ARRAY(0xab8f7eac)

Profile for Nigel Buckley > Reviews

Content by Nigel Buckley

Nigel Buckley

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
August EP650 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones - Comfortable Leather Cushioned Headset with built-in Microphone, 3.5mm Audio In Socket and Rechargeable Battery - Compatible with Mobile Phones, iPhone, iPad, Laptops, Tablets, Smartphones etc.
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 34.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome!, 19 Feb 2014
I must admit to being a bit sceptical about these headphones - I'd never heard of August before and reading the other reviews saying they were really bassy, I thought 'Yeah, right!'. After all, the figures say the frequency response only goes down to 60 Hz and my Sony in-ear phones go down to 15 Hz and I have to have the eq on my phone set to 'Rock' to get decent bass response.
Well, they arrived and I unpacked them, the first impression was how light they were considering the fact that they have an internal rechargeable battery. The instructions were clear, simple and very easy to understand. I plugged them into the USB port to fully charge and then followed the instructions to pair them with my Samsung Galaxy S2. The pairing was accomplished without a problem then and every time since the phone finds them automatically. Excellent!
Now for the sound - As I already said, I usually have the eq on my phone set to Rock, well, with that setting the bass was overpowering! I set the eq to normal and the sound was stunning - clean, clear, detailed with stunning bass response. I can't emphasise enough how impressed I am with the sound quality, for just under forty quid they are nothing short of astonishing. I have listened to different styles of music from Pink Floyd, Ozric Tentacles, Metallica and Dream Theater to Acoustic folk like Martin Carthy and The Chieftains and I'm just so impressed - I'm hearing details in the music I've never heard before! I'd give the sound quality six stars at least - I can't see any reason to spend more on another make as I don't see how the sound could be bettered.
If I'm so impressed, why haven't I given them five stars? Well, I'm old enough to be a little self-conscious about walking round with full-sized headphones in public. The finish is matt-black - quite 'stealthy' and unobtrusive, but then there's this bright blue LED on the right earpiece flashing away, which is really attention-grabbing. Not good! I don't know if this is common to all Bluetooth headphones or not, but I don't like this feature. I haven't been able to find a way to disable this feature, so I might end up just covering the LED with black tape!
The headphones are really comfortable to wear, light and they fit securely without clamping your ears.
Would I recommend these phones? Absolutely! Apart from the problem with the LED, these are absolutely awesome and the price makes them even better! The best forty quid I've ever spent!

Update 19 March 2014 - I've just used the headphones for the purpose I really intended them, a coach journey of six hours each way. They performed faultlessly! I now know that one charge will last for at least six hours of constant use with spare capacity. How much longer they'd run I don't know, but the estimated eight hours doesn't seem far-fetched at all. The soft leather ear pieces ensure that your ears don't overheat, these are the most comfortable phones I've ever worn! The one thing I was concerned about before I bought them was the volume, would they be loud enough? After all, you can't use a headphone amp on Bluetooth if they aren't. Well, they were brilliant, plenty loud enough on a local bus full of mums with children nattering away at full volume. The noise isolation was pretty good too, you could hear your surroundings in the gaps between tracks, but when the music started you just heard the music and you don't have to turn them up a lot to drown out the background. On the quieter coach journey, they were excellent, just turned them down slightly as there was a lot less background noise. So, unless you want ear-bleeding volume, I'd say they were plenty loud enough. The quality of the sound constantly impresses me with no noticeable background hiss, much better than my Philips wireless home headphones (Which I've now discarded in favour of the August Bluetooth!). I'm very happy with my purchase and highly recommend these to anyone thinking of venturing into Bluetooth headphone territory!

G-Shock Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Black Resin Strap GW-2310-1ER
Offered by The Watch Den
Price: 75.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch - Not a Shock!, 4 Feb 2014
I have owned several Casio watches from the very first LCD models up to the Edifice Waveceptor. My eyesight is getting worse and I was struggling to see the day indicator on the analogue Edifice, so I chose this model as a cheaper replacement that would be easier to read. I undid the fancy Casio packaging and examined the watch, everything was in order and the battery indicator was showing 'Mid' charge. I placed the watch on a bright windowsill to fully charge and read the manual. I mean I downloaded the PDF manual from Casio's website, the text in the printed manual is far too small for me to read comfortably! The manual is extremely pessimistic about the watch's recharging ability and it's radio reception. According to the manual, this model is about 50% as efficient at charging as my Edifice model, in practice this supposed shortfall is unnoticeable. I charged it up to 'High' before I started wearing the watch and the indicator hasn't moved in a week of normal wear in an English winter! As for the radio signal reception, it's not failed to receive the setting signal in the week that I've used it. That's despite the manual saying it must be on a windowsill, with 12 o'clock facing the window - the watch never leaves my wrist!! It receives the signal every night, despite being under the bed covers on my wrist! The initial set-up was extremely easy, all done in less than five minutes. It's easy to read and the light makes it just as easy to read in the dark. So far, so good - now for the downside.
The one drawback I've found, and it's been commented on by other reviewers, is the strap. It's a stiff resin strap and not particularly comfortable to wear. It's also rather short. I'm no Goliath, but there are only two holes spare at the end of the strap so, if you've got largish wrists, this model may not suit you. I really wanted to get a watch with a metal bracelet, but couldn't justify the extra expense!
For the 65 I paid for this watch, it's excellent, especially when you consider that it does everything my stainless steel Edifice does and more at a fifth of the price! Yes, it could be better, but then it'd probably cost more! All in all, I would recommend this to anyone it fits.

TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Foolproof Networking?, 12 Dec 2013
I ordered these to connect a blu ray player to the network and internet. As it's situated well away from my router, not Wi-Fi capable and it would be very awkward to directly connect via Ethernet cable I thought I'd try these. I wasn't even sure that the sockets I wanted to use were on the same circuit, but at this price I thought I'd try it. They arrived, I unpacked them, connected the equipment with cat. 6 Ethernet leads and plugged the adapters into the mains sockets. Seconds later all the lights on the adapters were illuminated and everything was working as it should. Simples! I couldn't believe how easy it was. I normally have to battle with something or other to get things to do what I need, but these just work. Excellent! The only, very minor, gripe is that the LEDs are blue, not the usual green I was expecting, but that's being really nit-picking. Would I recommend these adapters? Absolutely!

USB 512GB FLASH DRIVE
USB 512GB FLASH DRIVE

1.0 out of 5 stars What A Con!, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: USB 512GB FLASH DRIVE
I must admit I thought this was a con, as I didn't see how he could do this at this price. I mean, you can pay more than this for a 32Gb drive and this one is half a terabyte? It arrived, I unpacked it, plugged it into my computer and checked the properties - yes, it really was as advertised!!!! It was already formatted as NTFS and had 499Gb available to use. I still don't understand how he can sell at this price, but I'm certainly not complaining, in fact I'll probably order more, but how much storage do I really need? How much is too much? At this price you can try and find out!

Update: The NTFS formatting appears to have been just a 'quick format'. It lasted a day, until my TV reported 'NTFS partition dirty. Clean with PC' I inserted the drive into my PC, did a quick format of NTFS and then tried it again in my TV. It still came up with the error message. As I wanted to use the drive to put videos on to and use it as a PVR drive, this was a problem. I then tried to do a full NTFS format, but it got about an eighth of the way through and wouldn't go any further. I returned the drive to it's default setting of exFAT (I'd never heard of this, but it turns out it's a proprietary Microsoft format for flash drives!). It then worked perfectly in my PC, but my TV wouldn't recognise the exFAT format! It's still a bargain, but it won't do what I wanted it to do, so beware! If you want to use it in a PC, Great! But maybe not so good if you want to use it in other equipment?

Further Update: These are NOT 512 Gb drives, these are FAKES!! They are faulty drives that should have been rejected, but have been programmed to give a false capacity reading. I don't know what the true capacity is, but I don't really care, I wouldn't trust anything of worth to be stored on this drive anyway! I knew it was a gamble buying this, as the price is too good to be true. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is! Greed triumphed over common sense this time, but you live and learn! Avoid these drives like the plague!

XLC Tool Bottle. Allows storage of tools and tubes in your bottle cage. Standard size (400ml)
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd
Price: 5.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit!, 1 Dec 2013
I got this to use as a battery compartment for my Cree lights. I have two lights, so two battery packs dangling from the frame in their little nylon bags didn't look too good or feel very secure. This standard size is a perfect fit for two battery packs, one on top of the other, as long as you remove the batteries from their nylon bags. I just drilled a hole in the lid to pass the leads through, fitted the batteries, cut and fit a circle from a black rubber glove over the leads and glued it to the top of the bottle and, hey presto, one waterproof battery compartment to power two Cree lights. Excellent! As it says in the description, tubes and tools could be fitted instead, it all depends on what you need most. It's an excellent product and very useful if you don't use your bottle cage for drinks.

