Profile for M. Williams > Reviews

Content by M. Williams
Top Reviewer Ranking: 196

M. Williams "Matt Williams" (Essex, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rapesco Z T-Duo Staple Tacker with 300 Staples, Uses Staples 13 and 53/4-8 mm - Blue/Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars You must read the instructions, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being male I didn't bother to read the instructions and just tried to figure out how the Z T-Due stapler works. This was a huge mistake and caused me to initially have very negative feelings about the product that ultimately weren't justified.

It helps to know two things about this product when you first use it:

Firstly, inserting staples. When you open up the clip to insert your staples you can actually insert them the right way or the wrong way. The right way involves aiming the stapler at your face, revealing a tray to hold your strip of staples. The wrong way is to insert your staples onto the back of the mechanism, in which case it simply doesn't work and the staples rattle around inside. I've knocked one star off my review because of this. Why have a product for which the user HAS to read the instructions? What if someone borrows it and you haven't kept the instructions with it? It could have been designed so that the Staples would only go in on the correct side.

Secondly, the locking and unlocking mechanism on the lever. Even reading the instructions I spent some time thinking my stapler was broken. When I eventually figured it out the whole thing makes sense, but it still feels like this is the bit that's going to cause problems in the future. As a safety feature, if you pull the lever outward as if you're trying to break it, you pull the lever into a position where it stays flatter to the main body, and it won't fire staples. To make the device work you have to push it into a locked position at which point the whole stapler works the way you would expect. Mine arrived shipped in the safe position and it was really not obvious to me how to make it work. I haven't knocked a star off my rating for this, but I think it would be worth improving the instructions to make it clearer to the user. There is a little diagram hidden in the handle that shows how it works, but it's small and lacks comforting details.

Anyway... with these points dealt with, what is this tacker like to actually use? Very very powerful, which surprises you when you're holding it because it feels like it's made of plastic. But actually inside is a metal frame, and apparently the plastic is ABS which is very strong. Only time will tell if the plastic is really up to the job, and I have to say, I suspect that if something breaks it will be the locking handle mechanism.

Finally, it's worth mentioning the positioning guide that you can clip onto the device. This doesn't make much sense to me and I've left it off when I have done my stapling. The little clip is a mixture of sturdy plastic and clever design, but with a locking mechanism that is hard to use and feels like it will wear out at some stage and become unusable - it's the way it friction locks into place.

So, in summary, this is a sturdy and reasonably priced tacker, but I would prefer if it didn't absolutely require you to read instructions before using it.

Rapesco Whale Plier Stapler with 50 Sheet Capacity - Charcoal
Rapesco Whale Plier Stapler with 50 Sheet Capacity - Charcoal

5.0 out of 5 stars Very definite and sturdy stapling action, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For about 10 years I've used the Rapesco Spinna stapler and still think it is my favourite. But having tried the Rapesco Whale I'm starting to see that owning more than one heavy duty stapler might be the way to go.

I absolutely hate normal staplers. They foul up, they run out of staples, and this adds huge stress when you're trying to ship out a bundle of printed letters or reports. The Whale hardly ever fouls up. It uses the full force of your squeezing fist to deliver stapling power, using a robust metal mechanism.

The mechanism to reload staples in the Whale is just like the Spinna - it is dead simple, with a button at the back which makes the staple tray fly out the front. It's a clever design because it can take lots more staples than a standard stapler - maybe half as many again as a normal stapler which means you spend little time doing anything but stapling. The Spinna can take even more staples in its tray than the Whale, so it's even less likely to run out just when you need it.

The major difference between the Whale and the Spinna is that the Spinna can rest on your desk while you press down on it to staple your paper. The Whale is really best suited to being hand-held. The Whale also doesn't have a positioning guide so every staple you do is going to be in a slightly different place - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but with a Spinna you at least have the choice of using the positioning guide.

Rapesco Stapler with Staples Set - Spinna Stapler with 5,000 26/8mm Staples
Rapesco Stapler with Staples Set - Spinna Stapler with 5,000 26/8mm Staples

5.0 out of 5 stars Without question - my favourite stapler, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second Spinna, the first of which is still going strong, and I am convinced will still be stapling after I die. The first one I bought about ten years ago and the only difference I can see is that the old one had a little rubber foot at the back and one at the front. The new one just has a rubber foot at the front. I don't think this matters as it stays where you need it on your desk when stapling and most times you pick it up to use it anyway.

The Rapesco Spinna is without question my favourite stapler. The worst thing with a stapler is when it fails to do its job properly - when it fouls up a staple either by not going through the paper, or just mangling the metal so you have to remove it and try again. The thicker your stack of paper the more likely it is to foul up. Well the Spinna is such a meaty thing that a fouled staple is very much a rarity. This means you waste little time when you have a big stack of stapling to do.

