Profile for pauland > Reviews

Content by pauland

pauland (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Apple Revolution: Steve Jobs, the counterculture and how the crazy ones took over the world
by Luke Dormehl
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple & Co - the big picture, 31 May 2014
I like reading about real events and people and I want to hear the human side of the story rather than just the story itself, and this book certainly doesn't disappoint.

I love Apple products, like the Apple design-led and minimalistic approach but have always been aware that the charisma and drive of Steve Jobs, wonderful as it was always had a flip side that seemed in many ways to be opposite to the public perception.

This book not only explores the gestation of Apple and Steve Jobs and their journey, it sets it in the context from which Apple was born and grew. There are many things in this book that I did know about, but there's a ton of stuff I didn't and in particular many people, personalities and situations that forged Apple and Steve Jobs that I had no idea about and really paints the bigger picture - not just of the computer/technology industry, but of the people building that industry, directly or indirectly.

It was for me a riveting read. Don't expect some detailed info on Apple products - this book is about people and business. I only realised when i finished the book that there are no pictures at all. It didn't matter, I didn't miss them.

The cover says it all - "an impossibly awesome piece of work" and I agree.

I loved it - well written and a fascinating read if you want to know the bigger picture inside and around Apple.

I can't recommend it highly enough. I wouldn't have lasted more than two minutes as an employee with Jobs.

For the Moment [1993] [DVD] [2007]
For the Moment [1993] [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 1.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A moment that will linger, 18 May 2014
As others have said, it's a gentle wartime romance set against the backdrop of beautiful Canadian rural scenery, the 1940's.

It's a gentle film that takes the time to breathe and build atmosphere. Some people see this as being slow, but I don't need films to be full of action sequences to be able to keep my attention.

As well as some superb performances from the leads, the WW2 planes are great in support with some beautiful Ariel sequences. I caught sight of the opening sequence on TV and it was that and the soundtrack which made me go and buy the DVD. The sight of a biplane flying through the clouds over the Canadian countryside really did have that effect.

It's a nice small film, not perfect by any means, but I know it's one of those films I'll be able to watch again and again.I can't exactly say why.

I loved it, but I know it's not for everyone.

Eric Carle's Dream Snow: Pop-Up Advent Calendar
Eric Carle's Dream Snow: Pop-Up Advent Calendar
by Eric Carle
Edition: Calendar
Price: 7.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A great surprise for the elderly, 29 April 2014
I bought three of these for elderly relatives that lived alone.

Two of them absolutely loved it, one liked it.

It gave us something to talk about, something Christmassy for their home and something for them to look forward to doing every day in the run up to Christmas.

It was a great present for them and we all had fun with them - I was really impressed by the final product.

Excellent.

1x 50mm scraper blade Fein Multimaster Bosch multitool
1x 50mm scraper blade Fein Multimaster Bosch multitool
Offered by saxton trading
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy work when removing vinyl tiles, 29 April 2014
This blade easily removed vinyl tiles from our kitchen floor. Perfect.

Very happy with performance and quality of the blade.

Crucial CT120M500SSD1 120GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Crucial CT120M500SSD1 120GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Offered by Kikatek
Price: 56.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Turbocharged a sluggish machine, 29 April 2014
My wife had always complained about her laptop being a bit slow. She didn't use too much hard disk space so the capacity of the drive was perfect for her needs and now she has the fastest booting computer in the house and responsiveness has shot up.

Installation was easy after I cloned her existing drive to the SSD.

It's a great buy and I have had no more complaints about the computer being slow.

Perfect.

Mains Powered Household Gas Detector
Mains Powered Household Gas Detector
Offered by Inta-Audio
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The visitors were right - we had a gas leak.., 29 April 2014
Our visitors sometimes said they thought they could smell gas sometimes and we were scheptical - nobody in the family could tell.

To be sure we weren't about to blow up, I ordered one of these and discovered the neighbours were absolutely right.

After a couple of minutes it started shrieking like a banshee where our visitors thought the smell was. It was silent elsewhere.

So, it did what it says on the tin, and we've since had the leak fixed. I hate to think what might have happened and how much money we've spent on leaking gas.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen [Blu-ray]
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen [Blu-ray]
Offered by RevisionNet
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Rom com with a far-fetched plot, 13 April 2014
It was fun to watch, but this rom-com plodded in places and the plot seemed somewhat convoluted. I doubt it'll get a second viewing.

Hi Tec Squash Shoes White/Green 11.5 UK UK
Hi Tec Squash Shoes White/Green 11.5 UK UK
Offered by Sports Direct
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable shoes, ideal for badminton, 13 April 2014
Really comfortable to wear and perfect for playing badminton on an indoor court.

Really pleased with them and bought at an excellent price.

Bosch PMD 7 Digital Detector
Bosch PMD 7 Digital Detector
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-peasy pipe finding, 13 April 2014
We had a gas leak and the precise location seemed to be in an are below ground.

Using this device it was easy to detect the way that the gas pipe ran under our concrete floor.

It couldn't be easier to use, seems robust and idiot-proof.

Absolutely excellent.

The Devil's Double [DVD]
The Devil's Double [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dominic Cooper
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromising story, superbly acted, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Devil's Double [DVD] (DVD)
The majority of ratings for this film are positive and I think Dominic Cooper's performance here is stunning. The story has menace, depravity and tension running through it and the locations are stunning.

The problem of acting as a double, is difficult to pull off convincingly and Dominic does this superbly and there must have been many problems filming this story.

Some reviewers have remained unconvinced by Dominic's performance and have not found the story interesting. They must have watched a completely different film to me, since this is stunning film. I wish it had been longer - some parts at the end of the story are given a 'light touch' leaving out details and I'd like to have known more.

The 18 certificate is well deserved and it's not a film for the sqeamish or prudish, but the violent and sexual content are consistent with a story.

I'm really glad to have seen this film and will watch it again. I haven't seen the DVD/Blu ray but will buy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6