Profile for edd101 > Reviews

Content by edd101

edd101 "edd101" (Norfolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
I'll prove it to you (1988)
I'll prove it to you (1988)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregory Abbott's 2nd album is as good as his first., 24 April 2014
Gregory Abbott has got an astonishing vocal range that should have made him a world wide super star but the music business can be very fickle. I am still surprised I am the only person till now that has reviewed both his 1986 & 1988 releases here. I love Soul music (& ballads) & when I hear a cracking song hairs stand to attention on the back of my neck, my rule of thumb for my favourite singers, this album does exactly that the more in depth you get.

The album put simply just gets stronger & stronger, the last five songs are a better quality than the first five. For me the best two songs on the album are 'Crazy over you' & 'Let me be your hero'. Indeed the quality of the vocal range offered on these two tracks, mixed with Gregory's falsetto are absolutely jaw dropping. Call it what you will Soul or R&B for me it doesn't get much better than this. This guy was meant to sing & a true fan would not put this CD away for very long. Another star buy.

The Final Frontier: Incredible stories of near-death experiences
The Final Frontier: Incredible stories of near-death experiences
by Richard Kent

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better., 23 Dec. 2013
Mr. Kent is a member of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship International. Mrs. Fotherby's husband David is a national director of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship International. They are all Christians and guess what? All the cases that are in the book, 25 of them, are all Christians. Are you getting the drift, it's called being biased.

They very kindly add a chapter at the end of the book telling us that we are choosing heaven or hell by our own belief systems. If we don't believe like them then you effectively have not got your ticket stamped and will end up in that other place.

I would like to ask them what happens to all the believers of other religions of our world? What happens to all the good people who just want to make the world a better place but don't have a religious affiliation? What about the small children who die that have not had enough time to make a choice? Well then, there must be so many good adults and children rotting away in agony but I suppose that must be their retribution.

In chapter 26 they also state that god made us out of dust and that they believe Adam and Eve where the first humans on earth. Please, didn't we come from apes like Darwin suggested and what about carbon dating to prove that the earth is not a few thousand years old. These people, authors that should know better, are stuck in religious doctrine.

I have heard scores of NDE accounts where people have come back and stated that a belief in Jesus or God was not an essential part of the process, they were all shown unconditional love and witnessed peace. It's time to bring your belief systems into the 21st century. Churches are closing at a great rate of knots in Great Britain does that mean that Heaven is due to close too?

Afterlife is Real
Afterlife is Real
by Theresa Francis-Cheung

4.0 out of 5 stars Real life stories, real emotion.... 9/10, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Afterlife is Real (Paperback)
When nobody has reviewed a book and you don't know whether to part with your money (or not) it is handy to come to amazon and read a page or two online. The author had me on the hook just by reading page one 'Presenting My Case' alone. The purchase soon followed.

After reading many a book on spiritual matters, my rule of thumb is to write a page number down in pencil when I have read something inspiring then I keep the book and retrieve the information at a later date. My pencil has been busy at the front of this book.

The author heard her deceased mothers voice when on a car journey and it told her in a stern voice to go right and not left at the next junction. The author did as she was told despite wanting to go left, it saved her life, she would have been involved in a fatal accident.

There are many wonderful and emotional stories from everyday people who want no reward but just to have their stories told. Be prepared for some amazing events with reassurance and advice coming from the author. One of the key points raised by Theresa is have an open and trusting heart and see phenomenon from your loved ones arrive in abundance, I couldn't have put it better, enjoy the book.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2014 8:53 PM GMT

Telephone Calls from the Dead
Telephone Calls from the Dead
by Callum E. Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking for many stories of ordinary peoples accounts, you have just brought the wrong book., 20 April 2013
After having many paranormal experiences (just by being totally open to it) and without being Psychic at all I was looking forward to getting my hands on this book. A self confessed bibliophile of anything related to links to the human soul I could have a good conversation with anyone. In fact I would say I have little interest in the people that have to have something happen to them first in order to believe, we live in a world where no one trusts each other, even when financial gain is not part of that equation.

One of the most recent things that has happened to me is that I claimed my fathers mobile phone after he passed to spirit in late 2011. Now, the main reason I have it is for sentimental reasons and don't give out the number. What has happened twice now is that the unit has turned itself on; when I would really have to give it a poke with my forefinger to get the thing started. Do I feel this is Dad reaching out to me? Absolutely. Have I felt the comfort in reading this book........no.

I believe the majority of people who pick this book up will be looking for reassurance and to read other peoples events but alas the book to me is mere waffle as if written by a student wanting to impress the lecturer with background information and also about researchers Douglas Scott Rogo and Raymond Gordon Bayless.

I really love reading books that are from a passionate author rather than someone who has a phd because for me this often detracts from the book. I favour the down to earth approach. I don't want to read about the history of telecommunication devises I want peoples heart felt accounts like some famous and outstanding ones like Mykelti Williamson also known as "Bubba" in Forrest Gump who had a telephone ADC (see youtube) but alas the author showed a lack of interest in this area, finding it hard to praise this book.

Voices in the Dark
Voices in the Dark
by Leslie Flint

5.0 out of 5 stars The much tested Independent Direct Voice Medium, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Voices in the Dark (Paperback)
Leslie Flint (1911-1994) was the most tested medium of modern times. He was born into poverty and had no real education to speak of. Rejected by his mother after his father was called to serve in France during World War 1, he was brought up by his Nan in a two up two down property that came with it's own lodger.