You also waste little time refilling the Spinna with staples. The mechanism to reload them is dead simple with the button at the back which makes the staple tray fly out the front. It's a clever design because it can take lots more staples than a standard stapler - maybe double the normal amount - which means, once again, you spend little time doing anything but stapling.

It's worth noting that the Spinna can take the two normal sizes of staples - 24/6-8mm and 26/6-8mm so you're always going to be able to find refills, and this one comes with a box of 5000 spare staples in addition to the single strip that come preloaded.

I am currently also trying out the Rapesco Whale stapler which in many ways is similar to the Spinna. The difference is that it is really only designed for hand-held stapling and it takes about 30% fewer staples in its clip. The advantage is that it might have a little bit more power than the Spinna, but then it doesn't have the Spinna's positioning guide, so it really is a case of choosing the one that best meets your needs.

Tesco Hudl 2 Black Replacement Full Screen LCD Digitizer Assembly (Replacment Screen only, not full tablet)

5.0 out of 5 stars A successful operation, 20 July 2016
I was kind of dreading replacing my cracked Hudl 2 screen. I had watched the YouTube videos which show the way to do it - essentially you dismantle the whole thing from the back plate heading toward the screen, then you rebuild it starting with your new unbroken screen.

The first thing I did was to damage my back cover beyond repair in the process of removing it. I don't really know why this was because I was quite careful. Maybe it was just that my device was old and the plastic brittle. In any case I ordered a replacement back and now the whole thing is reassembled it is just like new.

Having replaced the screen and charged with a new confidence I took the opportunity to replace the battery too, although I don't think this has helped to increase battery life - I suspect that with every upgrade to Android its battery consumption has increased unchecked. To all intents and purposes I now have a brand new Hudl 2 which has made me very happy. It's a pity Tesco stopped selling them because they're still quite a competitive tablet for the price.

Post-it Recycled Notes - Canary Yellow - 12 Pads Per Pack - 100 Sheets Per Pad - 76 mm x 127 mm
Offered by Trans Office Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard rectangular Post-it pads - but 100% recycled, 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the way I prefer to get my Post-it Notes - in a solid block wrapped in cellophane that contains two stacks of six Post-it pads. Each pad is individually wrapped. By the time it has been shipped by Amazon and arrived on my desk all the pads are still in perfect condition, not warped or dented.

This size of Post-it note is where it all began being 127mm by 76mm. As 3M explored other sizes they moved to the smaller 76mm by 76mm square pads and the even smaller 50mm by 38mm rectangular pads. This kind of note has enough space to write in bigger letters, or to go into more detail with your writing.

These pads are recycled and are 60% based on a plant that grows annually, so fairly sustainable, I guess apart from the cellophane wrapping.

The pads I received don't look like the product photo, the cellophane wrapping is simpler and focuses on the fact that they're 100% recycled.

Oral-B Smart Series 5000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Smart Series 5000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toothbrush but I recommend buying the version with the SmartGuide, 15 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is our second Oral-B 5000 rechargeable toothbrush and in reality we could have soldiered on with the old one for several more years without replacing it. The main thing that ages is the toothbrush head and because you replace it every three months or so, the gradual build-up of gunk on the handle never really becomes a bother.

The first thing you're probably asking is why I've knocked one star off my rating of this toothbrush? It's because the old one it replaces had a SmartGuide and I really think you should try and get a model that includes this as it is a lot more convenient than using your smartphone with the app over Bluetooth. You can buy this 5000 series toothbrush with a SmartGuide, and the cost isn't necessarily that much higher than the version I'm reviewing here, just so long as you buy it when it is discounted.

Anyway... this model doesn't have the SmartGuide, so let's get down to business. It comes with a plastic stand to put your phone on while you're cleaning your teeth. This is tricky in our bathroom because every available space is filled with something so I'm always risking propping it in a way that will send my phone flying to the floor. You have the minor issue of getting your phone dirty, and if you have a phone case this can add an extra complexity to the job of setting it up in your bathroom.

The app has come along in leaps and bounds over the years, and I suspect that Bluetooth pairing has gradually improved to. I haven't had any difficulty pairing my phone with my toothbrush, but of course your mileage may differ.

I find that the real benefit of monitoring your toothbrushing is that it prompts you to clean your teeth for longer which is supposed to be really good when it comes to avoiding plaque buildup.

This brush came with three different heads so you can experiment to find the type you like. My personal favourite is CrossAction head and these work out at just over a tenner for a pack of four. The stand is designed to store a family of four's toothbrush heads, and unlike some other makes (Philips for example) you get the feeling that this is a brush to be used by the whole family, not just one person.

