Profile for Bluebell > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
In the Springtime of the Year
In the Springtime of the Year

3.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 15 Aug. 2012
I downloaded his book after I'd heard an interview with Susan Hill about this novel that she revealed grew out of a personal experience of the death of her fiancee many years earlier. She told us that Cruse, the bereavement charity, recommends it to people seeking their help. As someone recently bereaved I didn't find it helpful as the emotions of Ruth, the young widow central to the story, were so extreme and her dead husband's family so unsympathetic, that the narrative didn't chime with how most people behave. The story lacks the ray of hope that the pain will lift. There is some beautiful writing by Susan Hill evoking the beauties of natural world. I was left feeling flat and not uplifted by the story that lacks variation in tone with no humour to releave the gloom. I found the book Seven Choices: Finding Daylight After Loss Shatters Your World much more helpful to cope with bereavement as it give one hope that there is a progression that others have experienced and that gradually things improve without every forgetting the loved one.

Sunshine on Scotland Street: 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street 8)
Sunshine on Scotland Street: 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street 8)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, informative, imaginative and charming, 5 Aug. 2012
I've read all the books in this series and have really enjoyed meeting again this diverse band of Edinburgh folk. I'm pleased to say that in this further installment McCall Smith has managed to maintain his high standard of story-telling weaving the different lives together in a series of short chapters often ending a gentle cliff-hanger keeping one eager to read on. I suspect that those of us who know Edinburgh and recognize some of the real people and shops incorporated into the fictional account get added enjoyment.

The book opens with preparations for Angus and Domenica's wedding causing anxiety for Mathew as best man. As usual the troubles are resolved and the reader is left content that all is well. Little Bertie remains aged 6 years old hoping to be seven as the other characters move on in real time. His perceptions of the world and his hopes to be free of his domineering mother remain one of the engaging themes of the series. His mother, Irene, continues to provide an amusing source of satire over her obession with psycho-analysis and her strident feminism endured stoically by her husband Stuart. Bruce, the narcissistic surveyor is back in Edinburgh and gets involved entertaining adventure with a new neighbour.

The charm of these books is that they are an escape from the real world of debt, troubled relationships and the sheer grind of surviving that many people endure and take the reader into the world of privileged Edinburgh society with their little ups and downs of life. Along the way the author amuses, informs and subtly makes one think about philosophical issues in a natural manner.

The Apprentice: (Rizzoli & Isles series 2)
The Apprentice: (Rizzoli & Isles series 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well plotted and engrossing, 2 Aug. 2012
I'd only discovered this series involving detective Rizzoli and pathologist Isles in recent years and was interested to go back to near the beginning of their partnership. I was surprised how little the pathologist figured in this early book compared with more recent cases where she is a prominent character. This second book in the series is where Rizzoli meets agent Dean of the FBI and who becomes important in her life in later books. I haven't read the first book in the series but the case it dealt with re-appears as the back-story for this second book and a new series of murders. The descriptions are pretty gruesome at times but it's a well-plotted story that keeps you reading and ends with an exciting flourish.

Aponia night cream Sulphur for very sensitive skin, vegetable based, 30 mL
Aponia night cream Sulphur for very sensitive skin, vegetable based, 30 mL

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work, 13 July 2012
Over the last year I've had a recrudescence of rosacea skin disorder that I hadn't had for many years. Then I was prescribed tetracycline antibiotic plus a flowers of sulphur skin cream. Hoping to avoid antibiotic I thought I'd try a sulphur-based treatment on its own. As an adjunct to using this sulphur-based cream I wash twice a day with a sulphur soap 200G 10% Sulphur Soap. At first I used the cream at least twice a day. The redness and raised patches are noticeably reduced and after a few weeks of this regime I only use the cream overnight. The leaflet recommends reducing use and that the pot of cream is kept shielded from the light in a little cotton bag. It's early days and skin conditions are notoriously unpredictable, but I feel that this combined treatment regime has had a beneficial effect on a chronic skin disorder that has troubled for me for nearly a year. Fingers crossed! In any case it's a pleasant skin cream and suphur has a long history of being good for the skin.

Update August 5, 2012: Fingers crossed, this cream combined with washing my face with the sulphur soap has given me the longest period of clear skin that I've had over the last 12 months or so. I only use the cream at night now as a maintenance treatment.

200G 10% Sulphur Soap
200G 10% Sulphur Soap
Offered by detoxpeople

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to use and I think it helps, 13 July 2012
This review is from: 200G 10% Sulphur Soap (Misc.)
I got this in the hope of toning down a recrudescence of rosacea skin disorder that I hadn't had for many years. Then I was prescribed tetracycline antibiotic plus a flowers of sulphur skin cream. Hoping to avoid antibiotic I thought I'd try sulphur-based treatment on its own. Washing twice a day with this sulphur soap plus sulphur skin cream Aponia night cream Sulphur for very sensitive skin, vegetable based, 30 mL. It only been a few weeks but so far I think this combination has led to a noticeable reduction in redness and raised patches that has plagued me for nearly a year.
The sulphur soap apart from any medicinal benefit is actually nice to use: quite creamy and the bar will last for ages.