He saw spirit on many occasions including his uncle Alf and was often clouted by his Nan for lying. He would also get caned at school every Friday for turning up late after picking up his Nan's pension for her. He left school at the tender age of 13 to become a cemetary gardener/ grave digger and graduated to bar work and tailor shop supervisor/management.

He also had a passion for silent cinema and dancing and this he did with partner Gladys to a high standard, he eventually married a women many years older than himself and adopted her child as his own.

This book is highly recommended, it is packed full of many of the situations that Leslie found himself in, some quite upsetting and some with a humourous edge. This included a 1940 seance with a Mrs Bowering who's two deceased former husbands came through at the same time. Both were cremated but one of these was buried first then dug up and cremated and she got a ring back that he was buried with only to wear it herself later. She also got fed up with them for not warning her about husband No 3.

The most annoying part of the book is when the Scientific community who tested him to the nth term pulled the rug from underneath him when he passed all the tests. They decided not to publish their findings; would one think due to the chances of being ridiculed by their piers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2013 9:34 AM BST

Very Best Of Stylistics
Very Best Of Stylistics

4.0 out of 5 stars Some breathtaking tunes from the 70's, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Very Best Of Stylistics (Audio CD)
Russell Thompkins Jr wraps his smooth falsetto vocals around the tracks on this album with distinct style. There were 10 top 10 hits (in Britain) from this album. It all kicks off with their only number 1 hit 'Can't give you anything'; which for me is one of their best ever releases and the quality rarely goes down hill from there until you get to the last and 21st song.

These songs came from the times where Philly soul was probably it's most popular, around this period the American soul legend Teddy Pendergrass came in with writers Gamble and Huff behind him. I have to say that my absolute favourite song on the album is the Weiss/Peretti/Creatore penned song 'Thank you Baby' as if I were a writer I would have loved to write this song for my wife but alas my writing skills are of a lower quality, having said that All I need is you by Teddy Pendergrass would be another one too.

I will now broaden my search for more Philly soul as the classic songs/ballads seem to originate from this era.

Loves Train Best of Funk ...
Loves Train Best of Funk ...

4.0 out of 5 stars A good chill out album, 4 Jan. 2013
I purchased this album on the back of hearing the outstanding ballad collections of the Bar-Kays and Con funk Shun, who both have a song each from their albums on this collection. I liked Cameo too in the 80's and it was cool to hear them on this album along with Barry White doing what he does best. I must admit I would have preferred to hear some vocals on the tune Summer Madness because Kool & The Gang can deliver in that department and the version of Feel The Fire with Stephine Mills is so much better when the late Teddy Pendergrass sings along, but the album will not let you down if you are looking for smooth vocals and good music. Here's my tip.......listen to each track for 30 seconds on Amazon.com before buying.

Talking with Spirit (Joseph Alexander Mystical Writings)
Talking with Spirit (Joseph Alexander Mystical Writings)
by Joseph Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to warp speed your spiritual awareness., 29 Dec. 2012
This book was given to me to read by my nephew and I couldn't put it down; cover to cover within 48 hours. If I could recommend three books to a young person just starting out 'on their journey' about the human soul then this would be one of them and I have read up to 40 books on the subject.

The author, a very modest man, had his first experience of spirit when he was four years old. In this book he speaks to guides and other spirits including a respected former School teacher of his for advice and understanding of the other realms and gets clear concise answers. The message is heavily geared to that of a God who is very forgiving and loves all his children(us)no matter what we have done. There are also messages of not harbouring negative thoughts as these can attract negative entities and not messing with things that we don't fully understand ouija boards and seances.

One moving part was when his former School teacher (who brought him things from his own pocket without wanting anything in return) in life talked of moving out of his physical body. He was greeted by his Mum and Dad and didn't realise he had died until told to look back for one last time to his faithful old overcoat/body. He was then greeted by old friends, family and four of his spirit guides who told him they had enjoyed being part of the life just lived and would meet him soon for the life review.

My only advise to you when starting the book would be make sure that you have bags of time on your hands because put it down you can't.

New Function Computer Desk in Beech Finish Laptop desk
New Function Computer Desk in Beech Finish Laptop desk

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy beech finish desk., 18 Jun. 2012
This desk comes highly recommended, the instructions are very clear and there is more than enough room for the printer on the purpose built shelf. We wanted the product for our small back bedroom and the 76cm(high)X70cm(wide)X48cm(deep)frame fitted in like a hand in a glove. The panels are neat, tidy and crisp you feel the quality of the product when putting it together and when you see it stand(completed)The only down side is that you will have to tuck your legs in carefully when you pull up your chair because room is limited but that's not enough of a downer to take away a star.

Suddenly (Expanded Edition)
Suddenly (Expanded Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars An album 2 make babies 2, 5 Jun. 2012
If you can get a copy of this album WITHOUT the four extended tracks at the end (try e-bay) then you have one of the most outstanding albums of all time to make out to. Every time I hear this album I am taken back to a time many years ago. Billy puts in the big and smooth vocals that take you to a romantic place where your troubles mean nothing and the person you are with means absolutely everything. This is one of my favourite albums; make sure you give the Lennon and McCartney classic Long & winding road a listen too, because Billy does more than pull it off.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5