Profile for Mr. Stephen Reid > Reviews

Content by Mr. Stephen Reid

Mr. Stephen Reid (Liverpool, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Tax Avoidance, A practical guide for UK residents
Tax Avoidance, A practical guide for UK residents

5.0 out of 5 stars they should know!, 5 Dec. 2012
Right tax avoidance. Here's the trick. First, and this is very important, get some really sharp legal types (believe it or not there's a few out there if you know which rocks to turn over). These guys will help you find loop-holes in the tax system of the economy you wish to exploit (sorry, I mean operate in), and are a stone bargain at a couple of million quid a pop - hey they'll even help you write it off! Second get yourself a good P.R outfit who will spread the word that you're "changing the face of retailing" and are helping "the little guy". Now you can really go to town. Charge all in-house expenses at exorbitant rates, but farmed out to offshore branches, paying little or no tax. Make everything look like a loss on paper and before you know it you will have put your competition (square-dealing, tax-paying dinosaurs) to the sword. Then when you've got a monopoly position in the market, charge what you like. God,I love this business!

Tax Avoidance
Tax Avoidance
by Rebecca Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars How its done., 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Tax Avoidance (Hardcover)
Here's the trick. First, and this is very important, get some really sharp legal types (believe it or not there's a few out there if you know which rocks to turn over). These guys will help you find loop-holes in the tax system of the economy you wish to exploit (sorry, I mean operate in), and are a stone bargain at a couple of million quid a pop - hey they'll even help you write it off! Second get yourself a good P.R outfit who will spread the word that you're "changing the face of retailing" and are helping "the little guy". Now you can really go to town. Charge all in-house expenses at exorbitant rates, but farmed out to offshore branches, paying little or no tax. Make everything look like a loss on paper and before you know it you will have put your competition (square-dealing, tax-paying dinosaurs) to the sword. Then when you've got a monopoly position in the market, charge what you like. God,I love tHis business!

Give 'Em Enough Rope
Give 'Em Enough Rope

5.0 out of 5 stars They gave us enough rope!, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Give 'Em Enough Rope (Audio CD)
"Give 'Em Enough Rope", The Clash's second album, was a far more polished offering than their raw, raucous debut. Producer Sandy Pearlman brought a clean, metallic sound to the punk combo which wasn't appreciated by critics at the time. I love it however, and think that Pearlman's disciplined approach suited to a tee the short, angry, amphetamine fuelled classics Strummer & Jones were cranking out at this time. This is my favourite Clash album of them all. If you want to buy it (and you really should) you shouldn't buy it from Amazon. Why? Because if The Clash were about one thing, they were about social justice. If you understand this you understand The Clash. Amazon has shamelessly abrogated its tax responsibilities to this country, an attitude which I would bet , would apall Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper. Remember The Clash were the band who cared about their fans, even to the point of losing money in order to keep album prices low. Please don't buy this (or indeed anything) from Amazon UK until they face up to their fiscal responsibility.

London Calling
London Calling

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what The Clash were all about!, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: London Calling (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this album, I own everything they ever released. "London Calling" is generally considered to be their masterpiece. It was originally released as a double album sold for the price of a single one. It contains some of their finest moments, but you shouldn't buy it from Amazon. Why? Because if The Clash were about one thing, they were about social justice. If you understand this you understand The Clash. Amazon has shamelessly abrogated its tax responsibilities to this country, an attitude which I would bet my soul would apall Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper. Remember The Clash were the band who cared about their fans, even to the point of losing money in order to keep album prices low. Please don't buy this (or indeed anything) from Amazon UK until they face up to their fiscal responsibility. Thanks.

Work Your Wardrobe: Gok's Gorgeous Guide to Style that Lasts
Work Your Wardrobe: Gok's Gorgeous Guide to Style that Lasts
by Gok Wan

5.0 out of 5 stars Gok 5 Amazon 0, 20 Nov. 2012
Gok Wan is a much loved style guru, working wonders on the wardbrobes of ordinary people and, from what I have seen and heard of him (and from people I know who have met him), I'd be willing to wager that Gok would be aghast at having his book sold by tax avoiding (sorry, minimalising) outfits such as Amazon (zero corporation tax on £3 billion plus sales). Please buy this book from an outlet which isn't cheating both the treasury (and by implication schools, hospitals, emergency services etc.) and Amazon's tax-paying competitors. I'm sure Gok would thank you for it.

Russell Hobbs 13824-10 Mini Kitchen with Convection Oven and Two Hot Plates - 3000 W
Offered by Electric Goods

5.0 out of 5 stars its not just about cooking y'know, 20 Nov. 2012
Like pretty much everyone I love food. I also love my wife, she is an amazing cook but she has some strange notions concerning social responsibility, and the duty we all must shoulder in these harsh economic times. Anyway, I was browsing Amazon (as you do) when I saw the most amazing gift for her for. A shared gift, something we could get much use from - a Russell Hobbs Mini Kitchen & Convection Oven. Just the ticket. Ordered it, bought it and presented it to my lovely lady, waiting for her reaction. It wasn't long in coming. "Gorgeous!", she squealed, "You're so thoughtful! How did you know? It's just what I've always wanted. Come to me now you wonderful, thoughtful man!". She edged closer to me, her lips parted seductively, a tigerish smile playing across her adoring face. Then, she noticed me nervously closing the lap-top. "What's this?" she growled, "Where'd you get this from?". My twitching silence encouraged her further. "Amazon!" she spat, "You do know these people are fleecing the British public, by paying no corporation tax on over £3 billion worth of sales? You do know as well as robbing the Treasury, avoiding funding hospitals, schools, and everything us tax payers support - they also use this dodgy, legal but totally immoral loophole to give them an unfair advantage on all the other straight-dealing traders out there who pay the requisite amount of tax.". I turned to her beautiful face pleadingly, but it was too late.She looked at me scornfully "And to think I trusted you. You aren't the man I married and that's for sure. I'm going back to my mother. Goodbye loser!". Thanks to Amazon's free-wheeling attitude to tax I'm now sleeping in my car, and living on PotNoodles made using the hot water from my radiator. Do the right thing Amazon, pay the appropriate taxes.

