Profile for S. Irwin > Reviews

Content by S. Irwin

S. Irwin (Salamanca, Spain)

Austenland [DVD] [2013]
Austenland [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Keri Russell
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Something light and fun, mostly for Austen fans - not to be taken seriously...

Little Ashes [DVD] [2008]
Little Ashes [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Robert Pattinson
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 4.46

4.0 out of 5 stars well done, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Little Ashes [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Perhaps not for everyone, but this film does a very good job of reflecting a very difficult period at the beginning of the civil war in Spain. Homosexuality was obviously unaccepted at that time, but the film is not just about that. Patterson did an excellent job of making Dali believable and even likable despite his eccentricities. And Garcia Lorca, one of the most well-loved poets here in Spain, was also well played. The relationship between the three friends was well drawn, and the film never falls into sentimentality. A friend of mine complained of some difficulty understanding the accent of a few of the characters, but I personally had no problems with that aspect. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Spain, the Spanish civil war period, or just in artists and their relationships.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2010 8:14 AM GMT

Wrath of God: The Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755
Wrath of God: The Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755
by Edward Paice
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and interesting, 26 Sep 2010
It's history, but reads almost like a novel. I knew very little about the Lisbon earthquake, other than the fact that it destroyed most of the city, and I found it fascinating reading. It's surprising that not much about it is taught in schools, given the impact it had on Europe at the time. I highly recommend it. Now I'd like to read something written by a Portuguese historian on the same subject...

Star Trek [DVD]
Star Trek [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.18

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good, 24 May 2010
This review is from: Star Trek [DVD] (DVD)
As someone who used to watch the original series on TV and loved it (that gives my age away - but I was quite young) I was afraid of how they would represent the characters in a prequel. But I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the film, and I thought the actors were completely credible as younger versions of the 'originals'. The extras on the DVD are worth seeing, too.

Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Emily Blunt
Price: 3.90

5.0 out of 5 stars for lovers of period dramas, 24 May 2010
This review is from: Young Victoria [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Purists might find fault with some of the facts, but the film gives you a feeling for the time and the difficulties such a young queen would have. We always think of Queen Victoria as she is seen so often - an old lady in black - so it was great to be reminded that she was also a very young queen. The scenery is splendid, and the actors excellent. A lovely romantic story as well.

Under the Greenwood Tree [DVD]
Under the Greenwood Tree [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keeley Hawes
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice if you like period drama-romance, 27 Feb 2010
Hate to admit I haven't read the book for years, so I can't say if this is true to the book or not, but if you like BBC-type period dramas, you will like this one. Not the best I've ever seen, but enjoyable.

The Lady and the Poet
The Lady and the Poet
by Maeve Haran

4.0 out of 5 stars Immerses you in the Elizabethan period, 29 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Lady and the Poet (Paperback)
The love story of Ann More and the poet John Donne is well written and gives you a very good idea of life at the court of Queen Elizabeth, and what it must have been like to be a woman in those times. You can tell that the author has done a lot of research into the period and the poet. I enjoyed it and would recommend it, but didn't give it five stars because I only give five to those books that are hard to put down and stick in my mind for months afterward.

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
by Norman Doidge
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and thought-provoking..., 13 July 2009
This describes recent studies on the brain and how it can adapt to traumatic changes under certain circumstances. It is well-written and clear for non-scientists like me, and I found it very interesting even though I've read other books on the brain. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in how our brain works.

2009 British Country Gardens Grid Calendar
2009 British Country Gardens Grid Calendar
by teNeues Publishing Group
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely country garden pictures, 4 Feb 2009
This calendar has lovely pictures of British gardens and is just the right size to be able to add short notes on the dates.