Profile for David Garfield > Reviews

Content by David Garfield

David Garfield

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kolay Flip Case Cover Stand/Screen Protector/Stylus Pen for Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation - Black
Offered by BUYtoSAVE
Price: 5.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 2 Jun 2014
This case has a good design; it works well, but the plastic sides that grip the iPod are very, very brittle. In less than a month's use they have splintered and much of it has broken away. I don't remove the iPod from the case very often, if at all, so it's not constant 'traffic' that's doing this. It is true that when I had to take it out of the case the first splintering happened but now it's happened on both sides. Very soon the case will be unusable and I'll have to buy another one, but it won't be one of these, I'm afraid.

If the quality of the material were better this would be a very useful product but as it stands it's rapidly becoming useless.

Update: 6th June 2014
The thing has finally fallen to pieces. The brittle plastic sides have splintered away and now can't hold the iPod safely.

Note to the manufacturers: a couple of quid is cheap, yes, but you cut costs so far that the item isn't fit for purpose. Charge 4 pounds and make it something that will last more than a few weeks.

Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit
Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit
Offered by UK SUPPLYS DIRECT EXPEDITED DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS FREE!
Price: 102.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but don't keep the setup program on your Mac, 21 Mar 2014
This works very well but I discovered that immediately after installing the setup software on my iMac it started to misbehave, with memory problems and some programs being affected. It took a while to make the connection and after a lot of reboots (something I have never had to do with my Mac) I uninstalled the program and hey-presto, my Mac behaved flawlessly again. Fortunately you don't need that software once you've done the initial set up.

MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM card adapter kit (Nano / Micro / Standard)
MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM card adapter kit (Nano / Micro / Standard)
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: 9.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty useless, 21 Mar 2014
This thing uses friction to keep the micro SIM in place, and after one or two uses that friction disappears. So when you turn the SIM upside down to put it into the phone, it falls out. So then you have to turn the phone upside down to get it into the housing, which is fiddly and frustrating.

Additionally, this is useless for 3 Mobile and GiffGaff SIMS. All the phones I tried with it simply rejected the SIM (including a Blackberry). This may be because 3 and GG SIMs are somehow different from SIMS from Vodafone and O2, but that's cold comfort if you're with 3 or GG.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 1:10 PM GMT

Villeroy & Boch New Wave Caffe 8 cm Cocoa Shaker
Villeroy & Boch New Wave Caffe 8 cm Cocoa Shaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best chocolate shaker I've seen, 24 Feb 2014
Elegant, and distributes the chocolate onto cappuccinos very professionally. My only criticism is that in use, a large amount of powder accumulates in the rim, so when you unscrew the top to refill it, quite a lot of powder falls out and is therefore wasted.

Chef'n Freshforce Citrus Juicer Lime Colour (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Chef'n Freshforce Citrus Juicer Lime Colour (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Gimmick World
Price: 26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, 24 Feb 2014
This is a beast of a press. It's quite large, but fortunately I have the drawer space for it but it has made my life easier in the making of margaritas and orange juice. the old ritual of getting out the lemon squeezer and grinding away until I've got out as much of the juice as possible and then the cleaning of the thing are now in the past. I can squeeze 4 limes for margaritas in seconds and then rinse this thing under a hot tap and I'm done.

Downside is prising out the now flattended disc of fruit from the juicer when I've finished pressing. It sometimes takes a bit of picking with a fingernail to get it out, but other than that, I'm very happy with it.

Minosharp Plus 3 Ceramic Water Sharpener 550 - Black/Red
Minosharp Plus 3 Ceramic Water Sharpener 550 - Black/Red
Offered by York Catering Supplies Ltd
Price: 42.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly disappointing, 28 July 2013
I know about knife sharpening. I have had an Edge Pro for many years and have always used that on my 9 Global knives to keep them as close to scalpel-sharp as I can. To keep a knife sharp you can 'steel' it after every 3 or 4 uses, which returns the edge, until that no longer works, and then you need to to back to the water stone again.

I bought this gizmo because I wanted to stop using the steel. I'm on my second diamond-encrusted steel, which are terrific but they cost upwards of 60 and they don't last long enough to justify the cost. So I thought I'd continue to use the Edge Pro but use this ceramic sharpener in place of the periodic use of the steel. Big mistake!

