Profile for Prof R. Taylor > Reviews

Content by Prof R. Taylor

Prof R. Taylor "richtea21" (Swansea, Wales)

Bosch TWK6031 Cordless Jug Kettle White
Bosch TWK6031 Cordless Jug Kettle White

3.0 out of 5 stars Bosch fan disappointed, 30 Sept. 2012
Have a number of very reliable Bosch products in the house so did not hesitate to buy this kettle. It did the job, but rather slowly. It was also rather chunky, which we took as a sign of strength... until it started leaking all over the kitchen work surface. Have now bought a Philips for less than half the price. Eat your heart out, Bosch!

A Dictionary of Celtic Saints
A Dictionary of Celtic Saints
by Elizabeth Rees

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Dictionary, 11 Mar. 2012
I was expecting a great deal from Elizabeth Rees's Dictionary of Celtic Saints as I am a great admirer of her earlier books. This dictionary is weak on its coverage of South Wales and, in particular, the Gower peninsula, left blank on the relevant map. There is no mention of our leading Celtic saints in this area: Ss Rhidian (sometimes associated with Aidan, but no cross reference here), Cattwg, Cenyth (no cross reference to Kenneth) or Gwynour.

What there is, however, is scholarly, accessible and clearly presented. In her Preface the author does admit the limitations and describes this book as 'a taster and, hopefully, an encouragement to explore further'. Indeed, I hope that a second edition of this valuable work will encourage Elizabeth Rees to further exploration and endeavour - this time not missing out Gower and its saints!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2012 12:21 PM BST

Roberts RD21B(ECO4) Ecologic 4 DAB/FM RDS Digital Stereo Radio wth up to 150 Hours Battery Life - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Listen - and believe! But then realise..., 27 Mar. 2010
I thought the customer reviews of this product must be exaggerated until I bought one - and listened to it. The sound is amazing, both in terms of clarity and of tone, both for speech and for (classical) music. This radio has to be heard to be believed!

Furthermore Roberts have designed a digital radio that actually looks like a radio and has the familiar controls, for volume and, even more importantly, for tone, both bass and treble. It is easy to operate, even for a technical incompetent like me. A quantum leap forward for DAB radios, and a product that I have no hesitation in recommending to others. I am even tempted to buy another one myself...

BUT... after only two months the on/off switch has stopped working. This is the second of three of these radios in our house and the second on which this fault has occurred. Last time it was a radio we had had for some time, but this one is less than two months old. Looking at the other customer comments on here, I think Roberts should be seriously worried about their reputation. Now to start the search for a replacement under guarantee, once I have navigated my away around this website, where the information seems to be very carefully hidden!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2016 7:47 PM GMT