Profile for Spikella > Reviews

Content by Spikella

Spikella

Murder Incorporated (A Scott Griffin Thriller Omnibus)
Murder Incorporated (A Scott Griffin Thriller Omnibus)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characters and three for one!, 3 April 2013
A great omnibus. I especially enjoyed the Nightwatchman, such an intriguing conspiracy. I hadn't read Scott Griffin, but found he had done his research. He includes strong characters and all the twists and bends I'd expect from a good thriller. The best bit - three books in one go! The Benefactor plays on very real fears about information dissemination and how much we actually give away about ourselves online. The Donor is more of a traditional suspense thriller. If you're a thriller/crime reader then I'd recommend Griffin. Very real people in surreal situations.

The I.T. Girl
The I.T. Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent romance novel, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The I.T. Girl (Kindle Edition)
Orla is smart, feisty and and flying-high in a high-pressured job in London's finance district. She has moved from Ireland and is taking a chance on a new city, and on a new love when she starts up a romance with one of her co-workers - the mysterious Columbus. She works hard and plays hard but when a mistake is made in one of her codes, her job is suddenly in jeopardy. Stressed out and desperately clinging to her career, she takes her anger out on `Columbus' - which threatens to ruin her love life as well as her career.

This is an intelligent romance novel for the 21st century - Orla is a successful intelligent woman, who is independent and able to live on her own, but who also comes to realise that life is better when you have someone to share it with.

Happy to be Single: The Pleasures of Independence
Happy to be Single: The Pleasures of Independence

5.0 out of 5 stars Human Stories and a Boost of Self-confidence, 18 Mar 2013
I'm not usually the type to pick up a book like this. However, being recently single and a little unsure about what that means anymore, I sought out something to read. What I liked about this book is the layout. Liz uses personal experiences and those of others to make it more of a conversation. She manages to find opinions on `being single' from a variety of different situations and as a result I think makes her material more accessible. Whatever your situation though, Liz has a fundamental message, and that is how to approach `happiness' as a single person. Her examples are especially good for those who haven't experienced being single for some time. This is a very human book that made me feel more confident about my situation without preaching.

The Age to Come: Authenticity, Post-Modernism and How To Survive What Comes Next

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking read., 18 Mar 2013
David Boyle's Age to Come is a thought provoking read looking at different movements including modernism, post-modernism and the new Stuckism movement. He also discusses how government, education and business will have to change and adapt in the future. He argues that a growing minority of people are trying to break away from the 'ideals' of modern society - rebelling against big chain stores in the search for local, natural products. Although I did not agree with all his arguments (I am not sure Beyoncé lip-syncing the US National Anthem symbolised the end of post-modernism) his writing was engaging and I would thoroughly recommend this book.

Sword of Rome: Alesia
Sword of Rome: Alesia

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot., 14 Mar 2013
Very funny in places (the French don't always come off well) and you seldom have to wait for action to come along. It's unlikely you or the author will consider this his magnus opus but story, history, characters and dialogue hit the spot for me. Series would be even better if books were novels rather than novellas.

Sword of Rome: Standard Bearer
Sword of Rome: Standard Bearer

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced Roman action, 7 Mar 2013
This book was recommended by a blogger and at first I was a little wary of reading it as I had no previous knowledge about Rome and thought I would not understand it, however, I was pleasantly surprised. The narrative flowed easily and there are a lot more jokes peppering things other works of historical fiction The book includes fast paced action scenes and although at times the story weaves in History intelligently, this short kindle read is for from demanding.

Ocean Strike
Ocean Strike

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-Paced and Gripping, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ocean Strike (Kindle Edition)
I'm a fan of Damien's books and this one doesn't fail to deliver. Involving some of the scariest villains and one of the most thought-provoking plots. The Special Boat Squadron sent in to stop the attack on Britain has those strong and daring characters that I've come to love in Damien's books. These are no-nonsense men, with courage and a frightening amount of adrenaline. Ocean Strike is perfect for those who like military thrillers and characters who go to extreme lengths to prevent chaos.

Waking Dreams
Waking Dreams

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and Dark, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Waking Dreams (Kindle Edition)
A really interesting book involving a very complex character. Ben's life is less than easy, but his dream world appears to be more real than reality. The antagonists in this story are creepy and malevolent. A psychological thriller with a twist. It reminded me of films like `Momento' and `Inception'. Dark turns and shadows, making you think about what we think is real. A dark book, not one to read to late at night. Great for fans of books about augmented reality. I also empathised with Ben more and more throughout the book. It will leave you chilled and thoughtful.

London Call-Out: Confessions Of A Doctor In The Capital
London Call-Out: Confessions Of A Doctor In The Capital

4.0 out of 5 stars `Easy, entertaining read', 1 Mar 2013
This book recounts some extraordinary tales from a call-out Doctor in London. I hope these are all real, but some of them are really crazy and had me questioning how I would cope in their shoes. Funny and uplifting this is an easy, entertaining read.