and full-on parade down the high street with brass band and floats, is the fact that, in no way, does this product involve any sort of animal testing. Well done guys. Well done.

So 5 stars it is. An easy 5 stars in fact. If only more products lived up to the hype and their name, and more companies held the same values as Pure Values do, the world would be a better place. Gentleman, I salute you!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's early days but it's a bit of s let down so far., 19 May 2015
So I've been waiting for this game for ages and finally, it's here. Sadly, it hasn't grabbed me like other games of a similar ilk (namely, Skyrim and oblivion) have. Still, it's only day one - so I may come back and alter my rating in a few days time.

For now though - it's getting 3 stars (which means is OK as far as the Amazon star rating system goes) and here's why.

I'm finding the controls really frustrating. Manoeuvring my character round town, he constantly gets stuck on obstacles - a problem common in a lot of games viewed in the third person, and I'm finding the controls in general clunky and unintuitive. Also, I hit the edge of the world almost immediately (first side quest) and was "transported" to an area on the map I hadn't explored yet; this, I was very surprised about. I was surprised that 1) that it happened so soon, and 2) that I wasn't I just left to wander back under my own steam? Going to a black screen ruined the "realism" and immersive experience of the game, and taking me sometwher I hadn't discovered yet for myself, robbed me of that experience.

Another point: The combat comes thick and fast, without giving you a second to get ready and gather your thoughts. I suppose this is realistic, but to me, it just feels like I keep getting hit with sucker punches and it's wearing thin. This might not be such a problem once I'm more at ease with the controls, but at the moment, pause to try and work out how to cast a spell and you're dead meat.

Another thing that annoyed me slightly, there's a stupid in-game card game (called Gwent). This is a personal thing, but I've never much liked these in-game games, as they never seem to make sense to me and the tutorials for them are weak. They just hold up the game play for me rather than ad depth.

Finally, the text on screen is extremely small and hard to read and the combat seems overly complicated. It's also crashed and frozen a few times which is frustrating.

So that's the negatives - what of the positives?

The game came with a load of extras, like a map, a CD of the soundtrack and lots of DLC; I didn't pre-order, just bought it from my local store so that might annoy the people who pre-ordered, but for everyone, it's awesome and the developers should be applauded.

The game looks stunning, but that's not enough and so far, as I've said, it's failed to wow me in any way other than how it looks. I've spotted a few bugs too. I've had another day of playing today, and my opinion of it remains the same.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2015 12:37 PM BST

Wahl Rex Mini Pro Corded Pet Trimmer
Wahl Rex Mini Pro Corded Pet Trimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars A right dog's dinner, 6 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow. What a let down. When this item arrived, it arrived brilliantly packaged and with its very own protective hard case to keep your clippers in. Awesome! I thought - this looks like a great quality item... then I opened it.

Inside the hard case was a set of clippers, a pair of scissors, one clipper guard and some oil, just flopping about inside. No foam inlay to keep things in place, everything was just chucked in there and left lose to slop about.

Worst of all, the case could have been a third of the size - especially without any sort of inlay for the items its mean to hold. What a disappointment.

The clippers are OK in themselves, and the little paw prints clearly identify it for use with pets (so you won't get mixed up when cutting the kids' hair) but all in all, this item left me feeling really let down. It set it self up for greatness with that nice hard case but just didn't deliver.

And the fact that there was only one length of clipper guard included just added insult to injury. The clippers themselves are good quality but the peripheral items let this product down.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20