Profile for The Truth > Reviews

Content by The Truth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 200

The Truth "How it is" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AVANTEK 15''-17'' Laptop Cooling Pad with Speed Regulation from 800 to 1350 RPM & One Ultralarge Fan
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great. Works well., 28 July 2015
If you place a lot of demand on your laptop it starts to overheat. And when this starts to happen it not both uncomfortable to use and rather worrying too. Enter Avantek with their super-cool (no pun intended) laptop cooling stand.

I have thoroughly tested this stand now and like it a lot. It is very quiet and very cool. And I mean cool in both senses of the word. The fan is USB powered and helps keep your laptop's temperature under control, and what's more, it lights up blue - which looks awesome.

The stand is height adjustable and a USB cable is cleverly integrated into the units underside, ready to be pulled out and plugged in when in use. Then tucked back out the way when not. Overall, a very cool and funky product.

Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Hand Nail Clipper
Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Hand Nail Clipper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as they look., 26 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love the look of these nail clippers (the dark, unpolished steel and grey patterned handle makes them look very manly), but there are also a few things I'm not so keen on.

For instance, when you flip the patterned handle over for use, the finish on it is a little rough. Also, the clipper's movement feels a little gratey and could be smoother.

Also, I feel they're a little bit small. Although the clippers are sharp and cut cleanly through my nails without issue, size-wise, I think they're more suited to fingernails rather than toenails.

I really do like the look of them though.

MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 990 g - Strawberry
MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 990 g - Strawberry

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice taste. Blends well., 24 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This stuff has a nice flavour and blends well when mixed in a maxi-muscle shaker. Whether or not supplements like this help build muscle or burn fat is open to debate, but I always use them to try and maximise my gains and I'd be happy to buy this from the shop.

Copy, Copy, Copy: How to Do Smarter Marketing by Using Other People's Ideas
Copy, Copy, Copy: How to Do Smarter Marketing by Using Other People's Ideas
by Mark Earls

4.0 out of 5 stars The concept feels a bit forced but the book is useful., 23 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this book is trying to be revilutionarty and shocking; that's given the concept behind it and its overall look. If that's the case, I t doesn't really achieve it's mission in my opinion. Much as I quite like the look and layout of it, it's design feels a bit dated to me. And the concept of 'copying' is nothing new.

That's its biggest let down in my opinion. It tries to present the idea of copying work as something ew and radical - however, anyone with any sort or creative flair, will know copying is nothing new and, indeed, it' some of the cornerstones of creativity. I, myself, have written dozens of blogs on the matter.

Also, I think it has a very loose idea of what copying is. Copying is not, in my opinion, "standing on the shoulder of giants" which the book states. These are two distinctly different things and I feel that comparisons like that weaken the books core message. However, it is a message still worth listening too - because as the book explains, copying is a key factor in creative thought.

Leaving those small points aside, on the whole, I did find the book useful. I also quite liked the way it was written, which, being a copywriter myself, is unusual as I usually pick the page apart.

There's a bit of 'fluff' at the start talking about Newton, Shakespeare and other well-known copycats which I could have done without - but I understand why it's included even if it's not necessary. Once past that though, you will find the book interesting and helpful. There are 52 examples of workable strategies for you to use as frameworks and tweak and on the whole, I think the book is pretty good.

It's not perfect, but it's a worthwhile addition to the Advertising, Marketing and Strategy section of my bookshelf. I just feel the whole "Copy, Copy, Copy" concept feels a bit forced and perhaps isn't as tight and clever as the author perhaps thinks.

Philips Avent Classic+ Newborn Starter Set SCD371/00
Philips Avent Classic+ Newborn Starter Set SCD371/00

4.0 out of 5 stars And ideal starter kit., 21 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This set isn't that different from the other Avent bottle sets I've been sent in the past to review, except it states on the box there are now fewer parts making the bottles even quicker to clean and reassemble.

Otherwise, they have a similar ergonomic shape which make them stable of the table and easy for baby to hold, the same valve system in the teat which is designed to reduce colic, and the kit comes with the same additional cleaning brush too - to help you scrub out the bottles.

There are four in all in this set; they come in varying sizes - two 260ml/9oz bottles and two 125ml/4oz bottles. You also get a dummy thrown in too for good measure.

The bottles and bottles' flow can all be customised with additional Avent fixtures and fittings like handles and different sized teats, so they should last you as long as you (or baby) needs.

PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel Pet Fountain
PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel Pet Fountain

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but still lots of room for improvement., 19 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The good news is, I've had quite a few of these types of drinking fountains (this is probably about my 5th). Some I've bought, some I've been sent to review, so you're going to get a somewhat 'expert' review of this item. The bad news is, I can tell you now, I still don't think the drinking fountain design has been nailed and that this model - just like all the others - is still not perfect.

But let's start with the good. And that is, the fountain part of this fountain (that is, the flowing mechanism and how it flows as a whole) works very well. This is a waterfall type fountain, in the truest sense, rather than the stream type of flows - which my cats much prefer - and it replicates running tap water pretty well.

You get a choice of 5 fountain nossels included with it which allow you to customise the fountain spout to produce either 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 streams of water. I opted for 3 - it worked best positioning wise for my fountains setting, and the single stream was a bit messy and noisy (this is one of the bad points). I also like the fact that the flow of the streams could be adjusted very easily with a simple twist; this is a feature which, in past fountains, involved adjusting the pump internally.

While we're on the subject of the pump, it's a lot quieter than some of my last fountains which is a definite bonus - as they can be quite noisy. And the charcoal filter is a lot easier to change. It also includes an additional, external, foam filter to prevent residue like fur collecting inside the pump, which has been an issue for me before. So again, things have improved here, too.

However, the major problem with this pump and the first thing you'll notice about it, is its size. To be fair, none of these types of drinking fountains have been small - but this is enormous. I mean it's huge. It's got to be about 12 inches in diameter and about 5 or 6 inches in height. That's bigger than any of the others I've owned and a big step up from an normal water bowl. And there doesn't really seem to be any reason for it, as the pump itself is very compact.

As with all of these drinking fountains, cleaning is going to be a bit of a pain and dismantling it is going to be a pain and a lot more hassle than other ones I've owned. I also doubt it's going to fit into the sink or the dishwasher so I'm not sure what I'm going to do - wash it in the bath maybe?

And this is its major downfall. It's size. If it was smaller, even with its other problems it would have got 4 stars. But because it's SO big, I'm going to give it 3 stars and hopefully, the next fountain I get, I'll love as much as my cats do.

Coding For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
Coding For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
by Nikhil Abraham

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Technical Made Learnable (or HTML for short), 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As far as I can remember, this is the first "For Dummies" book I've ever read, and I must admit, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's quite a hard topic this deals with but it does so well.

It's well written and clear because it really does assume you are stupid (and in this field, that's exactly the approach I need) so it breaks everything down step by step, piece by piece.

Best of all, it guides you to a couple of websites that lets you try out what you're learning, which is great. Books aren't really my preferred format of learning (it just goes in one eye and out the other) but by being able to "do" you're not just dealing in theory and stuff stays in your head.

All in all, a good introduction to the subject which has left me with some practical skills and knowledge I can take and apply into my everyday life. It's been a beneficial read and I'm going to push through this book and complete it.

Science in Sport 1 kg Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
Science in Sport 1 kg Chocolate Whey Protein Powder

5.0 out of 5 stars Gulp it and gain!, 10 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whether or not these type of post-workout supplements work, I do not know. However, I and many other people still use them in the hope of squeezing the most out of our workouts and increasing our gains.

With that in mind I found this Whey Protein to be nice tasting, easy to mix, and well priced (even though I got it free to review).

It mixes well with the use of a shaker and I'd certainly consider buying it off the shelf for myself to use in the future.

ESYNiC Full Steel 8GB Digital Voice Recorder - With MP3 Function and USB 2.0 High Speed Gray - Perfect for Recording Interviews and Meetings
Offered by EsynicDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget voice recording., 30 Jun. 2015
It's a bit of a strange one this. As a digital voice recorder, it is small, compact and works fine. It's also very affordable. However, for such a slim, sleek unit it is incredibly heavy. It's bizarre.

Also, in this day and age, I'm not sure why anyone would buy one of these as most smart phones have voice recorders integrated into them which do a better job in my opinion.

It's OK. It's cheap and cheerful and does the job, but don't expect incredible quality and the more advanced features found on more expensive models.

AmazonBasics Everyday Double Fitted Sheet, Green
AmazonBasics Everyday Double Fitted Sheet, Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 28 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A no frills bedsheet. Nothing more to add really. Does what you want it too. Not a fan of the colour but that's down to individual choice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20