Profile for Kew > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Bride Sale
The Bride Sale

3.0 out of 5 stars Melodrama, 3 July 2012
This review is from: The Bride Sale (Kindle Edition)
I've read and enjoyed some of Candice Hern's regency romances. This is somewhat different though. It has more elements of melodrama than her other, gentler tales. This is set in Cornwall and I appreciated the author's attempts to reproduce a genuine cornish accent! I also enjoyed this story as I live on the edge of Bodmin Moor - so I was interested at how the moor was depicted. I thought that this was well-researched but didn't quite recreate Cornwall in the way that Winston Graham or Daphne du Maurier do. However, it came close. I'm not sure that the cornish would have been so vicious at a bride sale though but I can vouch for the fact that the people of Bodmin Moor are still very supersticious.

This story has more adult content than some of the author's regency romances.

Happy Hour
Happy Hour

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 3 July 2012
This review is from: Happy Hour (Kindle Edition)
This is an inspirational story about a group of four friends. We read about their lives, loves and problems as well as how their friendship helps them through. It is somewhat in the style of Steel Magnolias [DVD] [2001].

Timeline (Auto Series)
Timeline (Auto Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 3 July 2012
This is another gripping tale set in the future where "autos" control people's lives through social networking. I found this to be very well written and full of suspence. A very enjoyable read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 9:16 PM BST

The Farda
The Farda

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of the unexpected, 3 July 2012
This review is from: The Farda (Kindle Edition)
This is a well-written short story with a very unexpected twist to the end. It reminded me of the sort of surprise that you used to get from the old TV show of the 1970s, "Tales of the Unexpected." I doubt many, if any, will be able to guess the ending of this little story!

Charity Begins at Home, a Traditional Regency Romance (Regency Escapades Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars Touching romance, 26 Jun. 2012
I enjoyed reading this romance novel with a heroine who would make the perfect wife but wants to be loved for herself. This is a highly romantic story.

However, this needs proof reading. At times I had to stop to work out what the sentence was saying because the wrong words were used such as "arid" instead of "and" or "tier" instead of "her". There were many instances of mistakes like this. These are enjoyable stories so I really hope that these books will be edited soon to enhance the reading experience. If I find that has happened, I will edit these comments out of my review and award an extra star to my rating. I would have given this four stars if I hadn't had to work so hard trying to read the text.

Poetic Justice, a Traditional Regency Romance (Regency Escapades Book 3)
Poetic Justice, a Traditional Regency Romance (Regency Escapades Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 26 Jun. 2012
Having read and enjoyed Royal Renegade, a Traditional Regency Romance Novel (Regency Escapades) I wanted to read this sequel where John Dryden meets his match. This was just as enjoyable as the first book and I enjoyed the different angle that the story took - Jessica is an heiress, though not to a fortune but a library. She is very well-matched to John Dryden, who we met in Royal Renegade and I enjoyed the literary setting.

As I have found with the other books which I have now read by Alicia Rasley, this needs another proof read.

Royal Renegade, a Traditional Regency Romance Novel (Regency Escapades Book 1)
Royal Renegade, a Traditional Regency Romance Novel (Regency Escapades Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 26 Jun. 2012
I enjoyed reading this light hearted regency romance. It caught my attention from the first because Tatiana is such a delightful character. I enjoyed the royal setting as well as the twists and turns of the plot. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately reached for the sequel, Poetic Justice, a Traditional Regency Romance (Regency Escapades).

This could really do with another proof read though as there are several mistakes in the text.

Once a Ferrara Wife... (Mills & Boon Modern) (Ferrara Series)
Once a Ferrara Wife... (Mills & Boon Modern) (Ferrara Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense and gripping, 26 Jun. 2012
I don't read a lot of Mills and Boon books, but bought this because at the time it was just 20p. I was very impressed with this story though and read it in one sitting. This was an intense and emotional tale about a couple battling to save their marriage. Although there is some adult content, the main focus of the story was on the personalities and relationship of the couple themselves. I enjoyed the unravelling of the mystery as to why their relationship had failed and watched them develop as people once they have to face up to those challenges. I wasn't keen on the characters to start with, finding them shallow and selfish, but as the tale unravels we get a better understanding of them and I came to like them. Ultimately, I found this an uplifting read.

The Reluctant Lady, A Traditional Regency Romance (Regency Escapades Book 2)
The Reluctant Lady, A Traditional Regency Romance (Regency Escapades Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Jun. 2012
I enjoyed reading this sweet regency romance. It took a while for me to get into the story as it takes a while to set the scene for the main part of the story. Once that happened I enjoyed the chemistry between the characters as well as the unexpected twists to the plot. Light hearted and enjoyable. I now look forward to reading more from this author.

I would have given this four stars if it wasn't for the poor proof-reading; there are typos and missing letters throughout the novel.

A Lord for Miss Larkin (Valiant Hearts Trilogy Book 1)
A Lord for Miss Larkin (Valiant Hearts Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, 19 Jun. 2012
I very much enjoyed reading this sweet regency romance. Miss Larkin is delightful and there is plenty of humour in the story. This is nice light hearted escapsim. This is the first regency romance that I have read by Carola Dunn but now look forward to reading some more!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20