Post-it R330-1T 76mm x 76mm Recycled Z-Notes Pad Tower Pack - Pastel Yellow (Box of 16, 100 Sheets Per Pad)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mildly entertaining but make absolutely sure you understand what a Z-Notes pad is, 15 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I ordered these Post-it Notes I missed the bit about them being Z-Notes and this was regretable. Regretable partly because this is a stack of 16 pads each containing 100 Post-it Notes so I am currently in possession of 1,600 of them, so any mistakes made in ordering are going to be suffered over quite a long period of time.

You know how normal Post-it Notes work, all the glue is up one end of the pad. Well Z-Notes are stuck in alternate directions so every one you peel off is 180 degrees reversed to the previous one.

This reversal means that if you normally write on your Post-it Notes while they are still stuck to the pad then you will find yourself in possession of an awful lot of upside down notes - that is unless you spend the time to check which direction the next note is coming off at.

If you have a special dispenser then this won't be an issue, and in this case you will find these notes particularly easy and quick to use. I bought the Post-it Stone Shaped Z-Notes Dispenser because it was the cheapest Post-it branded dispenser for Z-Notes and they now make a lot more sense. To use them you have to remove your note from the pad first by pulling it from the dispenser and then you always know it's the right way up.

One fun thing about these pads is when you show them to people, you can make them believe you are a magician because it looks like you're a particularly skilled card shuffler as you hold the top note and pull the pad apart concertina style before rapidly returning it to its original pad form. Unfortunately the novelty of this wears off after a while, and it's not a trick you should rely on to get you into the Magic Circle - for this something more complex and confounding is required.

Phot-R Small Soft Neoprene Protector Pouch Case Bag for DSLR Camera Lenses
Phot-R Small Soft Neoprene Protector Pouch Case Bag for DSLR Camera Lenses

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly cheap - good quality for the price, 6 July 2016
I got the small version of this pouch and it is incredibly cheap so it would be unfair to level any real criticism at it.

The lens I store in this pouch is a Canon 40mm pancake lens - one of the smallest lenses Canon makes for SLR cameras, and there is plenty of space for it. I wouldn't say it's too big for this lens, but had the pouch been a bit smaller my lens would still fit.

The clip on the side is sturdy and hasn't let me down yet. The string tie with spring-loaded friction grip is pretty good at holding the lens inside.

One improvement that would be nice is if there were some way of making the whole thing a bit more water resistant. You can't tie it tight enough to stop rain coming in the little hole. Maybe you can get around this by putting your lens in a bag inside this one, but then you're making it quite challenging to get your lens out when you need it.

Just Contempo Paisley Duvet Cover Set - Double, Grey
Just Contempo Paisley Duvet Cover Set - Double, Grey
Offered by Just Contempo

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensibly priced - bold design - reversible, 6 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're looking at the product photo which shows a relatively dark design and thinking that when reversed it will be lighter in colour you're going to be disappointed. The reverse has a darker colour background with a mid grey paisley pattern. I suppose if you find the front design garish then the darker back design might appeal, being a bit easier on the eye. It's a big paisley design which feels modern, maybe requiring the right setting in your bedroom - it won't go with every style.

The 50% cotton 50% polyester mix fabric is not particularly smooth being quite a coarse weave compared to finer Egyptian cotton sheets. But when you rest your face on the pillow cases it's reasonably comfortable. It's certainly consistent in quality with the price. The longer you own this kind of fabric and the more you wash it the softer and more comfortable it becomes.

Included in this set is a duvet cover and two pillow cases. You don't get a sheet, you'll need to find that elsewhere. You do get a litle square black pillow case, but mine went straight in the recycling, I don't see the point.

Post-it® Index Flags - Blue - Repositionable - 50 Flags Per Pack - 25mm
Post-it® Index Flags - Blue - Repositionable - 50 Flags Per Pack - 25mm
Offered by Hellifield Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly more economical than the index flags that are half this size, 5 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There seem to be an almost infinite variety of these Post-it index flags, so if you've happened upon this review, welcome!

The Post-it Index flags that I have used for many years are 12mm wide by 43.2mm long which is just under half the width of these ones. The smaller sort are good for making temporary notes in a multi-page A4 printed document. These wider index flags are a lot more noticeable, with just over double the surface area, so you can see them from further away, and because they have double the amount of sticky surface they stay in place very effectively.

The big question, and one that I don't know if I can answer for you conclusively, is how do you decide which size to buy? Small index flags usually come in packs of five different colours. Do you need different colours? Hard to say. If you're like me, you probably use one colour throughout when marking up your document. Do the small ones cost less? Surprisingly, no, they often cost more per hundred than these big ones, because you're paying extra for a multi-coloured dispenser - you need five dispensers instead of one. So 100 of these large flags are quite competitively priced. They will last you a fair time, and because they're big you might be more inclined to re-use them instead of throwing them away. They do after all survive multiple uses very well.

If you do use a bunch of different coloured index flags then you might be better off buying the smaller version, otherwise, you should find that these work very well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20