Update August 5, 2012: Fingers crossed, washing my face morning and evening with this soap combined with an nightly application of the Aponia cream has kept my skin disorder at bay for several weeks. A length of remission I hadn't achieved with any other treatment over the last 12 months or so.

Cop To Corpse: 12 (Peter Diamond Mystery)
Cop To Corpse: 12 (Peter Diamond Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars A complex story with a surprising finish, 7 July 2012
I have enjoyed many of the author's Peter Diamond novels. In Diamond he has created a character with just enough personal information to make him believable without burdening stories with excessive details to slow-down the narrative. Cop to Corpse has a very different feel to Lovesey's previous book, Stagestruck, which was full of humour and whose players verged on caricatures. The new book is darker, more serious and realistic. It's a complicated story with several suspects, red herrings and unsuccessful lines of inquiry. The final denouement was a surprise, the evidence for which I didn't feel had been adequately embedded in the narrative. Revealing the perpetrator(s) never matters much for me as I don't try to detect whodunit and enjoy this kind of book for the journey.

Hg Window Cleaner 500ml
Hg Window Cleaner 500ml
Offered by Homecare Essentials Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars A little goes a long way, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Hg Window Cleaner 500ml
I bought this cleaning ffluid to use in the Kärcher WV 50 Window Cleaning Vacuum as it is the recommended product. I find that the system works exceptionally well with even less cleaner per litre of water than recommended. I have been pleasantly surprised at the clean and smear-free results.

Seven Choices: Finding Daylight After Loss Shatters Your World
Seven Choices: Finding Daylight After Loss Shatters Your World
by Elizabeth Harper Neeld

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps the pain of loss, 3 July 2012
The author had the terrible experience of her relatively young husband dropping dead while jogging. They had only been married for four years. In her quest to find a way to deal with the loss she used her researcher's skills to find other bereaved people and collate the information into this helpful book. She takes you through what she has identified as seven stages on the road to acceptance of what has happened and a pathway for finding a new life without the loved one. Her loss was when she was young and she was able to find solace through her career and a new relationship, the book is is just as helpful to those who are much older and who have lost a loved one after many years of marriage or who have lost a child. Although these are different kinds of bereavement, the progression from shock and disbelief to acceptance and some form of recovery appear to follow a similar path. You'll weep at the recognition of what you're feeling but the reminder that others have felt the same and found some kind of stability over time gives hope that the pain will eventually lessen and there will be days when you don't cry and repeated thoughts of your loss intrude. I do recommend this book. I had been a bit wary (and unreasonably prejudiced) about book by an American author, but found her advice sensible and comforting.

Dreamland Intelliheat Fleecy Heated Single Under Blanket
Dreamland Intelliheat Fleecy Heated Single Under Blanket
Offered by Co-operative Independent Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds greatly to bedtime comfort, 19 Jun. 2012
The blanket is designed to have the power cable linked to the heat control handset plugged into a socket on the blanket at the head of the bed and for the cable to be on the right-hand side of the bed. I am using the blanket on the left hand side of a double bed and so have placed it with the fleecy side on the underside (the reverse of what's intended) so that I can have the control cable near the top of the bed. It means that the electric heating cables are on the upper side but they don't cause me any discomfort as I've put the blanket under a quilted mattress cover. I am impressed by how quickly the blanket heats up and the wide range of temperatures (6 levels) that one can choose. One also has the choice of automatic switch off after one hour or after 9 hours which enables one to merely warm up the bed or, on a lower setting, be comfortably warm all night. My impression is that the blanket is longer than some I've had in the past and I felt that the feet end was calibrated to be warmer than the shoulder end, which is just what one wants.
I felt very snug when I got into bed with it set to one hour and didn't have to worry about falling asleep and waking up later sweating on a blanket I'd forgotten to turn off.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2012 9:21 PM BST

Screwpull by Le Creuset Lever Model Corkscrew in Sliding Box
Screwpull by Le Creuset Lever Model Corkscrew in Sliding Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortless extraction of corks, 10 Jun. 2012
I had been having great trouble getting the corks out of a sweetish German Riesling owing to a sugary deposit cementing the corks in place. An ordinary corkscrew merely broke up the centre of the cork that then came out in crumbs creating a tiny channel through which I got a trickle of wine with added bits of cork. As I have several cases of this delicious wine I decided to get the lever-action Screwpull. Bliss! it yanks the stubborn corks out and stops me swearing as I struggle to get at my wine. Even corks, that I can get out relatively easily with a simple corkscrew, are extracted much more easily and with less effort by the lever-action of the Screwpull. There's a certain pleasure in using a device that employs the principles of mechanics to improve the performance of a task. The foil-cutter, that comes with the device, is a bonus and does the job to perfection and saves me from the risk of cutting a finger as I usually remove the foil with a kitchen knife.
Though quite expensive, I do recommended the device if you drink wine from bottles with corks fairly regularly: it's a nifty piece of kit and it looks impressive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20