Geoff Boycott: A Cricketing Hero
Geoff Boycott: A Cricketing Hero
by Leo McKinstry

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected.., 19 Nov. 2012
Not being much of a cricketing type, but being quite well up on financial chicanery, I was very disappointed to find that "Boycott" didn't refer to the popular response to the actions of a certain multinational company (hint, Amazon), which failed to pay any corporation tax at all on its £3 Billion plus sales. It was instead a very entertaining account of the life of a a very successful batsman (who incidently paid his taxes). Great book, buy it somewhere else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2013 10:00 PM BST

Boycott: The Autobiography
Boycott: The Autobiography
by Geoff Boycott

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected.., 19 Nov. 2012
Not knowing the first thing about cricket(but being fairly well up on multi-national tax dodgers), you can only imagine my surprise, when I picked up this volume and found that, instead of it being a handbook on how to deal with the groundswell of anger and the boycotting of a massive company paying zero corporation tax on £3Billion plus sales, it was a book about a cricketer (admitedly a great one, who also never dodged a penny in taxes). I feel robbed (just like the average British taxpayer).

Changing Horses
Changing Horses
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% pure Cotton, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Changing Horses (Audio CD)
Confession. This album was released in 1990 and, to my eternal shame, I only bought my copy in late 2012 (and to think I call myself a Poco fan). In my defence, I've only been on this InterWeb thing since early 2011, so I didn't really know of the album's existence (much like you dear reader). Around the time of its release Amazon didn't exist (being just a gleam in some tax-avoiding accountant's piggy eye), there wasn't even an internet as such, and I should know I was a high-flying I.T. consultant at the time. I used to spend my extended lunch breaks not like my colleagues, knocking back tequila slammers in dimly lit dives, but spending fruitless hours scouring record shops (both the Megas and the little indies) for treasures like this. I still remember the joy on finding Poco's "Cowboys & Englishmen" in a second hand shop in Eccles, the week they first introduced the National Lottery. I felt like I'd won first prize - until I took it home and played it - absolutely bloody awful. Always on the lookout for material by my heroes (did I mention I was a Poco fan?), I dilligently searched - "C" for "Cotton", "P" for "Paul" (or "Poco" even), "E" for "Ex-Poco" etc (you know what record shops indexing systems are like). Never turned up zip. Anyway that's me absolved.
So better late than never here's the review (22 years late, good job I'm not getting paid for this).
"Changing Horses" was Paul Cotton's first solo outing, after a long and productive spell as Poco's lead guitarist. A year previously Poco's other leading light, Rusty Young decided to reprise the band's original line-up for a money making album/tour deal, leaving Paul (temporarily) out of the picture.
So Paul decided to cut "Changing Horses".
After being used to hearing Cotton within the Poco framework, this album has less of a country feel about it, because of the noticable abscence of RustyYoung's pedal steel. Instead, producer Rob Meurer is Cotton's main musical collaborator, his accomplished keyboard playing providing beautiful canvasses for Paul's growly guitar masterstokes. Meurer's longtime associate Christopher Cross also provides nice backing vocals on a couple of tracks.
Much of the guitar work is left to ex-Toto whizz Steve Lukather (Steve and Paul really should have started a new band called "Poto" or "Toco" maybe?), so the Gretsch White Falcon doesn't get unleashed as much as I, for one would like. Having said that, the sound on this album is amazing - a really strong AOR sound (and I dont mean that as a put-down), which suits Cotton's growly vocals down to the ground. On most tracks, Paul's strong vocal is augmented by a high harmony vocal (credited mostly to Paul himself), which sounds at times uncannily like Timothy B. Schmit, and lends a nice Poco-like feel to the whole project.
First up is an excellent cover of Chris Rea's "I Can Hear Your Heartbeat". Great cover of a great song, but there ain't enough Cotton in it - I know Paul holds Chris in very high regard, so much so that his vocal delivery is very close to the original. (C'mon Paul - we all love Chris Rea, but he ain't no Paul Cotton is he?). The other non-original cut also deserves a mention; the seductive "Tiger On The Lawn", with its noir narrative and maddenlingly catchy chorus is a gorgeous piece of "Cottonia" (copyright S.Reid 2012), redolent of the highs of 1984's "Inamorata". All of the original Cotton material (including a dynamite revisiting of Heart Of The Night where he splits the vocals with the sultry-voiced Portia Griffin), is excellent. "Here In Paradise" and "Jamaican Rain" are another two other high points on an album which has no low points.
So there you are; after two decades "Changing Horses" bears me no malice for 22 years of neglect, in fact it (along with its younger sibling "When The Coast Is Clear") is my constant companion, we are in communication on a daily basis.
Alls well that ends well.

BiC Cristal Large Ball Pen 1.6mm Box of 50 - Black
BiC Cristal Large Ball Pen 1.6mm Box of 50 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Why don't they create a pen for WOMEN?, 10 Oct. 2012
These pens are great, but when my wife tried to use them after a day's housework, she found them a little unwieldy for her tired little hands. If only Bic would create some pens for women. I'm sure there's a market out there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5