Profile for Bluebell > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PURE PocketDAB 1500 Leather Case - Black
PURE PocketDAB 1500 Leather Case - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 29 July 2013
I often like to listen to my Pure Pocket Dab 1500 radio as I move about but find if what I'm wearing has no pockets I can't secure it. This leather case has a clip on the back that I can hook over my waistband and carry the radio around safely. A secondary advantage is that if I take the radio when I'm away from home it is protected from knocks. It's good quality.

Secure-Ring Standard Security Door Chain - white (left hand)
Secure-Ring Standard Security Door Chain - white (left hand)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 July 2013
I have a uPVC front door and many chains aren't suitable for this kind of door. I saw that this is approved by insurance companies. It was easy to install and does the job well. One can have it loosely chained or tightly. The latter is achieved by a hole in a panel at the end of the chain that can be slotted into the bracket on the door jamb that makes it impossible for an intruder to knock the chain off the door handle. I use it all the time when I don't want to lock the front door but also don't want someone to be able to slip in. It also means that I can open the door and see who is there before fully opening the door with the chain extended but not enough for entry. It gives peace of mind.

The Ways of the World: (The Wide World - James Maxted 1)
The Ways of the World: (The Wide World - James Maxted 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 29 July 2013
The early books by Robert Goddard are some of the best I've ever read: with twists and turns in the plot that kept one reading eagerly. I think I've read all his books and feel that lately that narrative drive that was his hall-mark has diminished. The present book was readable but it never kept me reading into the night. I didn't feel gripped by the story or care much about the characters. I felt disappointed by the "to be continued" ending.

Last Friends (Old Filth Trilogy 3)
Last Friends (Old Filth Trilogy 3)
by Jane Gardam

4.0 out of 5 stars The end of the friends, 29 July 2013
To enjoy this book I think you need to have read the two preceding books Old Filth and The Man In The Wooden Hat in that order so that you know the background to the characters that remain. The writing is a pleasure and the characters larger than life. There is a narrative thread through the series but more an exploration of characters and their inter-relationships.

Unisex Brown Shower Proof Festival/Bucket Hat
Unisex Brown Shower Proof Festival/Bucket Hat

4.0 out of 5 stars A neat hat, 29 July 2013
This is a neat little waterproof hat with a soft lining and slips easily into a raincoat pocket. I wanted it to go with my cream Burberry rani mac and the colour is a good match. The match is with the one labelled "cream".

Bosmere B330 Rectangular Patio Set Cover
Bosmere B330 Rectangular Patio Set Cover

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily covers a large table and six chairs, 29 July 2013
I haven't got space in my shed to store a big table ad six chairs so bought this cover to protect my outdoor furniture through the winter. It's very capacious and easily covers my table (H73 x W90 x L160cm) plus six chairs. It could manage a bigger table and more chairs but the surplus fabric means I can hold down the edges with stones in windy weather.

Right Plant, Right Place.  Over 1400 selected plants for every situation in the garden (Right Plant, Right Place)
Right Plant, Right Place. Over 1400 selected plants for every situation in the garden (Right Plant, Right Place)
by Nicola Ferguson

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration, 29 July 2013
I'm planning to revamp the garden I've inherited from previous owners and this book was recommended by a knowledgeable friend. She was quite right that it is very helpful in the way the book is organized by categories that the novice can understand such as shady, direct sun, moist, dry etc. It also brings together plants by colour, size, perfume and other factors that help one get ideas based on what you have available and your preferences. There are loads of colour photos to help in choosing plus an index of common and botanical names. Impressive and helpful.

GreatShield VIES Nylon Protective Sleeve Case for 7.0 & 8.0-inch Tablet - Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Tab 3 (7.0 & 8.0 inch) / Tab 2 7.0, Googe Nexus 7 / 7 II FHD, Apple iPad Mini II Retina Display / iPad Mini 1st Gen, Blackberry Playbook, Barnes & Noble NOOK HD, Tabtronics Tab, CloudNine Neuropad2 7" and others 7" & 8" inch Touch Screen Android aPad / ePad PC Tablet (Black)
Offered by theWireless USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove, 29 July 2013
I wanted a protective cover for my iPad mini for when I'm travelling. I was afraid that it wouldn't fit over the special Apple magnetic front cover, but it does. It's well-padded so really protects the mini from knocks. It fits pretty tightly so sometimes the magnetic front cover pulls off but otherwise it's just right.

Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers: A Scotland Street Novel (44 Scotland Street)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and charming book, 28 July 2013
I've read all the Scotland Street novels and marvel at how the imaginative stories keep coming. I very much enjoyed this next instalment of life among the Edinburgh New town folk whose lives are interwoven in this series. Like a good soap opera most of the characters have been in the series for years: Bertie, his over-bearing mother, Irene; his long-suffering father, Stuart; Big Lou in her coffee bar frequented by Mathew the new father of triplets born to Elspeth in the last book and newly married Angus Lourdie and his amazing dog. Obnoxious Bruce only makes a fleeting appearance, and Pat finds happiness elsewhere.

Bertie remains the central character forever anticipating being seven which he finally attains in this book. Will he remain seven for several more years? His mother, is a wonderful creation that enables the author to poke fun at extreme feminism, psychoanalysis and dietary restrictions. Irene gets involved in a hilarious train of events that will have to be resolved in the next book. I can't wait.

As someone who's lived and worked in Edinburgh these books give extra pleasure as so many familiar places, people, prejudices (against Glasgow), the independence referendum and local issues (the trams!) are spliced into the narrative.

Superficially, the stories are created to amuse but, as always, there's a undercurrent of philosophical conumdrums and issues of morality that makes one stop and think. Some will feel these books paint a anodyne picture of privileged lives and avoid some of the harsh realities of these uncertain times, but it's not a bad thing to read a book that leaves one feeling happy. Denise Mina gives the other side of Scotland: literally and metaphorically.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard
by Louise Doughty

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing exploration of obsession, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Hardcover)
From the start I was draw into this story of sexual obsession turning a supposedly sensible woman into a slave to her passion. It is an engrossing story with many unexpected twists and turns. It was so enthralling I couldn't stop going back to find out what happened next. It is a book of two halves the first described the affair and the second the outcome of a edge-of-the-seat court case to outcome of which I won't spoil. Riveting stuff!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20