This device REMOVES whatever edge remains on the blade and I either have to run the blade through it for ages (and I mean 30-40 minutes) or I go back to the Edge Pro. Just running the blade through the wheels for a quick sharpen of an already fairly sharp blade simply blunts it.

Additionally, it takes longer to sharpen a Global with this than it does with the Edge Pro. Back-and-forth, back-and-forth you go with absolutely no discernable improvement in the edge until suddenly, when I'm about to give up an hang myself in the garage, an edge appears. But that edge is weak. It feels sharp when you flick your nail across the edge, but I can draw the blade across the back of my thumb and it doesn't draw blood. A new Global (or one sharpened with a real water stone) would take your thumb off at the joint with that action.

So, If you know anything about sharpening knives and know what a real cutting edge should be this is complete waste of money. If you just want a blade you can think is sharp because it feels sharp when you flick it (and you have the time to use the damned thing) then this will be fine for you.

Caveat emptor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 9:27 PM BST

GENUINE BLACKBERRY BLACK LAMBSKIN LEATHER HOLSTER CASE FOR CURVE 8520 9300 8900 8530 & 9330 WITH SWIVEL BELT CLIP & ELASTICATED ELASTIC SIDES HDW-24208-001 POUCH
Offered by Brilliant Comms
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but can break when you sit down, 6 Jun 2013
This is my fourth such holster. They all work fine and then one day I make a mistake and sit in my sports car with the holster facing upwards instead of sideways and there is a loud snap and the clip breaks away from the holster. I then go and order another one. I wish the design was such that when breaking point is reached something just 'gives' without breaking so that I can just snap it back. But you can't have everything.

TensCare Ultima Digital TENS for Pain Relief
TensCare Ultima Digital TENS for Pain Relief

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, 6 Jun 2013
This is a good machine. It's versatile, and the only thing I would change on it if I could is to allow the two pads to receive different programmes. Both have to operate the same way, which in most cases is probably OK but in my case it would have been useful to have one pad doing one thing and another doing something else. This is because I had muscle pain in one location on my shoulder and nerve damage that required a different intensity in another. Otherwise, a good machine.

Fissler 61030006000 Pressure Cooker Vitavit Comfort 6.0 Litre
Fissler 61030006000 Pressure Cooker Vitavit Comfort 6.0 Litre
Price: 147.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality item, 6 Jun 2013
I have had several pressure cookers over the years, mainly from Prestige, which are perfectly adequate but not up to the build quality of this make. And one of the nicest things about the Fissler is that it's completely silent and doesn't hiss continuously from escaping steam. The only downside of this make is that the gasket seals are eyewateringly expensive. But I accept this (reluctantly) because of the other advantages.

Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty
Price: 105.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., 21 Dec 2012
I bought this because the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Cable Router that I bought a few weeks earlier proved unreliable and kept dropping off the internet every 2 days. Wowed by the good looks and pretty good reviews of the Asus I decided to spend a lot more money and buy a once-and-for-all high quality router.

It is reliable, it has stayed on line all week with no glitches. The user interface is sexier than that of the TP-Link, but my biggest complaint is that the wireless power is significantly lower than the TP-Link's. More than that ... it's lower than the horrible old BT Home Hub 3 that I was using before the TP-Link. This is extremely disappointing.

Other complaints are that a) some setting changes cause the router to reboot, which means that if you don't have a static IP address, the router will obtain another new one. Not a problem for most, but if you are hosting a proxy server for friends and family abroad (as I do) you have to mail them with the new IP address. Some setting changes will always require a reboot, but this thing seems to reboot for setting changes that really don't warrant it.

And b) this router doesn't support NAT Loopback. Most users don't care about this, and if you don't know what that is, then you probably don't need it. But loopback is the ability to log back into your own LAN as if you were outside your home. This is important for testing proxy or VPN setups, and also viewing such things as picture Web galleries from inside your home, that you are hosting for people outside. The TP-Link is one of the few routers that do support this feature, and had it been reliable I would have been very happy to stay with it.

If you have a need for good wireless penetration in your home, or for NAT loopback ... I wouldn't recommend this one.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2012 3:36 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3