Profile for Fiona > Reviews

Content by Fiona

Fiona (Scotland)

HTC SENSATION & (NEW "XE") 10-IN-1 PACK SCREEN PROTECTOR CASE / GUARD / COVER / SHIELD / FILM

1.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I was sent something entirely different?, 7 May 2012
I've tried maybe two other vendors' screen protectors and have struggled (like everyone else with this phone) to find something that fits well. This product is no different to the ones I spent 99p (plus free postage) on a couple of months ago. Except, clearly, considerably more expensive in comparison.

Between my partner and I, we went through 8 of the 10 trying to get one on without a lopsided overlap of the bevel. Some sort of centre line marker would make these things much more useful. And, of course, the static cling that keeps the film on your phone attracts all the dust that will ever exist in your house and probably half your street. Removing the 2nd outer layer pulled the protective layer off the screen, so don't spend too much time pushing any air bubbles out.

While trying to apply these, I noticed that the shapes of the corners didn't match to one another. The one that I finally got on to my phone as straight as I could doesn't stick around the edges, where the screen bevel is, so there's a fairly visible line where the plastic will likely pick up all and sundry fluff when I put it in my pocket/bag/whatever over the next few weeks. I appreciate that it's probably impossible to get something (other than maybe the HTC branded protectors) that will be a perfect fit because of the shape of the screen. The description of this is still somewhat misleading; "perfect" is far from the word I would use.

And when I need to replace the protector, as I'm sure I will, I'll be buying more of the 99p ones, as they are more or less exactly the same thing.

Micro B USB Sync Cable for Amazon Kindle / HTC / Nokia / Samsung / Blackberry / Sony Ericsson etc
Offered by Cregan ONLINE

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all suitable for charging., 5 April 2012
I bought this for my HTC phone, as the original cable developed a fault that meant it would only work if I placed my phone in a series of increasingly exacting positions, which would then be wrong a few minutes later. This cable is titled 'Sync Cable' but the product description implies that it also doubles as a charging cable, much as the ones bundled with handsets do.

This cable is incredibly slow to charge. I plugged it in, using the HTC socket charger unit, as I went to bed. 7 1/2 hours later, it had charged my phone from 43% to 56%. I haven't tried it as a data sync cable; it might well be fine for that though is unlikely to charge the phone as the data is syncing.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars As many others have said..., 5 April 2012
The cable that arrived is certainly not an HTC cable. The product description also claims that this would be perfect for charging the phone's battery. It's not. While it might charge the battery eventually, it's not really fit for that purpose. As a data sync cable, it's fine though.

At the 20% low battery alert, I plugged my phone into the USB using this cable. The data sync was fine but the battery discharged much faster than this was charging it, leading to the 10% battery warning about an hour later. Given that I often use my phone while it's plugged in to charge (love smartphones, hate that they all seem to use the battery power so quickly) this means the cable is virtually useless. Even charging while I'm asleep isn't much of an option, unless I sleep for 2 days.

The Bestseller: A psychological thriller that will keep you guessing
The Bestseller: A psychological thriller that will keep you guessing

4.0 out of 5 stars No homo?, 21 Oct. 2011
I've just started reading this and am enjoying it so far, except for one thing. I'm maybe two and a bit chapters in and there's been three digs at gay people (the Head of Faculty who's a man-hating lesbian; the Dean who is probably a lesbian; the publishing agent who's gay - and therefore bad at his job, apparently.)

It is with some trepidation that I'm going back in to read more...

Resuscitation
Resuscitation

4.0 out of 5 stars Believable, with one error., 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Resuscitation (Kindle Edition)
The premise and plot of this book are undeniably well thought out, and equally well researched. I raced through it in a short time, and while a couple of plot points were telegraphed in advance, the important ones were surprising. Certain references made the book more real and believable, as did the level of medical description of various procedures and conditions. All this served to make the statement that 'blood type O- is the rarest' the moment when the other shoe drops and belief drops from its suspension. This is about 98% of the Kindle version, within the last few pages.

Blood type AB- is rarest.

Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto
Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto

5.0 out of 5 stars We should've occupied Parliament those 3 days in May..., 19 May 2011
Having seen this show in Aberdeen, I may be a shade biased on the quality of this book. Sadly, none of my numerous policy ideas made it to the vote, never mind the book, though it's heartening to learn that others suggested marriage equality irrespective of sexual orientation.

The book, as Mark Thomas' other books and work are, is entertaining and informative, as well as well-researched. Who knew that so many people hate the Daily Mail that much??

Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi)
Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for medium format film, 27 April 2011
I got this scanner about a month ago, and have rather rapidly been disappointed by it. Being quite time-poor these days, I did the best research I could before making my purchase. Perhaps I was using the wrong search terms online and on Amazon itself ('120/medium format film scanner', if you're wondering) because this particular one was listed, even though on the troubleshooting FAQ page, they specifically say "Film larger than 35 mm (such as Medium Format or 4 x 5-inch size films) cannot be scanned."

Despite the obvious setbacks, I have successfully scanned a number of my negatives and the resulting images have been pretty much what I was hoping for. However, the scanner has developed a habit of giving me, as a preview image, a rectangle of rainbow colours. That would be fine if I took photos of rainbows or psychedelic trips, but not so much black and white architerctural shots. The last successful scan (by successful, I mean that it produced recognisable images) left distinct lines across all the images.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the whole thing, especially as it's probably just past the time limit for Amazon's returns period. I'll be attempting to recoup some my losses by selling it on Gumtree, and looking for a scanner that will both scan medium format film *and* the actual images in the scanner.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2012 11:48 PM GMT

Free [CD 1]
Free [CD 1]
Offered by dabsales

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not punk, 11 April 2007
This review is from: Free [CD 1] (Audio CD)
Contrary to what the previous (and, so far, only) reviewer says, VAST are nothing like Green Day or Blink 182. Sure, you might like it anyway, if you are a punk fan, but don't expect something even close. VAST are out and out rock. Possibly alternative, if you want a genre.

The song itself is fantastic and I defy any listener to not feel uplifted and empowered by it; it's one of the best songs for when someone's really bringing you down and trying to control you. As for the single, I'd say do yourself a favour and buy Music for People, the album that this is taken from, instead.

The Goddess Guide
The Goddess Guide
by Gisèle Scanlon

2.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, but..., 22 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
It's a bit 'look at my fabulous life, don't you feel jealous of me?'

Don't get me wrong, there is lots of useful stuff in it, but the name dropping and the chi-chi little boutiques that only a certain sort of income will allow and the must-have Creme de la Mer.... It's a rarified lifestyle that, while many of us would be happy to live, not all of us can have. And one thing about expensive skin care; most of it isn't worth the packaging it's wrapped up in!

Anybody Out There
Anybody Out There
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Take out shares in Kleenex..., 10 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Anybody Out There (Paperback)
I've been a big fan of Marian Keyes for a while now, as I love her way of taking a serious subject and making it managable. After all, isn't that what people do in those situations? I'm not a big crier, Titanic and stuff like that are more likely to make me want to vomit. However, this book had me reaching for the tissues more than once. I think it's her way of writing about emotions in such a way that every word rings true. Including the bits that we're sometimes too ashamed to admit to publicly. But of course, the humour makes the book what it is. The scene at the end as Jaqui's waiting to go to hospital had me crying again, though with laughter this time.

Bravo, I say, Marian. You have outdone yourself and I can't recommend this book highly enough to anyone who has a heart.