Amzdeal Cree XML Xm-l T6 1800 Lm LED Cycling Bike Bicycle Head Light Headlamp Headlight
Offered by ANYUANWEISHI321
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Light., 21 Nov 2013
I bought this light because I'd bought a 3x Cree light and the charger had exploded and I needed another charger. This light has a UK charger and is delivered from the UK, so that was it! The charger worked perfectly and didn't explode after ten minutes, so I fully charged the battery pack and tried the light. It is extremely bright, brighter with one LED than the 3x Cree light is when set on two LEDs. I had looked at the photos in the description showing the light output and thought 'Yeah, right!', but it really is that powerful! It has a more focussed beam with an area surrounding the main beam slightly dimmer, the 3x Cree light has a much broader spread that is evenly distributed. I have both lights fitted to my bike now and use the 3x Cree one set to 2 LEDs as a dipped beam to light the area immediately in front of the bike and the Amzdeal Cree I use as a main beam to light the way ahead in the darker areas. Battery life is OK, but I'd take the advertised run-times with a large pinch of salt! As other reviewers have mentioned, the flashing mode - WHY? The flash rate is so fast it's dangerous, it's not a flash, it's a strobe! I certainly wouldn't want to use this mode when cycling down an unlit track. One major criticism I have is the handlebar mount. The rubber band fittings are secure enough under normal riding conditions but, if you want to leave your bike parked somewhere, it's much too easy for some little tea-leaf to just unsnap them and walk off with your lights, but it's a real hassle if you're in the dark somewhere and want to remove the lights for security. I'd like to see the method other lights use where there is a bracket securely fitted to the bike and the lights slide on and off them. I think that would be much more satisfactory. All in all, a good light but it could easily be improved.

M-Wave 90mm Bicycle Handlebar Organizer
M-Wave 90mm Bicycle Handlebar Organizer
Offered by bikes4life limited
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lightweight Bracket!, 21 Nov 2013
I ordered one of these originally, but when I saw it on the bike I realised that it was going to be slightly too narrow for what I wanted, so I ordered another. I fitted the two mounts either side of the stem and tried the two bars side by side. 90mm was too short, but 180mm was going to be too long, so I found another bar to fit tightly inside the two plastic tubes, Araldited them together and then used a plumber's pipe cutter to trim them to 120mm long. Using the pipe cutter was very simple and ensured a neat finish with no jagged edges or uneven cuts. Finally, I fitted the extended bar into the two brackets and was able to mount two lights with space in between for a cycle computer/GPS unit. The end result is a secure mounting point for accessories that is neat and professional-looking. I'm extremely happy with the finish and build quality and highly recommend these to anyone looking for a little more space to mount accessories

3x CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Headlight 4 Modes 3800 Lumens + battery + charger
3x CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Headlight 4 Modes 3800 Lumens + battery + charger
Offered by vogue-us
Price: 23.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Light, Dangerous Charger!!, 6 Nov 2013
The light arrived after a seemingly interminable wait. OK, it's free delivery and it's got to come from the other side of the world, but three weeks wait seemed like forever! I connected the light to the battery pack and tried it, it worked for about three seconds and then died. I connected the battery pack to the charger and sat down to write an email or two while it charged. After about ten minutes there was a big blue flash, a deafening bang and bits of battery charger flew all over the room!! On inspection, the two metal bars that take the 240 volt power into the charger had been melted and the circuit board and casing around them destroyed!! I am now left with a brand new light and no way to charge it. I contacted the seller and heard back the next day, they offered me a full refund that I have accepted. The service from the seller was excellent, but I now have to find a way to charge the battery pack so that I can use the light. Luckily, the explosion (And I mean explosion, I'm not exaggerating!) doesn't appear to have caused any secondary damage as it could easily have done. I'm going to be very careful about the next charger!
I can't really comment on the light itself, it appeared to be very bright and have a good beam pattern in the few seconds it was working, but how good it is on a bike remains to be seen.

Cateye Bm-500 Race Mirror
Cateye Bm-500 Race Mirror
Offered by Parkers of Bolton
Price: 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish!, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Cat Eye BM-500G (Sports)
I must admit that I didn't buy this mirror from Amazon. I bought the Cat Eye mirror on the strength of their reputation for quality products - BIG mistake! It fitted easily enough and looked good but, when sat on the bike, all I could see was a perfect image of my elbow! Because of the angle of the upright and the fact that the mirror mounts in the middle of the lens it's not really a bar-end mirror, as most of the mirror sits just above your right hand. Also the stalk attaching the mirror to the handlebar mount is only about three millimetres thick and very flimsy. The first fall I had, which was only a very minor one, was the end of the Cat Eye. I now use a Zefal Cyclops mirror and I'm extremely happy with it, excellent rear visibility, easy adjustment and reasonably sturdy. I certainly wouldn't recommend the Cat Eye mirror to anyone as I think it's not fit for the purpose intended and very flimsy for the price paid.

HOTER Sportline Head Band, Terry Cloth Headband, Sweat Band, Sweatband
HOTER Sportline Head Band, Terry Cloth Headband, Sweat Band, Sweatband
Offered by Ayozen
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Join The Band!, 7 Oct 2013
This sweatband is excellent. I didn't really expect a great deal of this band from the low price, but it's really thick and absorbent. Plus it's very stretchy too, fits all sizes. I would recommend this band to anyone, especially those looking to do John McEnroe impressions!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10