Profile for Ellis Covington > Reviews

Content by Ellis Covington

Ellis Covington (further away)

UFO's Werewolves & The Pig-Man: Exposing England's Strangest Location - Cannock Chase
Price: 3.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read but has some problems, 11 Oct 2013
I'm a Staffordshire native and live near to Cannock Chase so this was an interesting book to me. I know the area can be quite spooky and have heard many tales of paranormal goings on before, this lead me to launch into this book with relish. On the whole it is an interesting read with several good examples of the weird things that go on in the woods around Cannock. Ghosts, UFO's, Cryptids and military anomalies are all provided as well as some history of the bloody history of the area. If you are interested in these things then this book should not disappoint.

There were a couple of things which knocked down the score for me. First of all there are fair few errors of grammar and spelling which jarred me out of my reading revere at times. Not enough to annoy me majorly but enough to be noticed. The second thing is the authors tendency to go off topic to rant about how evil the government is. I understand that paranoia against authority is a staple of paranormal research but he does take it a bit far at times almost to the point of seeming like a parody.

So by all means buy it and read it but just don't be expected to be too blown away by it.

Out of the Dark
Out of the Dark
Price: 4.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Out of the Dark (Kindle Edition)
It's a shame but I really didn't enjoy this book. I'm usually a fan of Weber's work but this book just left me cold. There were two main things which just killed the book for me:

1. The aliens never seemed that much of a threat. I know it's strange to say that when they wipe out a large portion of the population early on. The problem is you only read about them being tough in either extremely "zoomed out" proportions or when the characters themselves are describing what happened elsewhere. Every time the story focuses on a fight to actually describe the aliens are portrayed as weak and incompetent. It doesn't build drama in my eyes.

2. The tech descriptions. Lordy does Weber love describing things in this book. When I can spend pretty much an entire break at work reading about how a mountain retreat gets water and power I start to think this isn't the book for me. Every tech item in the book is described in excruciating detail and then any action seems to take place in the blink of an eye. If you are a nut for details and equipment then I suppose this could be a positive.

In the end I just can't recommend this book. What little drama there is quickly killed by the easy victories, tech descriptions of Deus Ex Machina at the end. Weber is a great writer (check out his excellent Safehold series) and he can do better than this.

Mad Catz Dream Cable-Extension (Dreamcast)
Mad Catz Dream Cable-Extension (Dreamcast)

4.0 out of 5 stars Aptly named, 15 Nov 2000
The dream cable is great. It's an un-sung hero. I always thought that the cables on the dreamcast were too short. Now for cheap you can fix it. Not exciting, not glamorous. But it works and it works well.

Homeworld: Cataclysm (PC)
Homeworld: Cataclysm (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Opera Classic, 7 Oct 2000
Homeworld Cataclysm is simply amazing. It is war on an epic scale. If you have ever watched Babylon 5 and wanted a game with battle scenes like that, buy this. The story is also brilliant and keeps you hooked. The missions are finely tuned so that your never bored. The new tweaked control system is also a delight. Trust me this is one game you don't want to miss.